InterSystems Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

InterSystems Interview Questions

Interviews at InterSystems

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterSystems in January 2019.

Interview

The process was mostly the online screening assessments, which required you to answer questions about some made up language. It was pretty easy but I did not get back an answer to the online assessment.

Senior Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at InterSystems (Cambridge, MA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

A basic principle is software design is that you want a system that's going to fail to fail quickly. I hope that InterSystem's software is better designed than their interview process. I spent two months interviewing there only to be told (after having to hunt them down for a response) that I wasn't getting an offer.

First a recruiter contacted me. I took a number of online aptitude/personality tests (1.5-2 hours). Since I did well, they scheduled three on-site interviews with representatives from three divisions. The travel time to Cambridge and the interviews took about half a day, but the process was rather draining, so I took the rest of the day off from work. Two of those divisions weren't interested, but one was, so I had an hour-long interview with the division head. Another half day all-told.

I was told he liked me, so they scheduled an interview with the CEO, Terry Ragon. The interview was half an hour, but the process of travel, etc. consumed another half day. They were supposed to get back to me within a day or two, but I had to hunt them down. (Were they trying to ghost me?) A week and a half after the interview they finally got back to me that I wasn't getting an offer. I asked for feedback and they said there was no problem with me, that an internal reorganization meant the position was no longer needed. Rather doubtful, since they were hiring for a number of positions along this line. "It's not you, it's me," as the old break-up line goes.

All along the way, they kept encouraging me to keep up with the lengthy process, that they liked me. I suppose the employees have no alternative in order to keep applicants from bolting from a poorly thought-out CEO-mandated pipeline. And I guess I should be thankful not to work for a company run by someone apparently so inconsiderate. I just wish I could have those days and hours of my life, invested vainly, back. Not to mention the emotional investment of my hopes.

Interview Questions

• From Terry Ragon: On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being just fix immediate problem, and 10 being understand the whole system completely, where would you put yourself in how you address a bug?   Answer Question

Security & Compliance Analyst Role Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at InterSystems in June 2019.

Interview

Pretty much the same as what everyone else has said.

I find it ridiculous that they screen everyone through this same process of 3 tests. I also find it unproductive to test things that don't have much, if any, relevance to a job position, i.e.--programming for this position.

I think that they will miss out on MANY qualified candidates through this process.

Steer clear of this place until they change their process.

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at InterSystems (London, England) in March 2018.

Interview

The process was incredibly lengthy. It requires an online personality test and more academic test before even reaching face to face. There was then a further 3 stages which is excessive. However, the internal recruiter there in the UK office was incredibly helpful, professional and accommodating .

Interview Questions

• Asked about my previous experience and a few competency based questions   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at InterSystems.

Interview

First, I was given three online tests
    1) Behavioral test - this test is not supposed to factor into any decisions, just to assess what candidates expectations and attitudes are
    2) Pass/Fail Logic Test. 35 minute timed test with 20 questions. The test introduces a fictional programming language and, for each new rule introduced, asks you a multiple choice question to demonstrate you know how it works.
    3) Pass/Fail General Reasoning Test. 45 minute timed test with 20 questions.

Afterwards, a quick HR phone screen.

And after that, a 1 hour technical interview with an engineer.

Interview Questions

• Given a C function, read over the function, describe what it does, what bugs it has, and how to test it.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterSystems.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me by phone. There were 3 tests, including a technical programming test that the language had to be learnt on the spot, an aptitude test, and a personality test. Afterwards, a senior staff member interviewed me, asking my background, experience, etc. Then the country manager, the director and the VP.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at InterSystems.

Interview

Professional Employment Test – PET
    45 mins - 20 questions

Data Interpretation
    Quantitative Problem Solving
    Reading Comprehension
    TET:
        Technical Test ( Example provided below)
    Data Interpretation
    Quantitative Problem Solving
    Reading Comprehension

TET:

Interview Questions

• TET:
      For example: What is the output of an expression in the fictional programming language?   Answer Question

Help Desk Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at InterSystems (Worcester, MA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter who stated they were looking for a help desk technician to work directly for the Vice President managing her technology. Recruiter stated I was a great fit.

I was then sent 3 different tests to take, two of which were timed (35 minutes and 45 minutes). One test was a personality test, another a comprehension test, and the final a technical test to test my technical knowledge.

The personality test and comprehension tests were easy. However, the technical test was actually designed for software engineers and not help desk technicians.

The test was 20 questions long and you had 45 minutes to answer them all. It was a giant programming test designed to test your ability as a software engineer.

As someone that is looking for an IT job and isn’t actually a software engineer, I would have assumed that the test given would have been centered around the IT field like troubleshooting and customer service. Instead I was given a software engineer test which isn’t what I was even attempting to interview for.

In the end, I didn’t score high enough in the technical test and was turned down the chance to interview for the position which I was actually qualified for.

When I spoke to the recruiter about this test and explained that this was something out of my comfort zone considering I am not a software engineer, the recruiter stated she asked them about this and they agreed that the test given to me was geared toward a software engineer and it a help desk position. However, because I didn’t score high enough they had to move on.

Not a single question in the technical test was related to a Help Desk Technician/IT job.

My feedback for the company would be to reevaluate how you administer these tests cause Information Technology is not the same as Software Engineer. A qualified candidate for the Help Desk position was turned away because he wasn’t educated as a software engineer.

Interview Questions

• Decipher 20 questions of code using a language you may not know.   1 Answer

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at InterSystems (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Easy and varied, met a lot of different people in the office and team. The recruitment team were always available to walk me through the process and gave me a perfect understanding of the timing of the hiring and selection process.

Interview Questions

• What do you value most in a team?   1 Answer

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at InterSystems.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin as my qualifications and expertise uniquely met an open position. He expressed that their recruiters agreed and were eager for me to proceed. Unfortunately, I was not offered an interview after not passing their PET test. After doing some research, the test has a 76% failure rate. That fact is noted in a slide show the company put together in 2011 on their hiring practices. They obviously feel their methods work for them but it seems odd that a test can negate a recruited candidate's entire relevant work experience.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.