Home Office Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Home Office Interview Questions

Interviews at Home Office

3.2

DDaT Interview

Interview

Took a month to get back to me after the interview, which could've done with being a lot shorter. The questions were all the Competency Based Interview type, the key to which is just wrote learning some situations you've been in based off of their Success Profiles, whilst remembering to hammer home buzz words/behaviours. Or so I learnt, after the fact.

Interview Questions

Interview

Online application based on Civil Service behaviors followed by an interview. They often ask you to give another example that provided on the application form. All questions will focus on the competencies they asked you to provide on the application form. Your answer should follow the STAR system (Situation, Task, Action, Result) or you will be unlikely to pass. This method makes it easy for the panel to follow your example and tick off the behaviors you have met.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give an example of a time when you have needed to deliver a piece of work to a tight deadline.   Answer Question

Apprentice Cyber Interview

Interview

There were 2 interviewers, 1 from HR and one from the department. They ask preset questions that they ask all candidates, and cannot change the phrasing. It was a combination of competences and strengths for just under an hour. The first to questions are just to help you relax (e.g. where would you recommend us to travel to).

Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

It was a pretty interesting interview - the HR personnel was not very prepared, I was asked about the requirements of a different job at first.... so I had to make it clear after 5 minutes that it's the wrong room for one of us.... unpleasant.

Interview Questions

Interview

I was asked to propose solutions to two problems. I had thirty minutes to prepare a quick sketch of my ideas which I pitched to the interviewers. The second part of the interview was to provide answers to competency questions.

Interview Questions

• Not the actual question but went along the lines of: Give an example of a time when you demonstrated leadership (consult civil service competency framework for more information)   1 Answer

Executive Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Home Office.

Interview

Online Application Form
    Online Situational Judgement Test

If successful at online application and tests then you are invited to an assessment Venue. This was at a Hotel.

Upon arrival at the assessment all ID and proof of qualifications were requested.

All candidates then sat a 75 minute written assessment.

Written assessment was marked and only if a pass mark was reached were you invited for interview.

Interview was around 50 minutes long and was competency based and strengths based.

Eo Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England).

Interview

Very good hiring and interview process... the whole thing was very easy and fair.I will recommend someone to apply. if you are already employed, do not leave your job until you get a notification that you are cleared

Delivery Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England) in May 2019.

Interview

Group panel interview with three existing Delivery Leads. Three questions from each on Civil Service Success Profile Framework, including Changing and Improving, Making Effective Decisions, Communicating and Influencing, Working Together. Friendly, professional and calm interview environment.

Interview Questions

• Talk us through a recent situation when you had to deal with change   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Home Office.

Interview

A cautionary tale for expats. I originally applied for this role online after making my way through all the paper work and attachments to check the terms of the role. I filled out the application with all my details, filled in the eligibility questions (note: they do *not* ask about residency despite it later being integral to ensuring you can take up the position) and gave my non-UK address and contact details. All the information provided with the job spec included vague guidelines on residency, but fail to explicitly say "you *must* have lived in the UK for the past 5 years to qualify for this role".
    I was invited to interview and eventually placed on the reserve list for the position. A couple of weeks later I got a call (on my non-UK number) asking me to come to the office for an 'informal chat' about another similar position. After this chat, I was offered this position, subject to security clearance.
    Throughout both interviews and all my correspondence with the department, my residency outside of the UK came up numerous times. If UK residency is essential, you'd think this would have raised concern. I also submitted documentation as requested, which included a non-UK driving licence and utility bill - still no concerns raised by the HO.
    Finally four months after my original application I was emailed by a Government Recruitment Service team member to advise they wouldn't be able to proceed with my security checks due to my lack of UK residency.
    I never heard from the person who offered me the position, despite multiple emails. Anyone else I spoke to shut the conversation down by advising that they don't complete checks before offering the interview. Arguably, if residency is as essential as nationality it should be a clearance question on the application form. Each person I have managed to have contact with has quoted from a different document each time with a vague reference to "normally being resident", "reasonable period of residency" or even that (my favourite!) "residency outside the UK is not an automatic bar" to clearance, which only serves to demonstrate the lack of clarity surrounding residency.
    Trying to explain that while I understand clearance checks cannot be performed before candidates are offered a position, but that basic requirements should be considered before an interview is offered has only fallen on deaf ears.
    Applying for other CS jobs, I have made a habit of emailing the contact to check these details - I've received incorrect information on a number of occasions, so it seems no one really knows.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage conflicting priorities effectively?   Answer Question

AO Caseworker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (Liverpool, England) in February 2019.

Interview

Very positive experience, case study test, simple interview which can take notes for. Relaxed atmosphere was interviewed by two members of staff who made me feel at ease with the process, gave me feedback on what went well and what could be improved on

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.