Marks & Spencer Cafe Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 6 May 2018

2.3

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in May 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is purely online. I found a vacancy directly on their website and applied for it (requires registering). This role requires at least 6 months experience in the catering industry. Then you have to fill up your employment history, etc and do a 25 question quiz about general food and beverage knowledge. If you pass this then there's another assessment online in which you choose one out of three possible answers in a given in-store scenario, all related to customer service. If you are successful then you are invited to book an assessment in store. You'll receive an email confirming the interview date and time, and will be asked to bring with you an ID, proof of adress and NI number, original documents and copies.

The assessment is usually a group one but in this case I was the only candidate that turned up so it was a one to one interview. The process started with another 25 question general food and beverage knowledge quiz, most of the question had already appeared on the online quiz, some others were new.

Then I had the proper interview, in which the manager from M&S Kitchen (the in store restaurant) was called in. The questions were pretty standard regarding customer service, previous experience, current job, and "why do you think you are the best person for this job" kind of thing. A lady was also there taking note of my answers, and another guy was also there observing. It was pretty fast paced and I was asked about 10-12 questions in total.

After that, there was a role play in which I was given a scenario (working in a deli counter sort of situation and having to advice a customer who needed to organise a lunch for 6 people). I was given a list of pictures with possible food options and prices as well as special deals. I was judged on how well I assessed the customers specific needs and how well I tried to upsell the products and push the available deals and offers.

They went off to consider my written test, interview and role play outcome and came out to tell me I did really well and they'd like to offer me the job, not in the Cafe but in the restaurant where they had more hours. They took my documents and asked for a start date and how much notice I needed to give my current employer. Then they gave me a start date and a 2 week rota with regular hours, saying the contract is to follow.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

We just discussed the hours, and I stated I needed as many as possible, so originally the job advertised offered 20-30 but in the end my contract is for a minimum of 35 hours a week.

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in Doncaster, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Doncaster, England) in June 2016.

Interview

Firstly I had an interview with the manager, worked through questions in a booklet. Importance put on the four I's; Innovation, Inspiration, Integrity and In Touch. You need an example for each of these. Normal questions like; why you want to work there, what experience do you have were also included. I was then taken into a different room where there were two activities to do. The first was a selection of cards were you had to imagine you were in the cafe on a busy saturday, you had to read the scenario and there was a list of options and which on you picked led you onto the next card, for example 'go to card d'. The second activity was explained poorly and I didnt fully understand what you had to do at the time. But you basically had to put in order instruction cards of how to make a; latte, soup and pie and mash, and match other cards to those. (i over complicated it as this seemed too simple and she had previously told me this task was much harder, it wasn't).
    With the first activity remember, upselling, never leave the till and to be polite.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when someone did something you didn't agree with and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Weston-super-Mare, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Weston-super-Mare, England) in September 2015.

Interview

Easy and quick online application with some basic situational questions. Interview included general questions about what I was planning after graduation, competency questions (basic and the recruiters were not sure about why the questions were asked or what a good answer would be, so no pressure there) and a role play. Also a test on food hygiene (storage and serving temperatures, high risk foods). Very nice people, more finding out if you seem professional and able.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?   1 Answer
    • Role play: 'sell a large lunch to takeaway for a meeting'   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Royal Leamington Spa, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Royal Leamington Spa, England) in May 2015.

Interview

Online assessment passed, chose assessment date online.
    Two friendly ladies interviewed me signally, did a role play with was not bad as people anticipate.
    Then a food quiz a little harder than the one online, and if successful through all this an interview with the Line Manager of the department, with all the usually questions, quite relaxed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland) in May 2015.

Interview

Firstly an extensive online screening process, consisting of cafe knowledge questions, personality questions, etc. Once passed this stage, was asked to choose an interview date. At the interview, I was given another cafe knowledge test, typical competency based questions and a role play exercise where I had to advise the 'customer' on a work lunch she was planning and suggest items to serve. I then met the department manager who asked some similar questions. The main interviewer then came in and offered me the job. it was a very involved process but it wasn't too difficult, it was quite enjoyable actually so don't be put off by all the questions.

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2016.

Interview

Interview went really well, he asked standard questions about what a customer expects and my experience. There weren't actually any positions that suited me available but he liked me at interview and so went and fabricated a job that matched the hours I wanted. It went really well and I'm starting in 2 weeks in their espresso café. It doesn't seem to matter what you apply for online as once you're in the interview they do what they can to accommodate you.

Interview Questions

• Can you name a time you witnessed something wrong and reported it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what days I would ideally like to work and they gave me every Saturday which was ideal for me. Usually they only offer a minimum of 16 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Martlesham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Martlesham, England) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and firstly sat the online application and then personality questionnaire, immediately after this I was told I had been successful and was now needed to select a desired interview date and time.
    After getting to the store I was told to wait in the employees lounge area. I was then called into the interview room where two management staff greeted me and explained the first task; this was a logical thinking exercise aimed at assessing how I would approach preparing 3 items in the cafe using cards to detail each step. After completing it I then had to go through the process and explain my thinking to the assessors. After a break in the lounge area I was called back in and there was a questionnaire which I had to fill out detailing what previous experience I have had. Then there was the interview, where one assessor asked the questions and the other wrote down my answers. No difficult questions, the usual questions and mostly ones where you had to recall a previous experience bases of their questions (I think they were along the lines of the four M&S principles). This lasted for about 20-30 minutes and after which I was told to wait in the lounge area again whilst they made their decision.
    I was called back in and told I'd been successful and then there was all the paperwork to go through, availability, right to work in the UK proof etc. I was then free to leave, the whole thing lasted about 2 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Fareham, England

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Fareham, England).

Interview

I applied online and the system let me book the interview right away.

I arrived 10 mins earlier and waited in the office. Everyone was nice and polite. Two guys leaded me to a room and asked for documents mentioned in the email. They started to explain the role play very carefully and give me 10 mins prepared. One of them played as a customer and the other wrote down whatever I reacted and said. The point is you have to ask the customer lots of questions and be helpful. It doesn't matter if you can sell the product. They just wanted to see your attitude at work.

They offered me the job right away and told me I was doing good. They don't wast your time. I like it!

Anonymous Employee in Royal Leamington Spa, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Royal Leamington Spa, England) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a long process,where the interviewer made me feel relaxed and generally being nice. Enjoyed it,the questions were not easy,but they give you time to think which was good.The whole interview took 2 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Rhyl, Wales

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Rhyl, Wales) in October 2016.

Interview

I had to do a role play. It was the one when someone was coming in for food for a party. Didn't get asked any questions. Got told I had the job straight away

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.