Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 19 Jul 2018

2.6

280 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Customer Assistance Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in May 2017.

Interview

Was left for about 10 minutes with sheets of information about products within the store also left blank pages to write on then someone came back in and ask me questions as a customer After a 5 min break the interview took place was ask about the values of Marks and Spencer the interview was very formal

Customer Assistant Interview

Interview

Filled in a straightforward online application. Visited a local store where a very nice lady asked me a few questions about details of my application, nothing strenuous, just "tell me a bit more about this" sort of stuff.

She then did a role play which involved giving me a few minutes to look over some details of a shop I was supposed to be working in, and a specific product. She then played a customer who was interested in the product, and I had to sell it to her.

After that she made a job offer on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, there was nothing unexpected. Even the role play was easy; she was a very obliging customer.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Online questionnaire, interview and role-play

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in September 2012.

Interview

First of all there was a series of on-line role plays to discover whether or not you are suitable for the job applied for. If suitable, then you will be congratulated and invited to an interview in store. This interview consisted for a role play in which a member of staff pretends to be a customer with a certain need. You have 10 minutes to prepare, by making notes and revising the provided material the will be useful to the role play. Then a store manger will finish off the interview process by a brief interview, consisting of simple questions, which are asked in quite an informal style.

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland) in October 2010.

Interview

It's basically a role playing exercise with the interviewer being the customer and you being the customer assistant. Beforehand, hey give you a problem written down and they give you separate bits of information for you to work out the solution to the problem in ten minutes. It's pretty easy as I passed it twice without really thinking too hard. You pretty much just connect all the obvious dots that's laid out before you.

Interview Questions

• Not really any difficult questions, just normal questions about yourself and work ethic.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

completed the online assessment of multiple choice question then went for the one on one interview. My roleplay topic was the missing cake, you are presented with special offers in the booklet with which to shows your knowledge of add on sales and giving details of other stores ( hint use both of those details). Read the booklet very closely to pick out the main details. Very friendly and easy going interviewee then had a short talk with a manager who asked the normal interview questions, why m&s? what service would you expect if you walked into m&s to buy something today etc etc.

Interview Questions

• Having to assess yourself on your performance which they then ask you to explain to them after.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Choice of available vacancies no negotiation needed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackney, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Hackney, England) in October 2009.

Interview

applied online, answered some questons (multiple choice), then an interview that was based on a role play. I was early for the interview and was a bit nervous at acting a part. the interview process was easy but I found it odd that i wasn't asked anything about myself or my abilities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bishops Stortford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bishops Stortford, England) in September 2009.

Interview

This was the most BIZZARRE interview i have ever had!!!!! I was interviewed by 2 women. what their positions where within the store i have no idea. The "assesment" involved "role play" and previously to that you have to do an online application which involved multiple choice questions on working scenario's which took about 40 mins to complete.

Firstly i called the store the day previously to ask about hours as i didnt want to turn up at the store and the hours be unsuitable thus wasting each others time. I was informed there where 12, 16 and 23 hr contracts available, which suited me, so i went ahead and attended the interview.

On the day of the interview i turned up 5 minutes before my interview. I was lead into the staff canteen area where i was left for nealy 50 minutes waiting. When the lady finally came to get me she lead into the training room and was shortly joined by the other.

She asked me what hours i was looking for and i said 12 or 16 as i knew from the phonecall i made that there where some available and being a mum too, couldnt really do anymore. What really disapointed me was that i only had a choice of either 9.75 hrs or 23.5 hrs which didnt suit me and i also learned that they where only temporary contracts!!! If id of known that i wouldnt of bothered. I was already employed 16hrs a week, and was not about to hand my notice in from a job ive done for 6 yrs for a temporary one!!! So as you can imagine i wasnt best pleased, i very nearly told them not to continue with the rest of the interview, but because id been waiting so long i thought i might as well just go through with it and didnt want to look arrogant.

They did not speak to me in any other context apart from the hours. They handed me laminated copies of instructions for the role play, read the 1st few paragraphs for me which indicated id have 10 mins to read and prepare for the role play. They then both got up from their seats without saying a word and left, supposidly for 10 mins but it was more like 4 mins. When they returned i was STILL reading the 8 page information. They entered the room in "character mode" and the role play begun, the whole experience was weird, youre not allowed to ask any other questions or anything, all u have is ur laminated copies. I did really bad. This was the 1st interview id had in 6yrs and i was a little nervous, i was worried about looking silly and im not comfortable with "acting" infront of people.

When the role play finished they handed me a sheet of paper with 3 boxes in for you to fill in your thoughts, they then left me again to fill it in and yet again, left the room without saying a word to me. One of the ladies came to collect the sheet 5 mins later and dissapeared again for about 15 mins and again, without speaking. WEIRD!

They both then returned and said " just to let you know that you have not passed" I sat there for a second and thought well i know i was nervous etc... but you are kidding me?!!! this surely cant be the interview??? they didnt ask me anything about myself, anything about my experiences, qualifications and they didnt even ask for the form they emailed me to fill in for the interview. So that was that, interview over! I have worked in retail and retail managment for 14 years and ive NEVER had such a SILLY interview in my whole life!!!

They based the whole thing on that 3 mins of role play and nothing about your personality and experience and ability to adapt and learn, i mean, where not robots and do have our own minds! I expressed my disapointment about the interview to the ladies when they just shrugged and said "well thats how we do it im afraid" I wasnt going to take the job anyway but im so discusted on how the inerview was conducted and how i felt when i came out, i just had to write this.

Marks and Spencer really need to review their interviewing techniques and perhaps train the staff again. if they was not so regimental maybe they could releive some of the candidates nerves resulting in a more positive interview BIG THUMBS DOWN FOR THIS ONE!!

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leeds, England) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview basically consists of role play whereby you would be put in a tacky situation where the customer is furious on you as may be they ordered something which hasn't arrive and you dont have any managerial guidance. How would you tackle the situation.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.