King Big Data Rotational Graduate Scheme Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

1 Interview Review

2.0

Big Data Rotational Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at King (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

First you do the usual, submit your CV and a maximum 500 words of why you want to work for King. Then there's a webcam interview stage, done through HireVue (i.e. the questions are pre-recorded and you answer them at your leisure, they then evaluate at their leisure). The webcam interview threw me a little, there were a few "coding" questions thrown in, where you all of a sudden had to write a script to perform a simple task. I was surprised I was progressed at this stage since they were quite specific "write a script in R" rather than "a language of your choice" and I really didn't answer these questions very well.

Then you get asked to their offices at which point Vince, their head of data (or possibly head of Data for the UK) gives you a comprehensive presentation, and gives you the opportunity to ask a few questions. Finally you're given a 2 hour supervised, written test.

I did not get to the final stage but as I understand it, after what I described, you get to a final day interview in which Vince interviews you face to face.

Interview Questions

• 1 maths (simple probability) question, 1 Unix question (really simple stuff, such as how to remove the first column of a data set in a text file in bash), 1 "design a program in a language of your choice" question with some simple tasks like printing out the first Fibonacci numbers over 1000, and finally a question about SQL queries.

On the whole, the test was very easy. It did not give you the opportunity to do anything smart. You either knew the answers, or you didn't. There were no questions that required any thought. One question was literally "what is the combination of keys to close emacs or vim?". The test in no way attempted to gauge your ability to think logically or learn new concepts quickly.   1 Answer
Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.