Haseltine Lake Kempner Trainee Patent Attorney Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Find jobs for Trainee Patent Attorney

Haseltine Lake Kempner Trainee Patent Attorney Interview Questions

Interviews at Haseltine Lake Kempner

Interviews for Top Jobs at Haseltine Lake Kempner

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Haseltine Lake Kempner (Bristol, England) in December 2020.

Interview

I applied online with a cover letter and CV. The application form also asked three questions which had to be answered in 100 words or less. These questions seemed designed to test my ability to describe complicated concepts clearly.

A few weeks later I was invited to a selection day which, due the COVID-19 pandemic, was held online via Teams. The day consisted of a welcome call from HR, interview with two partners, a technical test and finally a meeting with current trainees. It was well organised and links for each of calls were sent out in good time.

I really enjoyed my interview with the partners, who were very pleasant and seemed genuinely interested in my answers. It was obvious that they had read my CV and cover letter carefully, which is not often the case at other firms! Following this the technical test involved a proof reading exercise and a written exercise where I was asked to write a lay summary of a complicated document. The day finished with a call with current trainees who could answer any questions I had.

I really enjoyed the selection day, and was very pleased to receive an offer. Although I turned it down and accepted another firm's offer, there was certainly nothing that put me off HLK and the selection day left me with a great impression of the firm. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a trainee patent attorney position.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to HLK? Why do you want to become a patent attorney?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Haseltine Lake Kempner

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Haseltine Lake Kempner (Bristol, England) in December 2020.

Interview

I applied for the trainee patent attorney programme with HLK in London in November. The application required submission of CV, covering letter, LinkedIN profile, as well as three written exercises of 100 words each, including a description of a recent science or technology of interest, a personal skill suited to the patent law profession, and the mechanism of a door key. I received an invitation to the assessment day 2.5 weeks after the application deadline.
    The assessment day was held in mid December. It consisted of a short briefing by HR, followed by a video interview with two partners of HLK. The interviewers were very friendly and appeared to have read my CV in detail. There was a mixture of CV-related questions, as well as some technical questions. Overall, the atmosphere was great and easygoing. Afterwards, there was two hours of allocated time to complete three written tasks: proof reading of a document, writing a letter to the council about a parking fine, and writing an article for a high school student with limited background knowledge about a technology (in this case CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing) based on a longer technical document. At the end of the assessment day, these exercises were sent to HR as word documents per email.
    Finally, there was some time allocated to meet two current graduate trainee patent attorneys, which was really nice and gave great insight into the company. I was very happy to receive feedback just a few days after the assessment day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a moment that made you proud.   Answer Question
    • Describe your A-level high school subjects and examinations (I had not added them to the CV).   Answer Question
    • A company is working with a benzene ring with an iodine (iodobenzene). What other molecules could you include in a patent to make the patent more broadly applicable?   Answer Question
    • As trainee patent attorney you will receive a lot of feedback and criticism on your written work. Documents might come back to you completely pencilled in red. How do you think you would cope with this?   Answer Question

Trainee Patent Attorney Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Haseltine Lake Kempner.

Interview

When I arrived at the office there was first a quick explanation of the process from the HR manager. Then there was an hour to write a description of an office appliance, some quite odd Supaclip thing I had never seen before, after which there was an interview with two members of the firm. Interview covered the previous task and other topics. To round off the interview there was one final task involving writing a letter to the council and proofreading a document.

Interview Questions

• Explain gravity, as if you were speaking to a 10 year old?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Haseltine Lake Kempner (London, England) in November 2016.

Interview

Fairly straight forward application via email. HR then contacted me to set up and interview day. On the day, I was asked several motivational questions and asked to describe the projects I had worked on. After this, I had to complete a test which comprised of proof reading a document, writing a letter to the council and describing and object (mechanical pencil). There was an hour limit for this to be done.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Patent Attorney?
      Describe a project that you have done.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.