Kier Group Graduate Civil Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Kier Group Graduate Civil Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

The assessment day was at Twickenham rugby stadium and started at 0815. Hotels were reimbursed up to £70 if you lived more than 40 miles away and travel was reimbursed up to £50. At the start of the assessment day, we watched a welcome presentation and were then split into groups. We then completed the various activities on a rotational basis. My group began with the group exercises.

Our first task was to have a discussion between four of us about the current challenges and opportunities facing the construction industry. We had fifteen minutes. When these fifteen minutes were up, we were given the challenge of choosing the three challenges/opportunities we believed to be most important, and to give a short presentation on them. My advice would be to keep an eye on the clock, remind your team of the time constraints, be a good listener and engage in the conversation. Don’t worry too much if you’re nervous presenting after such a short preparation time, I believe these exercises were more assessed on team work.

The second group exercise involved a bag full of coloured tubes of different lengths and a variety of joints to connect them with. The task was based around making a structure out of the equipment to achieve a higher score as possible based on the shapes we could create within the structure. During the first part of the exercise we had fifteen minutes. The second part involved a change of brief (the scoring now varied with the use of colour within the shapes) and we now had five minutes planning time at the start, along with five minutes to count our score afterwards. By the end of the exercise it is clear that the challenge is deliberately very complex for the fifteen minutes allotted time and that the actual score we achieved was of little importance. I think the assessment was based more around how we handled pressure and organised as a team. Have a discussion and make a plan at the start of the session so everyone understands what they are doing before they start building.

After these exercises we had an hour or so for lunch. Some recent graduates will likely be around so take advantage of this time to have a chat with them about the programme. They were all very friendly and helpful.

After lunch we had our interviews. I had two people interview me, someone who was currently on the graduate programme and a more senior engineer. The interview was split into several sections and lasted around 50 minutes. The sections included usual stuff like competency based questions and questions about your motivation, personality and experience. One section of the interview contained more technical questions and was a bit more unexpected. I was asked to pick an area of study I was particularly strong in so they could ask me questions about it. I said stress and structural analysis but they went for more general construction questions. Examples at the end. At the end of the interview you will be given the opportunity to ask some questions. Make sure you have some prepared. The interview on the whole felt fairly informal and chatty so relax, take your time with your answers and be yourself.

After the interview we went to a quiet room and had to complete a 35 minute test. It was similar in nature to most psychometric tests. We were emailed an example question prior to the assessment day so definitely check that out to get an idea of the format. The only advice I have would be to do some practice psychometric tests before you go and to keep an eye on the time as it is quite tight. Most people in my group did not finish every card set, and I only had about one minute to spare by the time I got through them.

The final assessed part of the day was to give a solo presentation. We were emailed the presentation brief before the event; to give a five minute presentation on Kier Group’s core values and how we embody them. The brief did not go into much more detail than that so not a huge amount of direction given, and there was the option to bring in props, handouts or notes. I decided to keep it simple and just talk for five minutes note free. My advice would be to put in a few funny parts to make yourself stand out and seem more confident. This can be a bit daunting but I think it really worked for me. I presented to four people and after I had finished I was asked two questions (see below).

After this we had an end of day presentation and were then sent home a bit before 1630. We were told we would hear back from them within the next two weeks. My assessment day was on a Wednesday and I received a call on Friday evening offering me the job, so very quick response. I’m not a big fan of interviews and assessment days (who is?) but on the whole a relatively pain free experience. The graduates were genuinely lovely and I am very excited to start.

Interview Questions

• Would you put your success in work and education so far more down to effort or ability?   Answer Question
  • Why did you choose Kier?   Answer Question
  • What do you find most motivating in a work environment?   Answer Question
  • Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question
  • What made you decide to be a civil engineer?   Answer Question
  • What would your friends say about you?   Answer Question
  • (Technical question) What would you consider when deciding whether to build a structure using steel or reinforced concrete?   Answer Question
  • (Technical question) How would you go about estimating the weight of the shard?   Answer Question
  • (Technical question) You are designing a five storey building that must support a heavy water tank on its top level. What would you need to consider in your design and construction plan with regards to the water tank?   Answer Question
  • (Presentation question) Which of the core values do you feel resonates most with you?   Answer Question
  • (Presentation question) What part did you find most difficult about preparing for the presentation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Kier Group

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Kier Group (Leicester, England) in February 2017.

Interview

Online Application, submit CV and cover letter. Invited to assessment centre where there were group exercises (testing team work interaction), group presentation (focused on client satisfaction), problem-solving test and a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Largely non-technical, wanted to know what you are like as a person   1 Answer

Negotiation

Could negotiate location

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied through their website, submitted application and was invited to their assessment centre in London. The assessment day consisted of group discussion, group exercise, 1hr interview, 50min test and 5min presentation to a panel. Lunch was provided as well as snacks and tea/coffee throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• A mixture of competency and technical questions like why do you want to work here, why civil engineering, questions around temporary works/management and legislation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in December 2017.

Interview

Relaxed interview, no technical questions, about one hour with two managers
    group discussion (five members) about today's challenges in the construction sector
    group task
    5 mins presentation about Kiers values
    problem-solving test(mathematical test)
    had the chance to meet other graduates

Interview Questions

• -tell us about yourself
      -why kier?
      -strengths/weaknesses
      -a time you worked as part of a team   1 Answer

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Kier Group in February 2016.

Interview

Nice environment. Lots of questions. Less technical more about the person and how to manage difficult situations. Just stayed focused and decribed my competencies through my experiences as clearly as possible. Overall, a lengthy process but quite pleasant.

Interview Questions

• One question was about CDM Regulations 2015.   1 Answer

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Kier Group.

Interview

Full day of group/individual activities with plenty of opportunities to talk to other graduates in the company. Prior to the assement day we where asked to produce a presentation about kier, their values and what we could offer to the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for kier?
      Why choose civil engineering?
      Interview was relaxed after the presentation, no technical questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

didnt negotiate

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

During the Kier Graduate Assessment Day, you will be interviewed by two members of the Kier Group as part of the assessment. One is a senior member, and the other one is a recently-joined graduate. The interview takes 50 minutes. The most important part is, in the end you will be given a chance to ask questions. Make sure you definitely ask some questions about the role. This will help you demostrate sincere interest.

Interview Questions

• What are the key challenges that you may face during your graduate development programme?
      How do you plan to overcome these challenges?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kier Group (Manchester, England) in November 2016.

Interview

Assessment centre consisted of group task, presentation/interview, pitching and presenting as a group, logical test

Interview:
    lots of questions about how you feel you make an impact on a team, but essentially a conversational interview

Competency questions:
    name a challenge you overcame
    time you showed leadership
    most difficult decision

Group task:
    build the skeletal framework of a tunnel, build a car and pass it through the tunnel. TIP: be the one who keeps track of time. form a plan to begin with and split team into separate tasks

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Kier Group (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Team exercise X2 followed by interview and presentation. Also includes a group debate. Just be yourself and don't be afraid to speak up. Listen to other people opinions and convince them your solution is valid if it is. If not don't be afraid to say so.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.