Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 Oct 2017

2.6

224 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Norwich, England).

Interview

After going through the online assessment process, I was able to book an interview for the next week.
    I went to the information desk and was greeted by an assistant manager who chatted and took me to the interview room. I was told about the role play activity, and was given about 5 pages of food to look at for the role play. The assessor left the room for 5 minutes, and when she re-entered it began. She asked for a product which was out of stock, and it was my duty to go through any options of phoning other stores, or suggesting alternatives. The role play goes on for about 10 minutes and the assessor is just looking for your customer service skills, and your ability to persuade and sell products. (My advice for this is to just go for it and be confident even if you're not - because realistically if you don't get the job you're never going to see this person again.)
    After this, the assessor left the room to write up her notes, and when she returned she was with the manager. She then asked questions which I have listed below, in a very friendly and nice manner. The interview was very relaxed, and both people made me feel comfortable.
    I was offered the job there and then, and was left to discuss uniform and shift pattern with the assistant manager.
    I have my induction in a couple of weeks!

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Very easy process. Online application took a while and involved a personality gauge and then a screening test. Once passed I was asked to book a face to face assessment and interview (for the same day).
    Once I arrived I booked in at the customer service and was immediately taken by a member of staff to the assessment room. The assessment consisted of a role play where the member of staff is a customer looking for an item that isn't in stock and you are the assistant trying to help them. You are given a note pad and a brief of the situation and are given five minutes to memorise and determine what notes to write. It's easy. My first piece of advice is to ask exactly what the customer wants for example, size, colour and when they need it for before you 'go to check the stock room'. Then explain the item is out of stock politely and offer an alternative. Once an alternative was agreed I then made sure to talk about the sales that were on offer (given in the sheets of paper with the brief).
    So, remember to stand up, remember to smile, stand up straight, ask the customer what exactly they want, explain politely it isn't in stock, offer an alternative and mention sales!
    The second part consisted of an interview with a manager, where they will ask you basic interview questions as well as questions that revolve around their four Is code (look this up before the interview).
    Overall, despite making a few mistakes (my advice here comes from failure to do some of these), I enjoyed the experience and got an offer! Staff were very good, if you're nervous just relax, at the end of the day you'll never see these people of you don't get the offer so have fun!
    I will also add I have no experience in retail, so don't worry if you don't have any.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to apply to m and s?   1 Answer
    • What is customer service?   1 Answer
    • When did you inspire someone?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland).

Interview

Online scenario based questions to make sure you have a grasp of customer service. Then interview with a bit of role play. Essentially in the role play make sure you are being polite and doing your best to help the 'customer'.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?
      They will also probably ask if you're flexible, say yes and you can work around it when you start.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cannock, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cannock, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Did an hour long interview online, passed and picked an interview date. Went today for the interview, and I don't think I've felt more uncomfortable in my life, they tell you to relax but if you relax then you're not getting the job. From what I have seen today this doesn't look like the best place to work if you're wanting a retail job. Staff was cold, smiled in your face but you could just tell they were fake. No-one under 30, which I think is ageist. They act like they want a diversity of people, but really they just want someone with 10 years of experience and seemed like they cannot be bothered to train any young worker. So glad I didn't get through the role play as this seems like a horrible place to work. Really would not recommend to anyone. RUN!!

Interview Questions

• Role play about a woman whose mom has cancer and she's getting tea ready for her tonight.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

I went to the Marks and Spencer store for the interview. The interview process began with a role play. I was asked to take on the role of a Customer Assistant in an imaginary retail store and interact with the interviewer who would play the role of a customer.

I was given a few cards to read which had information on them pertaining to the situation given (description of the situation , stock information, on-going promotions, delivery options) . You are given 5 minutes to read the cards and take any notes after which the interviewer comes in as the "customer" along with a silent observer who takes notes while you interact with the "customer". I was given a situation where a customer was looking for a particular suit jacket that she had seen before in the store, which is currently out of stock. You are meant to approach the customer, ask if she needs help, help her find an alternative suit ( the customer was in a rush, as she needed the suit for an interview the next day). Make sure you save time by reading the stock information carefully. You should consider suggesting another color in the same style that she originally liked (I wasted time suggesting other styles when there was the same style in another colour). The lady who interviewed me was very encouraging put me at ease throughout the process. Make sure to be as natural as possible. Smile and greet the customer, listen carefully to what she/he wants (size, style etc) and mention in-store promotions in order to sell more products.

After the role play, you are asked to fill in a short feedback form to assess how you felt the role play went ( where you think you have fared well, where you could have improved). When the interviewer returned, she went over times and schedules with me to help me find a suitable time slot. Unfortunately, none of the times offered were suitable for my needs so I had to decline. If a suitable schedule was agreed upon, the next steps would have been a short interview with the manager.

Overall it was a highly organized, efficient and comfortable process. the lady who interviewed be was a gem of a person and she was really encouraging throughout.

Please note that you must bring in your passport to begin the interview process. The interviewer will confirm that you have all the required documentation (including originals) before the interview begins, so please make sure to bring them in.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online. A roleplay with an assessor. I was given 5 minutes to prepare product knowledge. Had to upsell and offer alternative products and deal with the original request being out of stock. This lasted about 10 minutes. The questions were dealt with quite well already on this site.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2017.

Interview

Completed the online questionnaires and got offered an interview straight after. Only one interview slot left so you have to be quite quick with this process. There were three ladies in the interview, one of them was assessing the interviewer. All of them were really lovely and made me feel extremely relaxed. We did the role play first. They gave me ten minutes alone to look over the information, they give you everything you need to know and the lady even put it in order of importance. You have to start the role play as soon as the 'customer' walks in the room. So stand up and greet them. In this role play the customer wanted a red pepper and some parma ham but both were out of stock. Everything i needed to offer was on the information they gave me and i could use it while interacting with the customer. I was then interviewed by the department manager which was the standard questions. Check out the 4 i's as the questions are based off of these.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and had to do an online assessment. Pretty simple. Then I had to pick an interview slot. The interview was pretty straightforward, a role play exercise and some few questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Chelmsford, England) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied in July 2017, had an interview in August, the whole process took about 3 weeks. The online process was quite long but easy, and if you pass you get to choose an interview date straight after - be quick because these dates go very fast.
    The role play was actually a lot better than I thought, it was very relaxed, you just need to throw yourself into it and be confident, really get into the role. You are given all possible information and can look back at it if you want. I then passed this - eye contact is key, as well as upselling extra items like napkins - and could then do the interview. A tip is that if the customer is in a rush don't offer to order online for them. The interview felt very relaxed and casual - I think if you do really well on the role play they go a bit easier on you in the interview questions. Read up on the 4 i's and have an example for each - they do give a description of what each 'i' is if you cant remember. I was told I'd hear by the end of next week, but 2 days later I had a phone call to say I got the job. Unfortunately the job was posted as 'temporary' but didn't say how long for, and it was for a longer period of time than I could do and so I couldn't accept- this was really dissapointing as I actually enjoyed the interview and everyone seemed very friendly, seemed like a really nice place to work. I later received an email saying they would hold my application for 6 months which is positive, and a nice thing of them to do.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use an iPad?   1 Answer
    • What do you think a customer expects of a customer assistant?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you saw something that wasn't right and had to step in (integrity)   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you inspired someone   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you showed in touch qualities   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had an innovative idea   Answer Question
    • How did you get here today?   1 Answer
    • Which department do you think you would be best motivated to work in?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.