Marks & Spencer Customer Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 May 2017

2.5

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bracknell, England

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bracknell, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially you have to spend some time on the website, the first thing is a "most likely" & "least likely" type questionnaire, where you have to use 5 points per page to high light what one is most like you & which is least. You then have a series of scenario videos &, after each one, have to select the option which would best describe what you would do in that situation. The basically try to help you decide whether or not you would be suitable to work for M&S &, once completed, you get invited to an initial assessment day.
Firstly you have to take part in a role play. It's quite straight forward, you're given 5 minute to read through a brief description of the company you're "working" for, to look at some prop cards & to jot down some notes. After that, someone comes in to assess you & another person comes in, straight in character. You basically just have to tend to the "customer" - you're allowed to use the prop cards to assist you with it. All I had to do was approach the customer, ask if she could do with any help, suggest what item of clothing she should go for (the one she originally wanted wasn't available in her size), up sell another item of clothing which was on offer & then try to finish off the outfit by showing her some shoes. The customer has specific requirements though, so make sure you listen to them in order to make the right suggestions for their needs.
Once that's done you get taken into another room by someone else & are asked a series of questions. Make sure you look up the 4 I's (Inspiration, Innovation, Intouch & Integrity) as they'll ask you to give examples of when you've shown all of those - preferably in a work environment! Then it's just basic questions about experience etc. Unfortunately they don't actually check your CV, so if you lack retail experience, they won't offer you a job, but will still interview... Whole process took around 1 hour.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in February 2017.

Interview

it was a group interview . we been 5 people in a group. we did ask to demonstrate some group task. example pass the product knowledge among the group member. And do some customer care job exp. explain the best way to the customer about the product and services credit policy, refund policy etc.

Interview Questions

• If a customer gets upset about your store service what u will do ??   1 Answer

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Online questions then a role play and interview. The questions online were fairly standard. The role play was easy, I had to help a customer who needed certain items but we were out of stock.

Interview Questions

• General questions. Asked about the 4 I's in the core values.   1 Answer

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in December 2016.

Interview

Role play as customer assistant. They give you 5 minutes to read through a short booklet which provides you with the relevant information to perform the role play. Had to give customer alternative options when the item they wanted was not in stock.

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Sheffield, England) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Was fairly straight forward and within the hour I had completed the assessment and booked an interview.

Arrived and was all a bit confusing re signing in and finding the interviewer. Interview was conducted by a lady reading off of a template sheet of paper with questions and boxes to write my answer in.

She said I got the job there and then.

Then handed over all the info they needed BUT they did not accept drivers license as a form of ADDRESS ID. Got extremely lucky as my bank is next door so popped in and got proof of address.

Start my first induction tomorrow and second induction the day after. Very very very nervous. Only 17 but anyway. Yeah, interview was fairly straight forward but still nerve racking.

Shop looked absolutely f***** rammed so god knows how I'm going to cope on my first day when I know nothing. So scared and nervous.

Interview Questions

• When did you receive poor customer service and what would I do differently   1 Answer
    • How did you deal with an angered customer   1 Answer
    • What makes you want to work here   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't know what this means but we talked about my hours, was all confusing but just said yes to everything really. Sh**** myself

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cambridge, East of England, England) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for the job online. I had to undergo a test about different scenarios on customer service/sales.
    After passing the test booked an interview. Different slots are available. U just have to choose accordingly.
    I went for the interview and the first part of the interview was general questions about why you want to work for the company and your experiences and about yourself.

2nd part of interview case was a role play where the interviewer came up as a customer and i was the customer sales assistant.
    All went well.

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2016.

Interview

I initially applied online, which was quite a lengthy process, but it was quite straightforward. I immediately received an email to book myself in for an assessment and interview. The e-mail informed me that a short role play would be part of the assessment, followed by the interview itself. However during my actual interview, there was not enough time to conduct the role play as another interviewee and myself had been double booked on the system. The manager did mention this was usual procedure, so I would recommend that anyone applying should have a little practice and go in prepared to role play just in case!! When I arrived for my interview the manager was very approachable and friendly! This was great as I immediately felt at ease. There were plenty of questions! But they were all fairly straightforward and the majority were regarding my background, flexibility, availability, experience and ease of travelling to the store. I will include any questions I can remember below! Generally, it was a fairly relaxed interview and felt more of a casual chat than the usual interrogation you get at other interviews! I was immediately offered the job, based on my confidence, attitude to work, enthusiasm and approach to customer service. We filled in the paperwork and I'm now waiting for a call back to confirm my first day. All in all, they are looking for a confident and motivated individual, willing to work in a team and who show lots of enthusiasm! So smile a lot, maintain eye contact and be as confident and as friendly as you can! Also ensure you do some research on the company and try to include the history of the company in some of your answers! The manager was impressed by my knowledge of the company's history and said it was shocking how many people applied for the position and didn't know anything about the retailer. That will be a huge plus!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?   Answer Question
    • What relevant experience do you have, and how will this help you in this role?   Answer Question
    • What do you think this role (customer sales assistant) would entail?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to work with others to reach an agreement.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you noticed someone being dishonest (doing something inappropriate) at work and how you dealt with this.   Answer Question
    • What do you think a customer expects excellent customer service to consist of?   Answer Question
    • Explain your previous experience with customer service and selling.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you effectively communicated with a customer and how you met their needs.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you suggested a new idea/practice and the outcome of this.   Answer Question
    • Do you understand that this job will require you to be flexible? If yes, why do you think you would need to be flexible in this role?   Answer Question
    • How do you plan on travelling to work?   Answer Question
    • What do you think makes excellent customer service?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you received unsatisfactory customer service. What aspects were bad?   Answer Question
    • Which aspect of the job would you find most enjoyable and why? Which aspect would you find least enjoyable and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to choose from three templates which shift patterns I would prefer to work, I found this very useful as it gave me a flexible choice! I also informed them of a pre-booked holiday, which they were fine with and booked off for me immediately.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London Colney, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London Colney, England) in October 2016.

Interview

I was led into a back office by the HR representative, and then given 5 pages of information to prepare for a role play by myself. About 5 minutes later a store worker entered the room and role play began.The scenario followed that a women came into the store to buy a blazer, and you had to offer to call other stores to check the item's availability so that she could pick it up or order the item to be delivered the very next day to your store. However, the women couldn't drive and didn't own a computer, so eventually the hypothetical item had to be ordered in the next day to that store. Remember to ask which colour and size the customer wants. I believe you are supposed to ask the customer what the blazer is for to up-sell other promotional items that might complement a blazer, and immediately ask how the customer is and whether they require assistance to build a rapport quickly

Anonymous Employee in Llanelli, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Llanelli, Wales) in October 2016.

Interview

Apply online which involves multiple choice questions, psychometric testing where you rate statements from 'very true' to 'not true', as well as a basic form to fill out with previous experience and education.

From there it takes around a week for a reply, where I was asked to visit the store I applied to for a 1:1 interview, which involved some basic questions as well as a role play exercise to see how I would handle a real life situation in the role

Interview Questions

• What do you think would make a good sales assistant for M&S?
      Why do you want to work for M&S?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I originally applied for a role in another store, however due to the poor IT system it meant that by the time my application was finally submitted that role had gone. Therefore, there was little negotiation about location of work. In terms of hours, due to the nature of the role (temporary seasonal staff) there was little flexibility in the contract and the days and hours I was given, which is to be expected in retail, especially temp staff.

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Sheffield, England) in September 2016.

Interview

First I had to complete an online self assessment quiz to see if I was suited to work at M&S, after passing this you book yourself onto an assessment and interview slot in-store. Upon arriving at M&S I was directed to the staff cafe area, then taken into an interview room with a manager for an informal chat where I was asked many questions. Then after I went to the shop floor to see if I could assist a "customer" make sure to up sell and ask lots of questions, after this I went back to the interview room and was told I was perfect for the role.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The hours you apply for on M&S website are not the actual hours you will be working it's is all down to your availability.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.