MAC Cosmetics Retail Makeup Artist Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

MAC Cosmetics Retail Makeup Artist Interview Questions

Interviews at MAC Cosmetics

3.2

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY (US)) in June 2018.

Interview

Hire value first interview . Digital. It s a creepy think to tale to yourselve about how you are supose to be eligibile for the job. So, I think I made a full of myself

Interview Questions

• Too many questions about the company   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for MAC Cosmetics

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (New York, NY (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online on indeed and basically got the email to come in for a verbal interview and a makeup demo. In the verbal interview they will mainly ask you costumer service based questions, for the makeup demo you are asked to bring in a model and have about 20-25 mins to complete a look. The artistry instructors will basically pick how much time they wanna give you, and whether or not they want to switch your models on the spot so be prepared for anything basically. During the demo your also expected to bring your own clean brushes. And they will pull your model and give them a senerio. They did not switch my model and basically gave us 20 mins to do a glowy skin/bold lip look. Interact with your client they aren't really looking for much Artistry skill they want to see that you can make conversation and can give the client what they want. Bold lip means RED, pull in skin care for brownie points.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went outta your way for a costumer   2 Answers
    • How do you handle a difficult costumer   Answer Question

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Silver Spring, MD (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

Drop you resume off at a counter, first interview is verbal with manager, then it's the skills interview where makeup techniques are tested, then one on one with trainer to discuss pay/ work description

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

quick interview at the store when i dropped of my resume then it was a group interview and makeup application test .. they will ask you to bring a model (they will switch models when its time to do the makeup)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Dearborn, MI (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

Long and informative process. There was a verbal interview followed by two Makeup interviews. Last interview is done with a regional trainer who provides great feedback about product knowledge and what to expect once hired.

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics.

Interview

Depending on how much the counter needs you or how well the particular person in charge likes you this can be a short or very lengthy process. If you go the recruiter some wait months. Go directly to the counter to apply and prepared to do a face-to-face and a full face application

Interview Questions

• Very typical interview questions, particularly related to working in a fast paced environment and how to retain customers   Answer Question

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Killeen, TX (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Killeen, TX (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward. The interview was held at a hotel because the store wasn't finished yet. At least 40 girls were there when I arrived (an hour early). This was a career call type interview, so it was open to whoever showed up. They had a sign in sheet and paper applications for you to bring in along with your resume and portfolio if you had one (I had mine loaded on my phone but was so nervous that I forgot to even show her). There were three people conducting interviews and they would come out and call people on the list. It was a little annoying because you are in one room with three other people who are all talking at the same time, and the more nervous girls were VERY loud, I had a hard time hearing myself think. I was interviewed by the recruiter for the area and she was super sweet. She asked me a few questions like why MAC, what experience do I have, and how I would handle a situation where someone was unhappy with the makeup I did. Also, I don't know if the other interviewers asked, but I wasn't asked anything about the company more than "why MAC" and when I said the culture she asked me what the culture was. So I didn't get grilled on the owners or the history at all. Afterward she asked if I had any questions for her and then invited me to the second portion, the makeup demo.

The makeup demo was fun and terrifying. There were 11 people doing makeup on 11 clients at the same time. Of course they had you bring a model and of course they switched them so you were working on a stranger. They brought all of the artists in first and taught us basic sanitizing techniques and what they are looking for (more how you interact with your client rather than skill, but they do want to see beautiful faces). While they did that one of the three who did the interviews slipped out and told all of the models that they were to ask for a neutral eye, full coverage foundation, brows, and a bright lip. This is like, my go to so I was so stoked when my 'client' asked for that.

I am very experienced in working with makeup and selling at both Sephora and Ulta so the talking to the client bit came really naturally to me. Just keep asking them questions, chatting when you aren't concentrating so hard you go silent (I did that a few times) and having them take peeks. Be sure to hand them that mirror! And always get their permission before you touch their face with your hands. They prefer that you don't at MAC but I like getting that verbal if there is something that just won't blend and needs a little help.

They had a selection of products in the tiny room for you to use and you were expected to bring your own clean brushes. Now, I just moved here and EVERYTHING was in storage and I panicked. I literally only had about 6 brushes that I use every day and was stressed that they were looking for a 'professional' set or something, definitely don't worry about that.

They had us select the products we needed, putting creams and liquids in a little petri dish. I sanitized everything straight away just to make sure it was done and to save time but I ended up re-sanitizing everything during the demo to make sure they saw me doing it (in case someone didn't see me in the beginning). We had 30 minutes and I felt that that was a good amount of time. My model was sweet and reminded me that I forgot mascara (I had finished with a minute to spare and was freaking out).

After they took pictures of us with our models and said they would be giving us a call by Tuesday if we made it (this was on a Thursday). If we didn't receive a call we were to try again.

There was a second round of people for the demos waiting when we left.

I got a call from the recruiter who interviewed me on Monday and she offered me a part time retail artist position (not full time but a step above freelance!). I go in to do paper work on Wednesday and then basic training in August :D

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a client who was unhappy with their makeup and the only clues you had were their body language? How would you avoid that situation entirely?   2 Answers
    • Why MAC?   1 Answer

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Interview

My interview was a one on one interview with a manager at the corporate office. During my interview, there were other one on one interviews going on in the same room. If you passed the verbal interview, you were invited back to do the makeup interview/demo the following day. The makeup demo was held at a nearby mall at one of the MAC counters.

Interview Questions

• What are the current trends?   1 Answer

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (Houston, TX (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

The hiring process is very lengthy, it can take up to 6 months to get hired from initial application submission. Several interviews will be conducted for even a freelance position.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you encountered a customer that is creating a scene   Answer Question

Retail Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MAC Cosmetics (College Station, TX (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

In person interview - then if you were chosen to further the application process, you were asked back again to bring a model and have a makeup interview on a model in the natural way in which you would interact with a customer.

Interview Questions

• What are your biggest struggles when working with a team?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.