Hotjar Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Hotjar Interview Questions

Interviews at Hotjar

3.5

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Hotjar (Miami, FL (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

The interview process is clearly outlined on the company website so I knew what to expect. To summarize, you first fill out an online form, then you get asked to answer questions over video recording, then there is a 1h interview call with the Lead and Director of the team you are interviewing for, then there is a task stage that takes roughly 2 weeks (paid), then there is a 30-minute call with the CEO and, finally, there is an offer call. I also got asked to do a few more calls before the offer (with an additional team member, and a second call with the CEO). The process is lengthy - it took 2.5 months between submitting the questionnaire and receiving the offer call. Part of that is because there is a time-lapse of roughly two weeks between stages (about 5 days to hear back, and then the rest is time until the appointment). The questions on the interview call are standard interview questions - a combination of behavioral questions and questions about your experience. For the task, you get invited to Hotjar's Slack and get to interact with members of the team, ask questions and learn more about the style/culture of Hotjar. Everyone was really nice and helpful throughout the process. This is the most unique portion of the processes and it's really fun and interesting. The process requires a lot of time and dedication from the candidate (and Hotjar) - it seems to be designed this way to make sure that the candidate really wants this job and to ensure that it is a good fit for both sides.

Interview Questions

• Apart from the standard sales experience, what other previous role experiences or skills do you think would be helpful to have for this role?   Answer Question

7 Feb 2020 – VP of Operations

Great recap of our process. Yes, it can be lengthy at times. We recently did a time study on our process and noticed that the primary reason for the delays was a mismatch in scheduling availability between our team and the candidates. As we dug deeper we realized that a lot of this was due to our desire to use automated platforms to "help" us with scheduling. Our reliance on this automation proved to be the biggest gotcha. We're currently making some adjustments to improve this and narrow these time gaps.

Thanks for providing the feedback.

Senior Lifecycle Marketer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Remote, OR (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Was requested to send the application with set of questions answered. There were comprehensive questions asked regarding the skills required for the applied role and also to check the cultural fit. After that I got a response via email.

Interview Questions

• Describe a B2B lifecycle marketing win in your experience   Answer Question

8 Jun 2020 – VP of Operations

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We're very happy to hear that you had a positive experience connecting with us. Best of luck in your search.

Paid Search Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Remote, OR (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

The interview process at Hotjar is a fantastic experience. It is so well structured and yes it's lengthier than most, but that's because they want to employ the right people for the role and the company, also giving you plenty of time to decide if it's suited to you. Throughout the process you get to speak to different team members which I particularly enjoyed as it gives you a taste for life at Hotjar. The further along the process I was, the more I wanted to work for Hotjar yet at the same time, I had enjoyed it so much that even if I hadn't got the job I still had an incredibly uplifting experience.

Interview Questions

• You've noticed a performance drop in one of your most important campaigns. Describe the process you would through to solve this.   Answer Question

7 Aug 2019 – VP of Operations

Welcome to the team! Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on the process. We're always making tweaks to our recruitment process. It's good to hear they are working. There's more to come.

Frontend Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Remote, OR (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

Stage 1: Sent CV and answered some questions online

Stage 2: Recorded a video answering some questions

Stage 3: The Interview - It was an about 1h call and included both behavioral and technical questions. My interviewers were amazingly nice, kind and supportive which was really important for me as I was quite anxious. I can't thank them enough.

Stage 4: I was assigned a challenging task, and I was given 2 weeks to complete it. In the meantime, I was given access to their collaboration platform so as to be able to interact with the entire team. I loved that phase, the task was something new to me (I had never built something similar before), so it was an excellent opportunity to expand my knowledge. Also, the team was so welcoming and helpful, and I was able to get an idea of the way they work together. After I completed my task, I presented it and got paid for it.

The final stage was followed by two calls, one with the Director of Engineering and co-founder, and one with the CEO.

Overall, the interview process was great, both challenging and enjoyable!

Interview Questions

Hotjar Response

10 May 2019 – VP of Operations

Thanks for the feedback. We're super excited to have you onboard and glad to hear you had a positive experience during the interview process!

Paid Search Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hotjar (Remote, OR (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

The interview process was long (2 months) but enjoyable. I thought even if I did not get an offer, the experience itself was so worth it, just for the learning! I completed about 9 video calls and a 2-week task. The hiring team challenged me and it was a fantastic experience!

Interview Questions

Hotjar Response

16 Jan 2019 – VP of Operations

Glad you found the process enjoyable. We do our best and still have room for improvement. Thanks for the feedback. We are super glad you joined the team.

Hotjar Hero Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Hotjar (Remote, OR (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

After applying online via the Hotjar website, I was invited to submit a video to answer a few questions about myself. From there, there is an interview and then I was invited to work with the company for a couple of days.

I enjoyed this part of the process as it allowed me to get a feel for the company, work on a task relevant to the role, and get to know the people who work there.

The interview process is challenging but also very open. Everyone is there to help you succeed, very friendly and the process results in a great environment where everyone wants to make a difference.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk us through why customer support is so important for a company like Hotjar?   Answer Question

1 Nov 2018 – VP of Operations

Ouch! I'm sorry it took so long but super glad you joined the team. Thanks for the feedback we are always looking to improve our recruitment time (as well as other things).

Support Hero Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Remote, OR (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

The first phase in the application was an online form. After submitting this I was invited to the second phase of the recruitment process, where I was asked to submit a short video answering five questions. The process is precisely as outlined on their site. It seems to fit Hotjar's vision perfectly and will certainly provide them with the most fitting candidates at the end of it. I am very impressed.
    Sadly I didn't make it this time, but I will certainly keep an eye their job postings.
    Thank you Siobhan and the rest of the hiring team for your time and dedication.

Interview Questions

• What excites you about this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a project which failed and what you learned from it.   Answer Question
    • What are your key values in your working life? Tell us what gets you out of bed and excited to start work every day!   Answer Question
    • Can you walk us through Chrome's Web Developer Tools?   Answer Question

5 Sep 2018 – VP of Operations

Thanks so much for taking the time to describe your impression and experience with our hiring process and team. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Interview

There are several steps to completing the process. Thankfully, the company provides detailed information on their site. In addition to submitting a resume and cover letter there are multiple questions applicants are required to answer. Culture fit is a high priority so I suggest applicants answer in their own voice as opposed to plugging in buzz words or submitting too much of a canned response.

Hero Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar.

Interview

Submitted application and selected for a video pre-interview. Quick response after submitting the application. Only complaint was for the video pre-interview, I needed to record my own video, edit and then send it to them. They did not have a website or application for you to use.

Interview Questions

Hotjar Response

7 Feb 2018 – VP of Operations

Very helpful feedback! We've been looking at a service that manages the video recording in a more streamlined manner in order to improve the experience for our candidates (and make things easier for them). We'll move this up higher in our priority queue in order to evaluate and test it sooner. Thanks a lot!

Customer Success Hero Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hotjar.

Interview

The interview process was odd. I filled out the initial application and was told I was shortlisted. Then I did a video interview. I was informed that I was shortlisted again. Two months later after following up, I was then told they are no longer looking to interview for the role by a completely different person that took over communications. Extensive process with a tremendous lack of communication. A lot of time goes into answering the questions, conducting the video interview only to be strung along for two months for no job interview after being promised it would be scheduled soon. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• 1. What excites you about this position?
      2. What have you learnt in the last year?
      3. What is the biggest goal you've met so far in life, either personal or professional?
      4. What does Customer Success mean to you?
      5. Tell us about a project which failed and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

5 Feb 2018 – VP of Operations

I'm very sorry to hear that we handled your application so poorly. Towards the end of the year, we posted information on our careers website that informed applicants that we would be responding slower than usual due to the holidays. I don't know if this contributed to some of our delay but if it did we obviously failed to set the proper expectation. It also does not explain why it took as long as you mentioned or the poor communication on our part. I've circled back with the hiring team for this role to ensure they are taking corrective actions so that we work to avoid this in the immediate future. Thanks so much for the feedback. It's very much appreciated.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.