Imagination Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Imagination Technologies Interview Questions

Interviews at Imagination Technologies

3.4

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

Reasonable Qs. They give you 6000 stock/shares which you can cash out after the third anniversary. Generous relocation is provided. Pretty negotiable after the first offer of base salary.

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by onsite interview. Entire process took a whole month. Asked to present on the topic of video compression techniques, then followed by questions and discussion. Afterwards, they asked me about past experiences, and many other technical questions. They were very professional and reasonable.

Interview Questions

• Asked to talk about video codecs.   1 Answer

CPU Performance Modelling Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies in August 2020.

Interview

Five Stages:
    1. HR Telephone Screening (30min)
    2. First Technical Interview (1h)
    3. Online Programming Assignment (2h)
    4. Second Technical Interview (2h)
    5. HR Interview (1h)

They had technical problems on their side during the longer technical interview and were not properly prepared, which they both acknowledged and apologized for.

Interview Questions

• Software Engineering:
      - Private, Protected, Public, Friend in C++
      - Virtual Members, Abstract Classes, Polymorphism and Performance Impact in C++
      - L-Values and R-Values, & vs && references in C++
      - Atomic Operations, cache coherence protocols
      - Memory allocation: Heap vs stack, fragmentation, performance
      - Compiler optimization: Loop unrolling, tail recursion   Answer Question
    • Hardware Engineering:
      - Pipelining (Flushing)
      - Super scalar
      - Out of Order
      - Hazards (Structural)
      - Exceptions (Precise and Imprecise)
      - Branch Prediction
      - Speculative Execution
      - Tightly Coupled Memory (TCM)
      - Caches, Memory Hierarchy   Answer Question
    • Brain Teaser:
      Given 8 balls of which one has lower different density (less weight, same size). Given a scale you can find the special ball in 3 steps by bisection / binary search. How to do it reliably in only 2 steps?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview

Applied online. The initial screening process was a phone interview, where I was asked about my experience, and given some general technical questions.
    I was invited to interview at their offices, where I spent 1.5 hours with a small panel of engineers, followed by a shorter interview with a member of the HR department.

Interview Questions

• Given 9 identical balls, 8 of which are of equal weight and the 9th is slightly heavier, if you have a scale, how would you most quickly determine which ball is the heavier one?   1 Answer

Graduate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Bristol, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Application: I attended the career fair at the uni and talked to them. Later I applied the 2020 graduate hardware role online on 21st Oct. 4 days later, I received a phone call telling me I got the phone interview on 04 Nov.
    Telephone interview: I was asked some basic normal questions like what is a flip-flop. How to multiply a number by 7 or by 14. The range of an 8-bit signed and unsigned number. On the same day, I was asked to attend have a face to face interview.
    On-site interview: There are two interviews with four different interviewers. Two interviewers at a time. All seem to be principle of a subteam. In the first round, I was asked some digital questions, like how to implement an LFSR and build logic or state machine with them. Some hard questions were asked, I got stuck on them for a few moments. But they are both really friendly not really mean of giving hints. With hints offered, I answered all the questions with the right answer. It is not really easy and obvious questions to answer. Also, some software or algorithm questions were also asked. In the second round, I was expected to answer two questions, but they decided to give me an extra software-related question. The second round was less intense, a puzzle and state machine building question were asked. The software question is about the string process and do the parenthesis check. I answered them all with the right answer.
    Overall experience: Overall, the interview experience is supportive and friendly even it is intense and hard. Even I answered all the questions they asked, I still did not get the role. Guess I am not the creative thinker they need.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is a flip-flop?   Answer Question
    • Q: With a flip-flop coming after an 8-bit multiplier to save the result, what is the requirement for the time delay of this multiplier? If the multiplier did not meet the requirement, what kind of violation it should be?   1 Answer
    • Q: How to multiply a number by 2? by 7? by 14?   1 Answer
    • Q: What is the range of an 8-bit signed and unsigned number? How about a 4 bit?   Answer Question
    • Q: How to implement a 3-bit LFSR and build your output logic with it? If there is some brief state '111' that only lasts a really short time, what is the most possible reason it would be? When is it most likely to happen? How to amend this circuit?   1 Answer
    • Q: There are 100 people attending the tennis tournament, now we would like to have some people to skip the first round to get to the second round so that this tournament could go well. How many people should we bypass in the first round? How many matches there are in total? and why?   1 Answer
    • Q: Traffic light question   Answer Question
    • Q: How to check if an 80-character long string is parenthesis balanced?   1 Answer

Hardware Engineer Summer Placement - PowerVR Graphics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England

Application

I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (Bristol, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Phone interview: Very technical based on topics such as flip flops and shifting. Asked to multiply an 8-bit number by 2, 4, 16 and 15 times (shift and subtract). Was asked about technical skills I could bring to the company, my ideal job and questions I might have for the company.

Vulkan Graphics Driver Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview

I send my application on june and after a short C online test the HR conctact me for a first skype/telephone interview. After that it was scheduled final skype/telephone interview.

Interview Questions

• Computer architectures, rendering pipeline, vector and linear algebra, data structure   Answer Question

Technical Author Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies.

Interview

Applied through recruitment agency. Whole process took 3 weeks and got to the final interview (after two calls). First two calls went well. I realized soon afterwards that the job description I got from the recruitment agency did not align with what they were looking for too accurately. Usually not uncommon with recruiters but I think there was a lot wrong with what they said they were looking for and what they wanted. For example, was told that math was heavily involved in the first call when the job description said nothing of the sort. When I went to confirm it in person I was told I was "confused".

Unfortunately the final interview was the worst meeting I've ever encountered. Extremely unprofessional. Was asked what games I played and then told I was a "hardcore gamer" after having been mocked on my choice of games. I was then asked if I ever considered starting my own game and if game design was something I was interested in. I said interested but no plans for creating my own game. The next question was whether I was going to take what I learned from the job and start my own gaming company. At this point I could tell that the person who previously held the role had done just that and the manager was still bitter about it (which he later confessed to). Found it extremely unprofessional as to why he didn't simply ask what my goals were as that would have provided a better answer. It told me that this company does not want you to succeed. They only care about the work output you can do and they expect you to keep going until you die or leave. Also asked very obscure questions about their knowledge base that wasnt available to the public.

Questions from the CTO were also difficult but more fair. I found him very positive but knew that the bulk of the work would be with the interviewing manager. Honestly it was a nightmare and it was 6 hours long.

Interview Questions

• What is the term for when you take a digital picture and stretch it on a canvas and it shows the pixels?   Answer Question

Graduate Vulkan Graphics Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies (London, England) in August 2019.

Interview

More than 2 stage. I only managed until the second stage. Skype Interview. The first interview which was the phone interview was easy. It was all about him telling you all about the job role. Then you wait a week for the second stage which was the skype interview. it was significantly harder because they ask if you know about graphics card. the manager doesnt really care about how the whole technology works. She only cares about her department which was only using C programming for some testing. Telling her anything more than this would result in the interview getting cut short. A graduate wouldn't know about graphic design testing really. unless you have some kind of job experience.

Interview Questions

• Write a C programming code to count the number of 1's of a number in binary.   1 Answer
    • They would explain a little bit the job position. Ask ask back you if you understand the role   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Imagination Technologies in June 2019.

Interview

Four faces, the first one is a personal interview with HHRR, the second one a technical interview at about 1 hour, the third one a C quiz of 30 questions (3 min per question), and the last one is a final face-to-face interview
    In the technical interview, they ask me about my resume and some projects that I realized. They want tho know how my mind works, so ask me how can I count the "1s" of a decimal number in binary?
    Later I have some technical questions about GPU, RAM, and Flash, memory, parts of a chip, C and C++ functions, polymorphism.

The C test is center in pointers and some questions of theory. Its harder than the technical interview

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.