Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions

Interviews at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

2.7

Contracts Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

I had several phone interviews with multiple people at the business desk on the sales team etc. I thought it was a long, but good process to both make sure I knew what role I was applying for and also to see if I would work well with the different personalities on the team.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions such as "why me" for this role or what my expectations were from the company. Also a few direct questions pointing out where my resume had some white space regarding their field/industry. The questions were sometimes tough, but it was clear the interviewers were competent and prepared.   1 Answer

Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

This company is awful. They don't follow up. They don't organize. They tend to lead people on. They put candidate to compete for a mediocre job that they glamourize. It would have been a position that Iwould have never considered. They don't even have the courtesy to call bak even when they tell you they would.

waste of time

Associate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Nashville, TN (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Five steps: first a brief phone screen, then a set of two tests (one timed and about reading and math, the other not timed and opinion), then two follow up in person interviews, then contacted references.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Applied to an open position on Glassdoor, contacted 2 weeks later by internal recruiter, about 2 more weeks later I was contacted to schedule an interview with one of the lead developers. After the phone screen I was offered to come on-site for a 2 hour interview. A few days later I was contacted for an offer.
    Overall, the on-site interview was very fair. It was more of a conversational based interview. Since the role was for an Associate engineer, I brought in some examples of my work. The team was nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• How do you like using React/Redux?
      what are some pros & cons of using React?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

Interview Process: Initial phone screen followed by a 4 hour face to face interview.
    It was nice to have the hiring manager in touch throughout the process.
    There were multiple one on ones in the face to face round. I was given a good understanding of the role, teams and the group overall. For the technical questions, I was required to write/draw on a writable wall.

At the end of the interview my manager walked me to the library and I got to pick a free book from the Free Books station!!

Great building and location to help with commute. My flight and hotel were booked by the company.
    All in all I had a very very good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. I wasn’t looking for a new job, but I was interested in their E-Learning platform. The interview was impersonal, and the interviewer seemed to forget multiple times during the interview (roughly 55 minutes) pretty significant details about my experience. In short, they reached out to me, showed interest, and then proceeded to “handle” me.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Orlando, FL (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

I came in and had to fill out a lot of paperwork. Several people were being hired so we had orientation. This included setting up our insurance and benefits. 2 weeks of training and I was done. 90 day probation period.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted resume online and got selected for phone interview. A brief 20 mins phone interview with HR regarding resume and past experience. She also asked some behavioral questions such as what's your strengths? What would you want to learn from this job? etc. But she kept typing when I was talking, I kept hearing the typing sound. The next day I got email from her that this position has been hold.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Online application, video interview (where you can record your own answers and review before you submit), 2-in-person interviews (1 hour each) and a 30-minute phone interview. This process started in January 2018 and was sent a rejection email in April 2018. This process has been long and getting clarification on certain issues was not always easy. When asking about when the position would start, or how the salary of base + commission would work, I was advised to ask HR. HR provided no clarity WHEN they did answer their emails.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you needed to convince someone to see things your way.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Evanston, IL (US)).

Interview

Great HR dept. Followed-up regularly with me throughout the interview process. Two interviews by phone, two face-to-face interviews and a final round of discussions/negotiations by phone. I valued the confidence-instilling leadership and their clear, unambiguous communication with me. Really nice people!

Interview Questions

• It went something like ....Give me an example of when you were faced with rejection and you overcame that initial rejection by getting a customer to realize a need they didn't know they had.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.