Hotjar Interview Questions

Updated 19 Apr 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 123 of over 123 interviews

Recruiter4%
3.5
HardAverageEasy

Hotjar

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotjar

Interview

As outlined on their website, application then video then interview then task. When I got rejected and asked for feedback, no one replied. They didn't value the time I spent throughout the process enough to provide a proper feedback other than the standard rejection template.

Interview Questions
  • Questions about my experience and other situational questions
    Answer Question

Hotjar

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hotjar

Interview

The process and interview experience were very positive overall. I will start the review with what could have made the experience even better, and then will add more details after that. - The time to have the task reviewed could have been shorter (6 days after the planned/communicated date, 9 days after I'd completed it and informed the team that it is ready to be reviewed). All other steps were done within a couple of days from the prior step, so the task review time was the biggest factor in the overall length of the process - During the time I’d been waiting for the task to be reviewed, I didn’t hear anything from the team. A proactive/heads-up email that things are taking longer, or at least acknowledging my email when I informed the team that I’d completed the task, would have improved the experience Details: The process is as described on the website. For my first call with the recruiter, I had technical issues and eventually joined the call about 10 minutes late. That was the first time something like this happens, and I felt terrible about it. However, he was very supportive and eased off the pressure, which helped a lot, and he eventually offered me to schedule another call the next day to do it properly. He was following-up consistently with me throughout the whole process, which was an awesome experience. The task review was really great! The reviewer asked clarifying questions, and we had very nice discussions on the Merge Request (the task was on a private repo hosted on GitLab). The system design-style questions are apparently new at Hotjar (haven’t read about them even once before I interviewed, though they are starting to appear now on Glassdoor). And that was the first/main technical question I was asked in the interview (I was asked how I would implement one of the features of Horjar’s platform). That question caught me a bit off-guard 🙈 and played a role in me not performing at my best during the interview. However, the interviewer handled things really well, and gave me a hint when needed. The other questions were general questions about experiences working in a team and things I’ve worked on. Also asked me about my best skill, and about a weakness I have. The call with one of the engineering directors was one of the best I ever had. Not much technical, and more around my career story, experiences, and ups and downs 😊. He explained the engineering culture at Hotjar very well. Also asked me about my career goals and how I see Hotjar helping me achieve my goals. During interviews, I ask detailed questions based on thorough research about the company, and sometimes I ask the same question to different people to get a better view on things. During the whole process, the team was transparent and consistent when answering questions, and they had a positive and encouraging attitude towards questions (they even went overtime to allow me to ask more questions). A couple of tips for candidates: - Understanding users, ability to work well in a cross-functional team, and effective communication skills are important to work as an engineer at Hotjar - Nothing beats being genuine, transparent, and factual during the whole process. It is not about being flawless or painting a perfect picture Obviously, these are my own opinions and perceptions 😊.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a project you worked on and things didn't go well

Hotjar

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotjar in Mar 2021

Interview

I applied online through their website, and got an email withing two weeks for an interview with a recruiter, in the interview I was told the heavy use of k8s and I said I don't have professional experience with it, so I understand that as a deal breaker, the recruiter said that one of the core values is "learn by doing" so I might have a chance if everything else seems fine. After 10 days and one follow up email from me (with no reply) I get a technical interview with the lead engineer and another SRE, I ask if I need to prepare something before hand and I am told no. The day of the interview the lead engineer was a bit late to the call (it happens) but then interrupted the conversation I was having with the other engineer, I understand there are time constraints but if you are late and people are talking that's just rude. We get to the interview with some general questions about my background and experience, normal stuff, but then I'm asked to describe the general architecture of an application, I wasn't ready for such question but after some back and forth, the lead engineer mentioned something I didn't which was obviously what he was expecting to hear followed by "with enough time you would've go it right", so it wasn't only patronizing to say the least, I was set up for failure since the beginning. Then I get a snippet of python code, in my first call I was told I was going to do a code review so I was ready for it, I was asked what the code does which I answered immediately but then the lead engineer decided that I needed to read it line by line, turns out the code does exactly what I said in the beginning while the whole time he was condescending and patronizing to me. Note that I actually saw things that could've been improved in the snippet but there was no time left and he said, again, "I'm sure with more time you would have it right" Then I get and email after two days saying I was rejected and when I ask for more feedback I'm told it's lack of experience in k8s... which I know and said from the very beginning. What a way to feel better about yourself in a very unprofessional setting while wasting everyone's time.

Interview Questions
  • How would you do the architecture of a simple messenger app? What does the code do?

Hotjar

Application

I interviewed at Hotjar

Interview

Exactly as presented on careers.hotjar.com: 1. send CV 2. quick (20min) call to let Hotjar know you more 3. tech task (you will be paid for your time despite your rejection in the process) 4. Tech interview (1h) with two engineers (real world problems and how you would solve them) 5. Team fit (1h) - Hotjar needs to make sure that you follow the same values and you fit the company.

Interview Questions
  • technical questions were all about "how would you solve problem" the company faced while designing its products. So, real world knowledge is being verified instead of how well you know given language, framework, library.

Hotjar

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar

Interview

The interview process with Hotjar was quite different to what I've experienced before. The HR and Marketing team were very friendly and easy to work with throughout the process and genuinely have your best interests in mind. Not only is it a chance for the Hotjar team to better understand if you're a good fit, it also gives you a great insight into the company and if it's somewhere you'd like to work - which is equally important. Even though the process is long and requires you to complete a task over two weeks, it gives you a great understanding of how the company operates as well as an opportunity to collaborate with people you would potentially be working with in the future. Having been one of the lucky candidates to receive an offer, the interview process really helped eliminate any fears I may have had about joining a new company. It also helped during the daunting first-week as I had already made relationships with many of my now team mates. Overall, the interview process was a great experience!

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Hotjar

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar in Jan 2021

Interview

Interviewing for this role involved advancing through the multi-stage 'engineering recruitment process'. - Review - A review of my CV and cover letter - Intro Call - A quick chat with someone on the recruitment team, discussing my CV and the role. - 1-day Task - A paid technical task - I had to implement a web front-end based on a specification - Tech Interview - A technical interview with an engineer who asked questions about my choices and mistakes in the task and asked me to talk through a solution to another technical problem. - Team Fit Interview - A personal interview with the head of the department with a focus on how the engineering teams like to work and the philosophy behind their decision-making. The task was straightforward but a challenge to complete in one day. I technically had a week to complete the task but decided not to spend more than a day on it and instead discuss the remaining work in the technical interview as I felt this was more in the spirit of the task.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked to describe how I might implement one of Hotjars features. I had to identify what data it would be necessary to gather and to broadly describe the techniques that could be used to collect and transfer this data from the browser, through to the Hotjar dashboard, before finally presenting it to the user. We would discuss the problems at each step and when I had provided a good solution, we would move on to the next step.

Hotjar

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar

Interview

Recruitment qualifying call, followed by a take home task, tech interview and team fit. Feedback given in between stages, take home exercise was compensated for with a small amount of money. Take home task takes a full day.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Hotjar

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hotjar in Dec 2020

Interview

Followed the interview process as outlined on the website. 1:1, asynchronous Q&A, panel interview and finally a task. Everyone was polite, friendly and punctual. Follow up was provided quickly and in person.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Hotjar

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Hotjar in Oct 2020

Interview

After reviewing the CV, I was then invited for a 20 - 30 minutes meeting with a recruiter. The interview went well, but unfortunately I was not accepted for the next round. The only complaint I might have is that after a positive meeting with the recruiter, I received an email saying that after internal discussions, they decided I had not made it to the next round. In all fairness, they were obviously looking mostly for a Python developer, and while I was familiar with Python, I was more familiar with other languages and frameworks, so this might have been a factor. While I definitely think I would have been able to adapt to this, it might definitely have affected my application. That being said, I would have appreciated a more detailed explanation on what was the main reason for the rejection. That being said, I will definitely be keeping an eye on future career openings for any openings which more closely match my strengths (or as my strengths become closer to Hotjar's needs) as Hotjar are in my top list of companies I would like to work with.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Hotjar

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hotjar in Oct 2020

Interview

When you read about the company, it's inspiring. Emails I received were great when it comes to template emails, you get some links to video CEO welcoming in the process and Q&A video. But it just went down when I had to interact with a real human (Technical Recruiter). The first email had a sentence: > In the meantime, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions. So I asked, but no response, I have to ask it again during the interview. The interview was strange at least for me. In Team Manual, they wrote: > It is your responsibility to always have *a good internet connection* and *a high-quality headset* (it must be a headset) during your ‘online availability’ times. When I joined the meeting, the interviewer was late a bit (I thought nevermind), no headset/headphones - so I constantly was listening to my echo, we had interview interruption because of an internet connection on the interviewer side (and I was nervous as usual on any interview, but this just adds a bit of stress again, as I was thinking that it might be my side). Another moment is about rushing (I have read such here in glassdoor), email said: > we'd love to have a ~20 minute call We scheduled a call for 30 minutes, but when I joined, the interviewer said, that usually, it takes ~10 minutes. With the break mentioned above, we finished a call in probably 15 minutes or less and questions were not encouraged really. I got an email with a general rejection, I asked for details, so I could learn from that experience, but I received nothing in response. One of the core values: > 3. Work with respect I don't think that my whole interaction could be marked as respect. With such interaction, you got real doubts about other core values and how they are lived.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 123 Interviews