Mako Trading Group Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor.co.uk

Mako Trading Group Interview Questions in London, England

Interviews at Mako Trading Group

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

Interview was changed from f2f to skype. Interviewer/ hiring manager asked to prepare a specific area of mathematics along with literature to read before the interview then asked no technical questions relating to what I had been asked to prepare. Was also asked to code during interview in a language I was told i wouldn't need to demonstrate in the interview (I hadn't used this language for a year or two). Overall poor communication to me as to what the format of the interview would be and what kind of things I might be tested on. Overall all my prep was rendered useless.

Interview Questions

• If you have a large cube filled with N-cubed cubes and you remove the top layer of those cubes, how many cubes have you removed ?   3 Answers

Senior Quantitative Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

Take home programming test followed by two on site interviews with the trading team and tech guys. There were a lot of questions on past experience with examples. Also a number of technical questions on performance.

After the interview the decision to make an offer was quick.

Interview Questions

• make_shared performance in relation to CPU cache synchronisation   Answer Question

Python Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in February 2020.

Interview

Python & SQL take-home test followed by in-person interviews with technical team and hiring manager.
    Next step was a larger python take-home exercise, data validation take-home exercise, with the final stage being in-person interviews with the technical team and more senior members of staff

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in January 2020.

Interview

I applied for this role in late December and interviewed in early Jan (Christmas and some Jan holidays slowed the process but this is to be expected). I had three interviews for this role. The first interview was a general meeting with the hiring manager followed by an IQ test (verbal/non-verbal reasoning). The second interview was one with the majority of the leadership team. This again was quite casual and the team mainly asking me questions about my experience and what I would bring to the role. My third interview was with some of the leadership team I hadn't previously met. I then received my outcome 6 days later so a quick process overall minus the Christmas disruption.

Interview Questions

• The questions focused on my experience as a project manager, my interests and what I thought I could bring to the role. I found the relaxed style of the interviews really helpful, as I felt I could chat freely and be myself.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

I got contacted by an agency recruiter from Saragossa for this Data Engineer role, for Mako, saying they are after an strong C++ developer to work on "Data ingestion algorithms" and "Data disemination pipelines" and if I had worked on those. I said no, but I would like to. He applied on my behalf and I was sent an online test via Codility which had 1 part of Shel, 2 parts of C++ code to write and 1 part of Python code to write. The recruiter said to me not to worry too much if I didn't get the 3rd and 4th parts as another candidate got invited despite those not being done. Right enough I did get invited for a face to face. Onsite, I saw the inhouse recruiter
    and a trader via Video link from Amsterdam. I found it odd that a trader was interviewing a developer first but thought may be he must be technical. I was also given an aptitude test while I was there, which I might have done ok as I was invited back again. I left with more questions about the suitablity of the role and thus asked the agency recruiter to arrange a telephone call before the next face to face round, so that I am not wasting anyone's time. He went back to Mako and they came back saying setting up a phone call was more involved with the head of software than setting up a face to face with him and other interviewers. I reluctantly agreed to meet them as I didn't have a job. It involved me organising some child care and paying for that too. When I turned of for the next face to face, I was given a C++ test to start, which was a cake walk. Then the head of software and the head of application support came to talk to me. Their first question after they asked me to describe myself was why I was applying for such a junior role. I was obviously taken aback and I said this was my concern too and I had asked to set a phone call up so that we are not wasting each others' time and I said what I was told regarding this request. They were obviously apologetic that they had somehow miscommunicated about the head of software's availability for a phone call. After I left, I got a message from the recruiter from Saragossa saying it was the Data team's fault at Mako and how he was annoyed with them as much as I was. I would like to know from Mako, how they thought it was reasonable for them to make someone who doesn't have a job to spend the money to come for an unnecessary second round of interview, incurring further costs of childcare. Were they thinking since I am out of a job I will come anyway? This has left me with such a bad impression of Mako that I am never going to come near this company.

Interview Questions

Mako Trading Group Response

5 Dec 2019 – Talent Acquisition

Hi,

Thank you for your honest review, while it is difficult to receive bad feedback we welcome the opportunity to improve, particularly around recruitment where Mako prides itself on having an efficient and effective interview process.

As discussed with you in the office at the end of this process we can only apologise for your poor experience on this occasion. Ultimately it appears to be a misunderstanding between us and one of our recruitment partners as we weren't aware that you had concerns over the level of the role and we would have happily set up a call if we had known which would have avoided the above issues. We have also looked at how we present the role in the first instance and are working with our partners to communicate this more effectively to candidates which will produce a better experience for all concerned.

Thanks again for interviewing with us and for your feedback, we appreciate your time and apologise again.

Business Development Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in September 2019.

Interview

The interview process consisted of multiple face-to-face interviews and one panel interview.
    All of those who interviewed me were friendly, and made a good impression of the company which did not disappoint.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in September 2019.

Interview

Multiple rounds of 1:1 interviews. Every single person I spoke from reception to CEO was incredibly friendly and gave a great impression of the company and its overall culture.

Applications Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in September 2019.

Interview

The interview process was done in a three parts. A first face to face interview with the hiring manager, an online technical test and a final interview with HR, the prospective team, and a couple senior members of the company.

The first interview was about gauging what I wanted from a career at MAKO and where I was looking to go as well as understanding my background. The second interview involved some more technical questions but had a strong focus on understanding if I was a good fit for the business, for both parties.

After a few days an offer was made via my recruiter. It was a pretty quick process and from the recruiter contacting me to receiving the offer was under 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• General questions around what I want to be doing and what I want to get out of a role here and a few "give me an example of a time when" type questions. General software knowledge was also probed.   Answer Question

HR Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in August 2019.

Interview

This included an initial face to face interview which was about an hour, along with written testing; this was then followed by a second round interview with various senior managers across the business.

Interview Questions

• Competency based questions, followed by questions on experience and motivations for the role/ firm.   Answer Question

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mako Trading Group (London, England) in July 2019.

Interview

Started with a short chat about the company and what they do. This was followed by a 15 minute logic-based aptitude test, and after that I had a chat with the interviewer about why I would like to work there, my skills and career plans.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.