Marks & Spencer Cafe Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 10 Nov 2017

2.7

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland).

Interview

Applied online. Had to complete loads of online scenario tests and personality tests. Went to the store and got asked basic questions about my experience, team work examples and why I would be good for the role. You must be flexible.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Cafe Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in May 2017.

Interview

Fairly straightforward interview, asked about previous experience, and what the roll entailed.
    However, my overall experience is extremely negative. After applying for a FULL TIME, over 30 hour contract and being told I got the job as well as signing a contract I received a phone call 3 weeks later being told I can only be offered 19 hours (part time) a week due to my relevant experience. In my eyes this is false advertisement of a job and extremely misleading considering I was told I got the job. After my interview I quit my current job, now leaving me unemployed.
    On top of this they wanted me to work Saturday and Sunday 10-5 every week. I believe I have been treated so badly as I am 18 years old and think they can mess me about.
    If I were you I wouldn't waste your valuable time applying as they'll only mess you about.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you have shown innovation, inspiration, integrity and in touch- in terms of the work place   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leeds, England) in January 2017.

Interview

Quick process applying online and completing the questionnaires (fairly easy), then emailed to book an interview slot. Went for an assessment and had to answer basis food knowledge questions, did an exercise on step-by-step instructions of making food and individual interview. Passed interview but was told that there are no vacancies and will keep my application on file for 6 months (although I think this means they hired someone else)

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Guildford, England) in August 2016.

Interview

After checking in at the customer assistance desk your interviewer greets you and takes you for a 1:1 interview. My particular interview took place in a small supply cupboard because there was 'no other rooms available at the moment,' You then complete a simple role play where you need to suggest alternatives to sold out products for a customer. You're given all the information in some paper hand outs. If you successfully pass the role play you're then taken for a 1:1 interview where they ask about experience etc.

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland) in July 2016.

Interview

Start off having a small chat with a member of staff, they explain how the process is going to go. For me it was a roleplay and then a formal interview.
    Roleplay you were given five minutes to read about the shop you were working for, and what the situation was with the 'customer'.

The member of staff walks back in and I was to start the roleplay immediately.
    It isn't as daunting as it seems, just talk to them how you would talk to a regular customer.
    Once that is over with another member of staff comes in and gives you a one to one interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Watford, East of England, England) in June 2016.

Interview

Very simple, apply online, filling in basic information about yourself. After this, during the first stage of the interview, I was given a role play exercise, where you need to choose the correct way one should act after an incident occurs. No answers are wrong here, it's just testing how you would behave in a work situation

Second stage is the competency based questions

Interview Questions

• Role play- How you would respond to different situations   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Guildford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Guildford, England) in October 2015.

Interview

Very brief. Had to answer a few questions and conduct a role play which wasn't as daunting as it sounded. Just quite pointless. Was offered a job there and then, they were very desperate for staff

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were in a difficult situation how did you over come this   1 Answer
    • Think of a time you were in a pressured situation. How did you handle this ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bromley, England) in July 2015.

Interview

Went through an intensive online application process and was offered an interview immediately for the next day. This gave me little time to prepare. Upon arrival of the store you have to check in and are taken to wait for the interviewee. The interviewer asked if i had done something similar before and if I knew what to expect, I said i had heard there was a role play involved and some questions to see if i was suitable for the role. Without asking any questions we jumped straight into the role play. I was given five minutes to learn four pages of products and know if they where in-stock and the names of what they are, a long with two more pages of materials that where suggesting local stores in the area and drinks to compliment the role play. All in all, the application process is quick and upfront about whether you got the job or not, however, the role play was unrelated to the tasks I would be doing and very memory intensive, i left feeling I had been set-up to fail.

Cafe Assistant Interview

Interview

Was asked lots of questions about why I thought I would be good for the role, filled out a 25 question test on food safety concepts (multiple choice) and then scored based on what I got. I got 18/25 and told I had passed, so not sure what the minimum pass rate was.

Interview Questions

• What would one of the downsides be to working at this store?   Answer Question

Was offered a different role instead in the store even though I had been offered the one I came in for. Decided there was a better role in the store for me than the one I came in for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in September 2014.

Interview

I filled an online application, most of which was how do you make an espresso etc. If you don't drink coffee it would have been a hard few questions, one's I didn't know I looked on line for. I found the questions were very much repeated and a bit tedious to be honest. Most of them were more about how sub- servant you are and not a free thinker. Several of them asked do you not seek praise from others, low to high you had to score. It took around 45 minutes on line. The next day you had an email to say you could book an appointment. I had an interview at Remploy in Newcastle, I was nervous and I misunderstood the question been asked of me. I was took in a room to do role play, because I misunderstood the question the interview was terminated there and then. I though that a bit harsh especially as I swotted up on their ten minutes, leaflets. I feel if I was given another go I would be a hard worker, pleasant staff member.

Interview Questions

• Keep asking me if I often expect praise from others. Also do I always put myself first in situations, this all sounded if I was selfish in having to say low to high to agree. I always put my children before myself but these questions were just de meaning.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.