John Lewis & Partners Section Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

John Lewis & Partners Section Manager Interview Questions

Updated 3 Aug 2018

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chichester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Chichester, England) in June 2016.

Interview

Firstly there was a practical where I was given 40 minutes to come up with an action plan on organising a big weekend event. 20 minutes to present my plan to the two interviewers then 30 minutes of interview style questioning. Interview process was very standard though, no people focus behind it, was made to feel uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for John Lewis & Partners

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England) in March 2015.

Interview

The first hour consisted of a group of 4 candidates being assessed by 4 managers to perform a task which we were given 15 minutes to prepare. Our task was to create an action plan for a big sales event taking place in store at the weekend and what opportunities and issues needed to be addressed in order to do this. It's important to say a lot and get really involved, bounce off other peoples ideas and make sure everyone is speaking- show consideration but also try and show leadership. After one hour we were given feedback and the managers left the room. Myself and another candidate were asked to leave the room where we were told we had made it through to the interview and the others would be sent home!! The interview was 2 managers (one asking most questions and one scribing) and were relatively normal, competency based questions and some technical questions regarding what I do would do in certain situations that may arise in the role I applied for.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have had to change your style of communication?   Answer Question
    • List three things that would be most important to you for this role   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and completed a questionaire. I was later informed of an interview date to be held at their store in Oxford Street, London. I was told to get their at least 15 minutes early and learn all about the partnership, neither of which were necessary as they were running late and I was never asked anything about the partnership.

I was taken upstairs with some other candidates and informed the interview was to be in two parts. The first part consisted of a one to one interview with a manager and the second would be a group task.

The one to one interview was supposed to last half an hour but actually only lasted 20 minutes as he disappeared for 10 minutes to copy my passport. The interview questions were very basic and I was asked about my career to date. I don't think he had looked at my CV or even considered my experience and skills before the interview.

The second part of the interview was with other candidates, about 6 in total, to work out, discuss and come up with an action plan. The task was about an event which was to be held in the store over a weekend and we were managers discussing the best way to action the event. Unfortuately, in group interviews/tasks such as this, there always seems to be one person that is louder than the rest and insists on trying to control the task. He was totally obnoxious and no one could get a word in. We were being scored by our contribution to the discussion but this guy was stealing all the points and not letting me get my point across. The group task was not a fair assessment, so be prepared.

In conclusion, the interviewers seemed very indifferent and didn't seem very interested in me and we're just looking at the candidates as numbers to be processed.

After 2 weeks I was informed by email that my application had been unsuccessful and that my application would not be taken any further. No surprise there really! I had gone into the interview full of hope and had taken days to prepare learning all about the JL Partnership and difficult interview questions, none of which were dealt with at the interview.

Furthernore, I was asked on the rejection email if I would like feedback of the interview, to which I replied, Yes I would like a reply please. I chased this up with a further request for feedback and I have still not received any feedback or a reply from them.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions and the interviewer failed to asked more probing questions from his original questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tamworth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Tamworth, England) in June 2011.

Interview

online form and tests to complete
    group assessment (for new stores only) incluidng 15 min 121 interview
    Standard interview questions apply.
    Value oriented

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None Offered

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England) in July 2017.

Interview

If successful at the initial Online tests (numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and situation based scenarios) invited to an interview.
    First part of the interview was to do a timed exercise, and produce a simple presentation to give to your interviewer. It's fairly easy if you know what you're doing and is basically a way to test whether you have the knowledge/ qualities to succeed in the role.
    Then follows the standard interview style questions (give me an example of when.../ what qualities could you bring to us? Etc etc)
    My interviewer also had some of his own questions just so he could find out a bit more about me as a person.
    It was all fairly informal and not 'intense' as some people fear interviews to be.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you had to change your approach   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of when you had to deal with pressure   Answer Question
    • Give me an example when you had to encourage others to work on something that perhaps they didn't initially want to   Answer Question
    • How would you integrate yourself with everyone else working here   Answer Question
    • What do you want to achieve (in your career/ in the next few years)   Answer Question

Section Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners.

Interview

There was first of all an application online going through numeracy skills test which was 40 mins long and straightforward. Then there was a verbal reasoning test which again is straightforward. Finally there was a situational response test which took a lot longer trying to make sure your results were focused oh how a manager should reply to situations. The actual job though did not have any hours specified on the site and I found out that this was going to mean working Saturday and Sundays every 2nd week which meant I had to pull out due to having a family and work/life would not have been balanced. Check the hours before you apply for any roles.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (London, England).

Interview

Assessment center where we first had to stand up and speak about ourselves for 3 minute's. Then on to 3 team work based problem solving exercises. One about a zebra and water, one regarding what John lewis could learn from other retailers and one about prioritising

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners (Chelmsford, England) in February 2018.

Interview

10 minutes presentation,10 minutes questions, then 40 minute questions. It was a very average interview process, with two people posing questions to you.Both interviewers were friendly and approachable, made me feel at ease

Section Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at John Lewis & Partners in January 2018.

Interview

Online application with questionnaire and CV submit ion, followed by interview where had to do a presentation and answer questions to 2 operational managers. Questions were pretty basic and related to the Leadership Behaviors determined by the Partnership. Mostly questions asking to specify a time when... Def use the STAR system to answer them, otherwise you run out of time to the interview.

Interview Questions

• List three things that would be most important to you for this role   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.