InterContinental Hotels Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

InterContinental Hotels Group Interview Questions

Updated 27 Apr 2017

2.7

Reservation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Salt Lake City, UT (US)).

Interview

Upon arriving to interview, I was guided to a set of computers where I was given precise instructions for some assessments specifically designed for this type of job. After KILLING those, I did a one-on-one interview with an HR person asking general questions. Then, I interviewed with a team manager. After she realized I had more than enough experience, she skipped a bunch of questions (ie. She didn't just follow a script)

Interview Questions

• What is your customer service experience?   1 Answer

Banquet Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Baton Rouge, LA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

No interview. Fill out application. There was no background work history required , no drug screening, no health screening at all. Very un-professional. The hotel brought a group of people collectively to work at the hotel and provided high cost housing which was taken from their paychecks. Four employees per apartment. They spoke only Spanish in the hotel which created many problems in the Banquet job.

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group.

Interview

Initial screening with human resources recruiter was positive. Great interview questions which made it engaging. Was informed that I would be moving to the next steps in the interviews and would receive a communication by the end of the week. After a week, no response from human resources or hiring manager. Reached out several times (via email and phone) and still was told someone would reach out for an interview. Final response (6 weeks later), recruiter informed me "your application is with the hiring manager and we are only a recruiting company to help with the screening, we don't work for IHG". Shame to keep someone's hope up thinking they are moving to the next steps and then find out that you didn't interview with a company employee.

Technical Architect/Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

A 30 minute phone screen was scheduled. I had previously spent perhaps 30 minutes in conversation with a recruiter who knew the interviewer on a personal basis. 10 minutes were used skipping down my resume. 15 minutes were spent on describing how I would improve the performance of scrum teams. This was posed as an abstract question with no technical fill-in to support any conclusion. The interviewer let it be known at one point that developers were "spending his employers money." There was the implication that IHG was getting nothing for that.

I attempted to gently suggest that many IT issues begin with managers, hoping to elicit the management context in which developers were performing at what was described as 25% of expected output. My interviewer appeared to be Type A in panic mode.

In the last 5 minutes I obtained enough information through a question that indicated to me where performance issues for developers flowed from. A sad situation like so many other IT related stories in America. Just sad.

Interview Questions

• Scrum teams or pods were described as meeting 5 of 20 a point metric in completing expected work during two week sprints. I do not know if the performance shortfalls were discussed in daily standups. I do not know if there were reflections at the end of a sprint. This scenario was described then the question posed: how would you improve performance? After this being asked the third time, I finally replied "well three strikes and you are out I suppose." Frustrating. But then to key to the performance issues fell in place -- for me. Perhaps the question should have been: tell me how to solve this, then you can go on your way. :-)   Answer Question

Assistant Restaurant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA (US)).

Interview

It was an open call interview process in two stages. I spoke with a human resource manager then was passed to the restaurant and General manager. We discussed my resume and basic interview questions.

Front Desk Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group.

Interview

Arrived early. And was even able to interview early. Great Interview. Asked all the right questions ie what makes you the right candidate? what do you know about the company? salary requirement? The interview lasted about 45 min.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Process was frustrating because I had heard so many good things about IHG. Brief phone interview (30 minutes) was set up by a recruiter who slipped and said "Are you the internal candidate?". On the day of the interview, the hiring manager was 20 minutes late calling and then asked to reschedule the call. For the second call, the manager was 15 minutes late. Questions were very easy and the manager told me my skillset was rare and hard to find. They told me they would contact candidates the next week. Then, total silence. I followed up with the recruiter with no answer. I found out by checking their website that the position was filled. Very disappointing because the job sounded great.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company? Have you worked with an international company before?   Answer Question

Front Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Palmdale, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Was a group interview, over 100 applicants. Fill out app, went to room for on spot interview about hour later. Interviewer was friendly, it was a good opportunity to speak with the company. I was informed there would be a call back to speak to mgmt if they liked you.

Interview Questions

• How you be a good fit?
      What type of experience do you have?
      Willing to submit to drug test?
      Answer Question

Housekeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dunwoody, GA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Dunwoody, GA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

Very simple. A few basic job relatrd questions as well as questions pertaining to experience. I was asked what I was looking for long term as well as short term. I was hired on the spot and began work the following week.

Interview Questions

• What are my long term goals   1 Answer

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group (Atlanta, GA (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Interviews are phone screen with HR, phone screen with hiring manager and then in-person with usually the hiring manager and then closest working team members or stakeholders. They usually don't go much beyond 3 rounds for mid-level roles.
    A word to the wise: they tend to hire internally 9/10 times, which is great for current employees but makes it very tough to get in the door. Having an employee refer you for a role can help.

Interview Questions

• Background questions, usually want to know specific examples of leadership, getting through tough situations etc.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.