Macmillan Publishers Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Macmillan Publishers

2.8

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was very casual. I knew the RM and he also had the technology specialist there for the interview. I was very experienced and was a top performer at several rival companies. This is sad because they hired someone with no experience which according to several insiders I know is common now. Maybe this is why Macmillan can't increase their market share. Experience counts.

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I immediately got called for an interview within the same week.

Conversation style interview. The two women that interviewed me kept indirectly bringing up my race/ethnicity as an issue. Words like "our culture" and phrases like "not sure how the team will respond to you/ get along with you" was brought up ALOT. They promoted a lot of negatives about the job, they kept trying to give me reasons not to want the job, they kept trying to discredit my qualifications and seemed to find it hard I could accomplish those things. At the end of the interview one of them did not want to shake my hand. She gave me her elbow. HR should never have called me if they didn't like my background.

If offered I will not take the position ( I doubt I will be). It was made very obvious that "my culture" was not welcome. Throughout the interview I did remain professional and respectful and was dressed professional.

I will look elsewhere. It is what it is. I am not letting it distract me.

Interview Questions

• They did not want to interview me and Kept creating qualifications. When they did ask me questions it came off condescending.

For example:

Interviewer: "You may also have to do some research and this position would require that the candidate have research skills and communication skills".

My response: I'm happy you say that because I majored in ( ) and my program was heavy in research and I got to utilize those opprotunities..and my experiences also allowed me to develop excellent communication skills...

Interviewer: well... The candidate also should have a business background (something that was not ever mentioned before).

Why did HR call me again?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Interview

Was called in for that week, was a polite and cheerful comversation. Overall a positive experience, although I did not get the job. Have had similar positive experiences with Macmillan HR in the past.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted by an HR associate about their interest in my application for this summer internship. Then, I was asked to have a phone interview with the assistant editor of the imprint I'd be working for. After a friendly and successful interview, I was offered the internship based on the phone interview. I was not asked for an in-person interview as they needed to fill the position quickly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous internship experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate as it was an internship position at a fixed hourly rate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY (US)) in September 2011.

Interview

After submitting an application on the Macmillan website, HR will give you a call for an interview if your credentials are acceptable (I had barely any experience at the time). You will be slotted based on your experience, so I was selected to interview with an imprint on the lesser end of the renown-spectrum. The interview process was very laidback, and my editors' personalities shown through. It was a small team and they were all present for the interview, and they gave a great picture of the overall operations.

Interview Questions

• What drew you to our publication?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Internship - flat 8$/hr rate with no negotiating. Take it or leave it 'cause the lumpenproletariat is waiting for your job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY (US)) in April 2010.

Interview

They asked mostly basic questions, like why I wanted to work in publishing and what books I had read recently. I interviewed with two people at once over speakerphone which often made it very difficult to make out what they were saying.

Application

Interview

Someone from HR called to set up the interview, and I came in to New York for the interview. The interview was one-on-one with the person who was my supervisor for the summer. Interview process was straightforward and easy; the interviewer mostly seemed concerned that I knew what the internship would consist of. There were no particularly tricky questions, just the usual fare. I think the selection for the position was mostly decided by the proofreading test I was given at the end of the interview. (I was allowed to take it home.)

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, just wanted to know about my past experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers (New York, NY (US)) in May 2010.

Interview

Phone interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers.

Interview

I applied online through the company website and was called for an interview about a month later. When they called, I was asked to come in the very next day. I went in and waited for my interview. When it was time, we did the interview and it lasted over an hour, but felt very short. The tone was conversational but with the interview in mind the whole time

Interview Questions

• - If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 newspapers/magazines would you bring?
      -How/where do you get your news?
      -Name a situation when there was a crisis and things got "off track" and you dealt/fixed it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macmillan Publishers in March 2016.

Interview

It was a short phone interview with a person in HR that took about 15 minutes. It was a basic, introductory interview discussing the company, my resume, the internship program, and my goals for the position.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.