Jane Street Summer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Jane Street Summer Interview Questions

Interviews at Jane Street

3.7

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Jane Street (New Haven, CT (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

I interviewed here last year for the summer internship. I wasn't used to the interview process of answering problem solving questions and so wasn't sure what to do. The guy that interviewed me was blunt and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Whats the furthest date you can come up with without repeating any numbers?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Jane Street

Summer Interview

Interview

Two over the phone interviews, first coding and then problem solving. Each interview lasted about 45 minutes and I would say both were fairly demanding. A professional experience although unfortunately I did not progress further.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Jane Street (Chicago, IL (US)) in February 2017.

Interview

Submitting application through campus recruiting. First round was a phone interview. A woman interviewed me. She was positive, but very strict at the same time. It was apparent that she was solely looking for the right answers and did not care very much about me as a person.

Interview Questions

• Probability based questions with some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Got an interview after application through the university. The interview took about half an hour. All the questions asked are probability questions, related to picking balls, playing cards. The interviewer set a situation first, and then let me to give the probability of different results. They will guid you if you get stuck, but I guess they expect a good candidate to be both accurate and fast.

Interview Questions

• probability of winning when play with the card   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Jane Street.

Interview

Applied for interview through college career site, was a half hour interview. There was a bit of talking about yourself in the beginning, but most of it was problem solving. Jane Street is definitely looking for the smartest people and they're willing to interview everyone for it. That being said, I think actually getting an offer is extremely difficult. However, practice problems and answers are everywhere on the internet (due the the sheer number of interviews) so it's definitely possible to be adequately prepared for it.

Interview Questions

• You have 50 black balls and 50 white balls and two buckets. How would you distribute the balls so that when a bucket is randomly chosen and a random ball is drawn out of that bucket, the probability of getting a black ball is at its highest?   2 Answers

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2014.

Interview

Sent an application in through their website. Heard back quickly from a recruiter who told me that I could take an online test and be passed onto the second round automatically. I accepted, was sent an email which linked me to an online testing website. There were 4 questions to answer which I will detail below. I have yet to hear back but I definitely do not expect an offer.

Interview Questions

• We have two urns. You can't tell them apart from the outside, but one has three $1 chips and seven $10 chips, and the other has eight $1 chips and two $10 chips. You randomly draw a chip from one of the urns and it happens to be a $10 chip. Without replacing this draw, I offer you a chance to draw and keep a chip from either urn. Should you draw from the same urn or the opposite urn, and what is the expected value of the chip you draw? Why?   3 Answers
    • A bag has three coins in it which are visually indistinguishable, but when flipped, one coin has a 60% chance of coming up heads, another has a 40% chance of coming up heads, and the last has a 100% chance of coming up heads. I randomly draw a coin from the bag and flip it, and the result comes up heads. What is the probability that if I re-flip this coin, it will come up heads again? Why?   3 Answers
    • You have been chosen to play a game involving a 6-sided die. You get to roll the die once, see the result, and then may choose to either stop or roll again. Your payoff is the sum of your rolls, unless this sum is (strictly) greater than 6, in which case you "bust" and get nothing. What is your strategy for this game? That is, for each possible outcome of the first roll will you choose to stop or to roll again? Why?   4 Answers
    • We randomly select 4 numbers from the set of the first 20 prime numbers, without replacement. What is the probability their sum is odd? Why?   3 Answers

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jane Street in December 2019.

Interview

Applied online through their website. Uploaded CV and answered short questions. Heard back from an HR a few days later, and arranged an interview. Heard result of the interview in about 5 days.

Summer Interview

Interview

There were 2-4 telephone interviews and one onsite interview(I think). I failed after the third phone interview. The recruiting process was very fast-paced. You will basically receive your result from the previous stage within days.

Interview Questions

• There were some basic expectation questions in the first round. The second and third were more about gaming strategies to maximize your winning, assuming your competitor is equally smart as you as such.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jane Street (London, England) in January 2019.

Interview

Quickly contacted and phone interview setup. First interview was 20 minutes over the phone, 3 questions on probability/expectation/brain teasers. No calculator or writing is allowed.

Second round was the same but longer.. this means more questions and higher difficulty. Should review the concepts they recommend before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Standard probability expectation questions you would find in a textbook.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Interview

Smooth and quick, receive an email inviting to phone interview the next day. For the phone interview it mainly includes maths probability questions. Know your conditional probability, coin tossing and expected values would be quite helpful. It may need some mental maths when solving probability questions, easy to forget your previous result when the results become more and more.

Interview Questions

• Q: what is the angle between two hands when the clock is 10:45   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.