Marks & Spencer Cafe Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 Oct 2017

2.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grays, England

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Grays, England).

Interview

The online interview process was good and gave me an interview straight anyway. I did my interview, it’s just a normal interview and some scenarios at the end. They said I passed the interview and went to find a vaccine. Came back and said there was no vaccines left. Not to mention making me wait 30 mins twice. So I wasted 2 hours of my time.

Interview Questions

• Is it okay to interview someone without knowing there’s no jobs for this person   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Online process was straightforward and got back to you really quickly.
    Interview was laid back and was not too intense. Very friendly.
    No role-play, just a 20-30 minute interview and was told I got the job at the end of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leeds, England) in September 2017.

Interview

One on one interview, going over about ten questions, then doing an allergens test. Afterwards spent about 20 minutes in the cafe for role play which involved interacting with customers.

Customer Assistant - Cafe Interview

Anonymous Employee in Taunton, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Taunton, England) in August 2017.

Interview

There was an online application followed by a situational judgement test, look at their values and base your answers on that.
    The interview was very slick and friendly, greeted by two HR ladies and asked some basic questions about availability and previous skills. Then the manager of the Cafe came in and asked me more competency based questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you experienced great customer service?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Royal Leamington Spa, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Royal Leamington Spa, England) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a long process,where the interviewer made me feel relaxed and generally being nice. Enjoyed it,the questions were not easy,but they give you time to think which was good.The whole interview took 2 hours.

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2016.

Interview

Interview went really well, he asked standard questions about what a customer expects and my experience. There weren't actually any positions that suited me available but he liked me at interview and so went and fabricated a job that matched the hours I wanted. It went really well and I'm starting in 2 weeks in their espresso café. It doesn't seem to matter what you apply for online as once you're in the interview they do what they can to accommodate you.

Interview Questions

• Can you name a time you witnessed something wrong and reported it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what days I would ideally like to work and they gave me every Saturday which was ideal for me. Usually they only offer a minimum of 16 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Rhyl, Wales

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Rhyl, Wales) in October 2016.

Interview

I had to do a role play. It was the one when someone was coming in for food for a party. Didn't get asked any questions. Got told I had the job straight away

Anonymous Employee in Fareham, England

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Fareham, England).

Interview

I applied online and the system let me book the interview right away.

I arrived 10 mins earlier and waited in the office. Everyone was nice and polite. Two guys leaded me to a room and asked for documents mentioned in the email. They started to explain the role play very carefully and give me 10 mins prepared. One of them played as a customer and the other wrote down whatever I reacted and said. The point is you have to ask the customer lots of questions and be helpful. It doesn't matter if you can sell the product. They just wanted to see your attitude at work.

They offered me the job right away and told me I was doing good. They don't wast your time. I like it!

Anonymous Employee in Martlesham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Martlesham, England) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and firstly sat the online application and then personality questionnaire, immediately after this I was told I had been successful and was now needed to select a desired interview date and time.
    After getting to the store I was told to wait in the employees lounge area. I was then called into the interview room where two management staff greeted me and explained the first task; this was a logical thinking exercise aimed at assessing how I would approach preparing 3 items in the cafe using cards to detail each step. After completing it I then had to go through the process and explain my thinking to the assessors. After a break in the lounge area I was called back in and there was a questionnaire which I had to fill out detailing what previous experience I have had. Then there was the interview, where one assessor asked the questions and the other wrote down my answers. No difficult questions, the usual questions and mostly ones where you had to recall a previous experience bases of their questions (I think they were along the lines of the four M&S principles). This lasted for about 20-30 minutes and after which I was told to wait in the lounge area again whilst they made their decision.
    I was called back in and told I'd been successful and then there was all the paperwork to go through, availability, right to work in the UK proof etc. I was then free to leave, the whole thing lasted about 2 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Doncaster, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Doncaster, England) in June 2016.

Interview

Firstly I had an interview with the manager, worked through questions in a booklet. Importance put on the four I's; Innovation, Inspiration, Integrity and In Touch. You need an example for each of these. Normal questions like; why you want to work there, what experience do you have were also included. I was then taken into a different room where there were two activities to do. The first was a selection of cards were you had to imagine you were in the cafe on a busy saturday, you had to read the scenario and there was a list of options and which on you picked led you onto the next card, for example 'go to card d'. The second activity was explained poorly and I didnt fully understand what you had to do at the time. But you basically had to put in order instruction cards of how to make a; latte, soup and pie and mash, and match other cards to those. (i over complicated it as this seemed too simple and she had previously told me this task was much harder, it wasn't).
    With the first activity remember, upselling, never leave the till and to be polite.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when someone did something you didn't agree with and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.