Illumina Interview Questions in Cambridge, England | Glassdoor.co.uk

Illumina Interview Questions in Cambridge, England

Interviews at Illumina

Associate Research Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in October 2020.

Interview

First part was a HR phone call, there was meant to be a HireVue video but there was an error with sending out the link so a 30-minute call instead (there were multiple confusing emails surrounding this error). The interviewer was really friendly and was happy to say when you were doing well which helps makes you feel confident and at ease. Some background reading into the company and their research helps here and is advised. The next stage was an interview with 6 (male) scientists in a panel where you presented a PowerPoint on your last project. This was fairly simple, the questions were all based on your project and to test how much you know about your area of science (for the role you will need to be an expert so you just need to show you can be an expert in something) and not that technical. The feedback was short, late and really impersonal (which is slightly disappointing), just saying that they were going with a candidate with experience that fitted the role better. The process felt quite rushed all the way through up until them letting you know the outcome which came across as unprofessional and translated that the company is VER fast-paced. Other reviews on here say they don't always get back to you the outcome, this is true to some extent that they won't reply to your emails but eventually they do update the workdays portal with an automatic email (which I presume is after the chosen candidate has confirmed).

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in March 2020.

Interview

3 steps interview
    1 phone interview with HR manager (30 min)
    I got general questions about me, my background etc.
    2 video interview with scientists (1h)
    I got more detailed questions about my background, my previous experience and research.
    3 face to face interview with different specialists (5h)
    I had a powerpoint presentation, I had to answer the questions. I got other meetings with different specialists.

Interview Questions

• I got a detailed questions about background.
      What I know about Ilumina?
      I got a question about the NGS method.
      Why I want to work at Illumina?
      They asked me about myself.   Answer Question

Lead Generation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in January 2020.

Interview

The feedback was completely unprofessional. I have never expected to receive such a feedback form a renowned company like Illumina!

The Commercial Department at Cambridge were looking for a Lead Generation Specialist for more than 30 days. They received more than 20 applications but were looking for more.

The first telephone interview was with the Talent Acquisition Manager. She was a professional lady, much experienced than the Line Manager in the second interview. She asked me very specific questions, one of it was about the Next-generation sequencing. The conversation was very positive, supposed to be for 30 minutes but it last for 43 minutes.

The second interview, which "supposed to be" a video call for 45 minutes via BlueJeans with the Line Manager; a polite young lady with an Indian accent. But surprisingly the webcam was turned off, so the whole interview was a voice chat and I was wondering why she didn’t call me on the phone?!

The lady was a bit hesitant about the role in general as she was thinking to add or change some of duties and responsibilities. During the conversation, I realised that I was older than her and probably than whole team. I know age doesn't matter, it's just about the right person in the right place - but it wasn't!

I asked her three direct questions; about the role and her expectations, but the answers were quite general (nothing specific) but I remember she said "You have too much experience than any one in my team…Your energy is a way higher than anybody in the team…Some people in my team are very shy and some are sensitive…and I’m looking for someone like you”.

Nine days later, I received this feedback from the Talent Acquisition Manager - I'm quoting:

"Unfortunately, due to some reprioritisation, the decision has been made to change the duties this person will need to do. This is now an entry level position for someone to input data into SFDC and work with the team to distribute the leads being generated, so I appreciate this might not be the position you want to do. If so then let me know but if we don't hear from you then I'll assume this new role is not of interest." - They changed the title and the whole job description in the advert!

Although I wasn't expecting such feedback, I answered with "yes" I'm ready to accept the offer. However, an automated rejection email received after 24 hours. Very disappointed and I hope future applicants will never fall into such drama.

Biostatistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in January 2020.

Interview

Very positive experience. Company was very professional throughout the whole process. Submitted CV and Cover letter, video interview and then final stage interview.
    Final Stage comprised 3 group tasks with challenges and presentations involved. The content was not difficult and no preparation was required.
    Whole process took 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Submitted CV and Cover letter - Quick Process
      Completed video interview - Mostly experience and competency based questions and one technical question related to the position.
      Final stage interview - asked general questions to see if there was a cultural fit with the company.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England).

Interview

Three group exercises and an individual interview (30 min) including a presentation on a business idea and a pattern related group exercise. The final exercise was a generic "work to build something together" one with limited resources.
    Food was provided as the interview day lasted from 10am-5pm.
    Don't wear heels as they give you a tour of the grounds outside (including muddy rocky footpaths!).
    A lot of people at interview were post-doc going for the same positions as undergrads. It felt very unbalanced.

Environment Health and Safety Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England).

Interview

Assessment centre ran from 9am to 4pm with 4 group activities and 2 interviews.
    Overall fun day as initial nerves were forgotten about due to friendly and relaxed atmosphere .

Placement Trainee/Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in January 2019.

Interview

Initially submitted CV online, had a video interview and went for assessment centre. A while to get through to the video interview stage but quick turnaround between video interview and assessment centre

Interview Questions

• No formal questions at assessment centre - watched you perform fun tasks/vhallenges with other applicants (think Lego building etc.) to assess teamwork and cooperation   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in October 2018.

Interview

Interview was smooth but long process. Although not though. & Very interested in the fit to company values & attitude. & Also knowledge of company & previous experience of using tools & software used by company.

Laboratory Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online, had an interview via Hire Vue then was asked to go in for an assessment center. This consisted of group activities (lego building, problem solving) to assess your communication skills, a 1:1 interview and a technical test involving maths.

Technical Application Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Illumina (Cambridge, England) in January 2018.

Interview

All the teams I interacted with were very friendly team, ver quick at processing and progressing each stage. This company is very upfront and transparent when providing in dept details about the job.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.