John Lewis & Partners Retail Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Lewis & Partners Retail Sales Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at John Lewis & Partners

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in May 2018.

Interview

Applied online, easy process. Got invited to a group interview and got to choose a time slot which best suited me.
Interview was split into two parts - group the individual.

Interview Questions

• In a group had to come up with a guide for good customer service and how to deal with a complaint.
    Had to sell a product to an interviewer as a group.
    Then had a one on one interview with questions such as tell me about yourself, why do you think you'd be a good fit for the role, tell me a time you've explained a new technology to someone, tell me a time when you have provided excellent customer service.
    I found the group interview part irritating because none of the rest of the group wanted to contribute so it looked like I was taking over, but didn't really have a choice otherwise we wouldn't have come up with anything.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for John Lewis & Partners

Anonymous Employee in High Wycombe, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (High Wycombe, England) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was quite straight forward. You go into a room with around 5 other individuals and they give you a task to complete, usually regarding some kind of issue you would typically encounter in day-to-day work or about fashion. The best way is to be confident in leading discussion but allow others to talk. They will then interview you on your own for a few minutes and ask some questions to get an idea of your personality.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you managed a quality service.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Bristol, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Interview was a Group interview and had to discuss different scenarios and how we would deal with them . The process was well designed and everyone was given equal opportunities. I felt relaxed and welcomed since the start

Interview Questions

• Scenario based questions, How would you deal with this customer etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England) in July 2016.

Interview

We had a 1:1 interview first with a partner in which we had to answer scenario based questions, then we had group assessment in which we had to "create" a handout for new partners in a branch for temporary roles in a busy time period. I used personal experiences for my 1:1 interview to demonstrate that I had successfully dealt with these types of scenarios. My advice is to really speak up in group section because one individual keep speaking over me, whereas I respectfully listened to them. Remember they can only assess you on what you say. Show that your a team player who also demonstrates the key ideals of John Lewis.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to disagree with an individual above you for the betterment of the situation as whole?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Billericay, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Billericay, England) in July 2015.

Interview

3 applicants were interviewed in the same sitting by personnel manager and the sales floor manager. Very low key and informal. Free to express yourself and pose questions. All candidates were asked to contribute towards a typical retail scenario where deliveries were to be made to various destinations in the face of bad weather, staff shortages etc. Whole process lasted about one hour thereafter candidates interviewed individually on a one to one basis.

Interview Questions

• Which days of the week would you be able to work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Birmingham, England) in June 2015.

Interview

Just as described below - assessment centre - not enough time to answer questions no warning before 2 minutes were up. No chance to actually show your qualities. What made the whole process negative was my request for feedback to which I was told : We are unfortunately not able to provide feedback on the assessment you attended, due to the high number of applicants that attended out group assessment.
    I found it extremely rude and due to lack of respect I rejected the second hand offer. I know JL has good reputation but I find their HR very unprofessional, slow and unable to deal with what they have on their plate. I still don't know where I have gone wrong or where I was strong. I know that places such as Selfridges have that little respect and find 5 minutes to explain what one could polish. I decided not to work or apply for further positions because their approach shows that as one of thousands you will not be taken into account. So much for personal approach.

Interview Questions

• Talk about yourself , good service you received, what is your passion   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Birmingham, England) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled in an application online and got an email asking me to come in for a group interview. Went to the group interview with around 30 other people. This was for the new flagship store in Birmingham and they told us at the interview that they were interviewing 3000 people for 400 sales assistant positions (!). We were put into groups of 4 or 5 with an assessor on each table and asked to go around in our groups and answer 3 questions, we had 2 minutes to prepare and then 2 minutes to answer the questions. The assessor would then score you and then they all left the room to "collate their scores" The second task involved being told about a scenario where someone wanted to buy something for an occasion etc with a set amount of money and you would pick items from a list and try and sell it to your assessor in your groups. Finally, we had to draw a person on a big sheet of paper and list 5 things that would make a perfect John Lewis partner and present it in our groups back to the whole room. We were then asked to write our availability and whether we wanted to work full or part time.That was it, no one-on-one interview or any more questions. A few weeks later me and several other people I know who had interviewed were told that we had passed the interview stage and were "on hold until a suitable rota could be assigned" - making me think that I had the job. Another month passed and hearing nothing, I emailed them. They responded saying that they had filled most of their positions, and people were being given positions based on their scores in the group interview. They said they might be able to give me a Christmas temp position, something that I did not apply for. I later got an email saying that all the positions had now been filled, and that a Christmas temp position wasn't guaranteed but I might be in with a chance. I was very unimpressed by this, because the original email saying that I had passed the assessment caused me to think that I had got the full job that I applied for, not that i *might* be in with a chance of a Christmas temp job. It also comes across as lazy on their part, as they obviously couldn't be bothered to interview another lot of people for Christmas temp positions. I declined to further my application.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about something you feel passionate about   Answer Question
    • Tell us about one time when you delivered exceptional customer service   Answer Question

Retail Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners in August 2013.

Interview

After carrying out a online application i got invited to a group interview we were shown into a room there was about thirty of us and we split off into tables or about five each then we got given three tasks to work together and after finishing each task we got asked questions as a group about how we reached the conclusions we did and why we acted in the way we did.

Interview Questions

• create a poster to advertise a new store opening in another country ? we had to delegate who did what among ourselves   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England) in November 2011.

Interview

Can't recall much apart ftom it was one interview at the time with one to one and lasted about half hour.The interviewer was a very nice gentlemen and made me feel at ease.
    It took place at Peter Jones Department Store in Sloane Square London in their recruitment section on the top floors. After my interview I heard back from Peter Jones that my interview went well and was offered the job as a full time as a retsil/sakes assistant.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.