Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Foods Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Foods Interview Questions

2.1

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cardiff, Wales) in September 2016.

Interview

Greeted at information desk by a section co-ordinator after filling in a visitors pass. Was taken to a room where we sat down and she explained what the role play would entail. The section co-ordinator played the role of the customer and I played the role of assistant. I had the food scenario- the customer could not find the products she wanted and some were out of stock. Answer accordingly. Then it was 1-1 with a section manager. Usual why do you want to work for M&S, what does customer service mean to you..

Interview Questions

• Why M&S?
    What does customer service mean to you?
    Can you give me an example of a time you used innovation that produced positive results?
    Can you give me an example of when you were integral?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in Sutton, London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Sutton, London, England) in September 2016.

Interview

No questions other than my name were asked and I was then given a booklet and explained I would have to do a role play of an example of a daily interaction at work. Mine involved a customer asking for food for a party that was not in stock and me explaining our new party range as listed in the booklet with all the other information needed to do well in the role play. Then a manager came in and said hello and then 'I'm going to offer you a job' then you fill out some information forms with bank details etc. And that's all! Easy peazy.

Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Peterborough, England) in August 2016.

Interview

Process starts online with an online assessment which you'll be praised highly for if you pass it because it's not very easy. Then once that's passed you fill in any previous experience and answer some other general questions, then if you are successful you can book an interview.

When I turned up for my interview everyone was so friendly, I was told to wait in the staff room until they were ready for me. When the lady came to collect me she was so lovely and friendly, just shake their hands, smile and be polite and chatty. We sat down and she asked me some very chatty questions about my school and future plans then after talking for about twenty minutes we got to the role play.

I had read up on this but I was fortunate because she was very helpful and gave me 10 minutes to prepare beforehand as well as explaining everything very clearly. All they are really looking for is good eye contact, confidence, politeness and your ability to communicate and suggest other products. In my role play, a customer came in looking for an item that wasn't in stock and you'll notice on the information sheets they give you that there should be another item similar that IS in stock. Once you've suggested that, also say that if the alternative isn't good enough, they can arrange free delivery to store or home delivery,

From there, you are expected to try and up sell as many other products as you can, I decided to focus on the special offer as then I knew I'd get at least 3 more products; with this, think what would be best for the situation and consider the time the customer has, pricing and serving amounts. After you've finished this role play, they'll give you some feedback then go and get the manager of the department you're applying to.

Again, I was very lucky to have such a lovely man that came to interview me for this part, I had previously seen him in the staff room where I waited at the start and made sure to smile and say hello, this is really important as I hadn't know who he was but that clearly paid off. He asked me very few questions as he said they had already spoken about me before he came in. He asked about me school etc again then a few questions about M&S. As I said, he didn't ask many questions but he said there were more in the booklet so still be prepared.

After all this, the original woman came back in and told me I'd passed with flying colours and then we spoke about positions, hours, pay and filled out all the paperwork.

TIPS:
    be confident
    be polite and chatty
    research M&S, passion always pays off
    think about all your hobbies and make sure you have enough to say when they ask you about yourself
    don't mention pay or benefits as a reason for wanting the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Scotland

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Perth, Scotland) in August 2016.

Interview

Passed the on line interview- called in for office interview- sat in canteen as they were running late- which was fair enough- nobody sat with me- which I thought was wrong. Interviewee came in to canteen to get me- she called me someone elses name- then apologised when I told her my name- she said she was so busy and was seeing lots people. She did not introduce herself or shake my hand at all. Went to an office- she explained that role play would be for customer assistant in foods (however my application was just customer services- it didnt say food) The hours I had applied for was early mornings 7.30am to 11.30 am- although there were other vacancies with different shifs- but I applied for early morning one. Anyway role play consisted on lady looking for food items- which 3 were out of stock so I had to go over alternatives. Next, someone else came in to do another interview with me. There were alot of in depth questions. She also asked me to give an example of each Marks and Spencers principles, ie INNOVATE- I had to give example of how I have shown innovation. Next was INTEGRITY- I had to give an example of how I have shown Integrity. The next was INSPIRATION- I had to give an example of how I have inspired people. The next was IN TOUCH- I had to give an example on how I have kept in touch. IN addition to this I was asked numerous question, ie, why I wanted to work in marks and Spencers, What I would like most about working there- what I would dislike most. what I would say was a good customer experinece for a Marks and Spencers customer. Plus may more questions. I was told that the interview would last 45 minutues to an hour. It lasted almost 2 hours. I was the told that I had passed the role play and the interview and at that point paperwork of mine was photo-copied and I was asked what hours I could work. I said the the position I had applied for was from 7.30am to 11.30am, but that i was flexible, but I did like to be home for 4pm for my son getting back from school. I was then asked for sizes of my uniform and then told that induction would be the following Monday and Tuesday. I signed a contract saying the job would commence on 12th September until 5th January and would be 20 hours a week. I was then told that there was still people to see and I would receive a telephone call the next day to confirm if I had been successful. The next day I did recieve a telephone call to say that although I had passed the role play and the interview, there had been 3 people of "HIGHER CALLIBRE" than myself. I was also told that as I had expressed views that I had wanted to be at home for my son at 4pm then they couldnt offer me any other hours. I cannot understand why that comment would be made as the job I had applied for was the early morning hours. I am 53 years old and I recently retired from 34 years as a civil servant which was customer interview based- in addition to this I ran a pub/restaurant with my husband.

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leeds, England) in August 2016.

Interview

1 to 1 role play followed by a 1 to 1 interview about myself, past experiences, skills, what i think the job will entail and whether i have any holidays booked/ or things that may stop be from getting into work

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The only interview slot was for the next day and I took it. One person took me in to a room and had a one on one interview. After that was done, I waited in the room for a while alone and was called in to another room to sign contracts and talk about hours.

Anonymous Employee in Bridgnorth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bridgnorth, England) in June 2015.

Interview

Online situational/personality test, where they want specific answers, so with common sense it is quite a straightforward process. I was then immediately invited for an interview. Here, I was asked some general questions, all really friendly. There was then a role play, you had a short time to prepare with some generic information. Again, it wasn't difficult and the whole process wasn't stressful.

Interview Questions

• Role play - Advise a customer, showing product knowledge and selling skills.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ashbourne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Ashbourne, England) in March 2015.

Interview

Online test of your ability to compromise and prioritise. Not too difficult but spend a bit of time thinking about it, if you have a friend that has done something similar then ask them about it. Apparently a lot of people don't get through the online screening, so just remember that they're looking for diplomacy but also integrity.

Very quickly after the online test you are offered an interview, and I was offered the job on the day.

Interview Questions

• There was a role play of a customer interaction where they hadn't found a product they were looking for. You are given a sheet showing what other options there are available.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bishops Stortford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bishops Stortford, England) in July 2014.

Interview

Online application followed by online situational test and personality test. After the tests it immediately tells you whether you have been selected for an interview. Face-to-face interview involves a role play scenario and then general questions about the role you're applying for and why you want to work for M&S etc

Customer Assistant Foods Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2013.

Interview

Had a questionnaire to fill in before the interview, which tested food-related knowledge.
    Then had a role-play task with one of the staff trainers.
    Lastly, on passing the two tasks - had a one-to-one interview with the section manager.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember the questions asked, but there were one or two related to experience and food knowledge, it was not a stressful interview.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.