Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 Dec 2017

2.6

248 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Norwich, England).

Interview

After going through the online assessment process, I was able to book an interview for the next week.
    I went to the information desk and was greeted by an assistant manager who chatted and took me to the interview room. I was told about the role play activity, and was given about 5 pages of food to look at for the role play. The assessor left the room for 5 minutes, and when she re-entered it began. She asked for a product which was out of stock, and it was my duty to go through any options of phoning other stores, or suggesting alternatives. The role play goes on for about 10 minutes and the assessor is just looking for your customer service skills, and your ability to persuade and sell products. (My advice for this is to just go for it and be confident even if you're not - because realistically if you don't get the job you're never going to see this person again.)
    After this, the assessor left the room to write up her notes, and when she returned she was with the manager. She then asked questions which I have listed below, in a very friendly and nice manner. The interview was very relaxed, and both people made me feel comfortable.
    I was offered the job there and then, and was left to discuss uniform and shift pattern with the assistant manager.
    I have my induction in a couple of weeks!

Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Wakefield, England).

Interview

Online assessment takes about 40 mins, then asked to come for face to face interview, role play for 20 mins then another with interview with manager .Very friendly and helpful, told a basic outline of what the job entails, didn't ask anything about previous employment ?? which i found unusual, after both interviews was asked how flexible working hours can i do . brush up on your knowledge of M&S values and the 4is this is key, smile and show how helpful you can be , role play is ok but you need to read the notes throughly you only get 5 mins and its difficult to choose which you should priority

Interview Questions

• What inspires you and think of a time when you inspired someone   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cardiff, Wales).

Interview

Applied online, passed the initial tests so I was asked to book a time for an interview at the store I was applying to - Culverhouse Cross in Cardiff.

Firstly at the interview I had to do a role play, I'd read up about it on here beforehand and was a bit nervous but it was actually really straight forward and not hard. It involved dealing with a customer who wanted to buy school uniform for her children but everything she needed was out of stock. I apologised about the inconvenience then explained I could order it in for her from another local M&S or she could get it delivered home. Asked if she wanted help with anything else while she was instore etc.

Then was told I'd have a 1-to-1 interview with a manager, she came in and offered me a job straight away...didn't have any proper questions.

Unfortunately they weren't able to offer me the number of hours I wanted so had to turn it down which is a shame because everyone in the store was really welcoming and friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Andrews, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Andrews, Scotland).

Interview

Completed online assessment and was given an interview slot 3 days later. Role play exercise involved this fake store called ''Farmington Thornes'' or something and the interviewer is a customer who was looking for some red pepper and parma ham however its out of stock. You have 5 minutes to prepare yourself. You just have to handle the situation and suggest other alternatives, promote store offers etc etc. Many people on this website have described exactly what im talking about in much greater detail. The role play exercise is the same in nearly every store depending on the department you're in. I had a food role play because i applied to an M&S Simply Food. Afyer role play the assessor will go out and review how you did for a few minutes. They will then tell you there and then if you failed or not. If successful you'll go onto the face to face interview stage. I was asked questions on the ''4 i's''. That was fairly simply. Once i was told i had the job i looked over my shift and pay etc. I was made to feel very comfortable and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• When has there been a time you were innovative?
      When has there been a time it has been important to be in touch?
      When have you inspired someone?
      When has there been a time you've shown integrity?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Interview

Really easy. Referred by friend and it was just a few simple questions about me and my experiences. Some stores seem to do it more in depth, but it was pretty simple.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I did an online assessment which was fairly easy, straight forward questions. The interview was a role play where I had to pretend I was a customer assistant and one of the interviewers was a customer. They have you lots of information to work with but apparently I didn’t ask the ‘customer’ enough questions, so make sure to always ask lots of questions .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland) in November 2017.

Interview

I completed an online application and was invited for an interview the following week. I was greeted by a member of staff who took me into a room and said the manager would interview me shortly. I waited around 20 minutes for the manager and he looked at me and sighed before even saying hello. He then asked me to give examples of the 4 i's, I used experiences from my old job and school, he didnt seem happy with any of these answers and made a few cheeky comments. When he asked about my previous job as a sports coach he informed me that this wasn't infact a real job. He was completely rude and unproffesional.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was offered an interview. On the day I was greeted by the manager. The first stage was a one to one interview with not to difficult questions I passed this and the next stage was a role play with the assistant manager while the manger was taking notes. I also passed this. I then had to fill out a availability form and the size of my uni form I was then told I will get a phone call or email on Thursday to say if I have the job or not.

Do not worry the M&S staff are brill and make you feel like you already work for them.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Birmingham, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied for my interview online and had to go through some online tests to get through to the face to face interview stage. I got to my interview and was shown to the staff room upstairs where I had to wait for about 10 minutes for the manager. They then took me to the interview room where they explained that there would be 2 parts to the inverview. The first was the role play. They gave me a few sheets of paper with some information to do with the role play on them and left me alone for 5 minutes to make notes. The interviewer came back in and the role play started straight away. They played a customer who wanted some Parma ham and red peppers but we didn't have them in stock so I had to offer alternatives and promotions and stuff. After it was over they gave me a sheet of paper where I had to write what went well and what could have gone better. I wrote that I should have asked the customer more questions. The interviewer came back and explained that I had passed but only because I recognised that I should have asked more questions. Then it was the actual interview. They first asked some personal questions (work experience, etc) and then some questions about the 4 i's which I will list below. After that, the manager left the room to add up my scores and then came back and told me I'd been successful. They explained my hours, pay and that I would first need an induction. Overall, a stressful but good experience.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.