Marks & Spencer Cafe Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 Nov 2017

2.5

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland).

Interview

Split up into two parts; the first consisting of a role play where you must assist a customer and then with a manager you are asked about your previous job experience and how you would contribute to the company. Both interviewers were very nice and offered me the role instantly after the interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online for my local M&S store. I got an interview straight away. I attended the interview with a full suit on was fully prepared. A woman gave me a sheet of statements to tick if they applied to me for example have you had experience with using industrial dishwashers before well I'm only 16 and just out of high school so I hadn't had any experience like that and it was my first jobs. The first sheet was all about experience the sheet went a way to get the main interviewer. He was nice and friendly. He then asked me a another set of questions like why M&S for example. I answered them to the best of my ability. I had done all the research before hand on the values of the company and used that knowledge in my answers. After 10 mins of questions then man went. He came back about 5 mins later and I was told I was unsuccessful because of my low experience and my Christmas holidays. I understand the holidays part but not the experience what experience did he expect me to have. I'm only 16 and on the online application it said nothing about having to have some experience . I was willing to learn as much as possible. This process has brought down my general positivity no I do not think M&S is a good place to work if you're young and travel a lot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grays, England

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Grays, England).

Interview

The online interview process was good and gave me an interview straight anyway. I did my interview, it’s just a normal interview and some scenarios at the end. They said I passed the interview and went to find a vaccine. Came back and said there was no vaccines left. Not to mention making me wait 30 mins twice. So I wasted 2 hours of my time.

Interview Questions

• Is it okay to interview someone without knowing there’s no jobs for this person   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Online process was straightforward and got back to you really quickly.
    Interview was laid back and was not too intense. Very friendly.
    No role-play, just a 20-30 minute interview and was told I got the job at the end of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leeds, England) in September 2017.

Interview

One on one interview, going over about ten questions, then doing an allergens test. Afterwards spent about 20 minutes in the cafe for role play which involved interacting with customers.

Customer Assistant - Cafe Interview

Anonymous Employee in Taunton, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Taunton, England) in August 2017.

Interview

There was an online application followed by a situational judgement test, look at their values and base your answers on that.
    The interview was very slick and friendly, greeted by two HR ladies and asked some basic questions about availability and previous skills. Then the manager of the Cafe came in and asked me more competency based questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you experienced great customer service?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Royal Leamington Spa, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Royal Leamington Spa, England) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a long process,where the interviewer made me feel relaxed and generally being nice. Enjoyed it,the questions were not easy,but they give you time to think which was good.The whole interview took 2 hours.

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2016.

Interview

Interview went really well, he asked standard questions about what a customer expects and my experience. There weren't actually any positions that suited me available but he liked me at interview and so went and fabricated a job that matched the hours I wanted. It went really well and I'm starting in 2 weeks in their espresso café. It doesn't seem to matter what you apply for online as once you're in the interview they do what they can to accommodate you.

Interview Questions

• Can you name a time you witnessed something wrong and reported it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what days I would ideally like to work and they gave me every Saturday which was ideal for me. Usually they only offer a minimum of 16 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Rhyl, Wales

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Rhyl, Wales) in October 2016.

Interview

I had to do a role play. It was the one when someone was coming in for food for a party. Didn't get asked any questions. Got told I had the job straight away

Anonymous Employee in Fareham, England

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Fareham, England).

Interview

I applied online and the system let me book the interview right away.

I arrived 10 mins earlier and waited in the office. Everyone was nice and polite. Two guys leaded me to a room and asked for documents mentioned in the email. They started to explain the role play very carefully and give me 10 mins prepared. One of them played as a customer and the other wrote down whatever I reacted and said. The point is you have to ask the customer lots of questions and be helpful. It doesn't matter if you can sell the product. They just wanted to see your attitude at work.

They offered me the job right away and told me I was doing good. They don't wast your time. I like it!

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.