Hiscox Pricing Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hiscox Pricing Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Hiscox

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Hiscox (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied at the beginning of Aug'17.
The whole process took about 7 weeks.It was split into 4 stages:
1. Telephone interview with HR representative - conversation about my reasons for applying, my strengths and what can I bring to the business,my plans and expectations.
2.About 2 weeks later - online critical thinking test (provided by Watson-Glaser) - I practise those tests for about 3 days and got 93% in the actual test. Don't worry if you dont do very well at the beginning as practising really helps in this kind of tests (I am foreigner and English is not my first language) and there is plenty of online companies providing this type of tests (for under £20).
3. Week later - face to face interview (over 2h long) with pricing team manager and senior pricing analyst that consisted of 2 parts: 1st - I had to do another critical thinking test (1h) and following the test I had to take them through my my of reasoning etc.Then I had to talk about my experience and how it can be utilised in insurance business (my background is in energy pricing), my strengths and what I can offer that position.They also asked my about pricing process in insurance industry and the difference between pricing in energy and insurance industry.Also there were some questions about the my understanding of challenges the insurance industry faces and how I would act in a specific situation.Overall the interview was held in very friendly atmosphere.
4. 2 weeks later final interview with Head of Pricing and HR representative - the HoP seemed to be really poorly prepared for the interview , at the beginning he said he would ask me some technical questions and his line of questioning was like: what formulas , functions did you use in excel ?? (sic), how complicated they were..., I think he just really wanted to go through it as soon as possible and to keep up the appearances but he's made his decision in first couple of minutes and the rest was bulls...ing really. The lady from HR asked a number of standard competency based questions , nothing unusual (communication,adaptability,making mistakes and learning from them, problem solving situations etc.). I had a feeling that the fact that I was foreigner was the main issue and they were not that keen on the way I communicated ,at some point I couldnt help that the whole interview was only to help them to go through the motions to adhere the official line that the company is inclusive and fair and don't discriminate on the ground of nationality... but my gut was telling me that wasnt the whole story... For instance when i started asnwering the question about the pricing process in insurance (which I knew very well) the HR just interrupted me at some point and said that its enough and moved to another question.
Its a bit sad but i think they really are a bit hermetic company and not that open as they say.

Interview Questions

• 1st interview
    Tell us about your backgroun/experience (energy industry)?
    How can you use that experience to bring value to Hiscox?
    What are your strenghts and weaknesses?
    What do you know about pricing in insurance industry?
    How do you think pricing process differs between energy and insurance industry?
    What are the challenges for insurance pricing and in what boundaries (business,regulatory) Hiscox operates at the moment?
    Tell us about the situation when you had to make a key business decisions and managed senior company's stakeholders?
    What are the Hiscox'es values,ambition and strategy?

2nd interview
    What technical computer applications have you used?
    What are the most complex formulas you used in Excel? (what are the weak points of Pivot tables??)
    How would you present your way of thinking if you had to ask for a payrise?
    Tell us about the example of when you used your communication skills?
    Tell us about the situation when you have made a mistake at work? Tell us about the biggest mistake you have made and have you made any mistakes following that?What did you learn from it?
    What skills are you learning at the moment/what skills are you developing?
    Tell us about the pricing process in insurance industry?
    Tell us about the situation when you had to deal with a difficult situation at work and how you resolved it?
    Give us an example of the situation when you have displayed a great problem solving skills?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Hiscox

Pricing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hiscox.

Interview

Cover letter sent off, response fairly immediate, organised a telephone interview for the following week. The questions were fairly ordinary questions, e.g. why Hiscox, why the industry, then a few competency questions, e.g. when have you displayed....... Then a question designed to test how you think about a problem.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.