Marks & Spencer Customer Service Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Customer Service Assistant Interview Questions

Updated 14 Sep 2018

2.6

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (New York, NY (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Interview involved questions about my background education and customer service experience. I was then asked to do a role play exercise where I was the shop assistant and the interviewer was the customer. Bit embarrassing but not too difficult.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Aberdeen, Scotland) in November 2016.

Interview

Went in and was taken to the interview room. first part was the role play where I was given information on food. Given 5-10 mins to look at the info and the interviewer came back in as the customer and I had to sell the products to a "customer".
    I was then passed onto another guy where he went over a series of questions.
    Finally was offered the job and ask which department I wanted to go to. (the times and days that are on the online job application does not mean those are the times you are given).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitstable, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Whitstable, England) in October 2016.

Interview

The online application is very easy, quickly got an interview but the interview is useless as they don't care about autism. Customer Service means customer support not sales. The whole roleplay was about sales. After I failed the roleplay, I had an autistic attack and she didn't care just got jobcentre involved. Bad management and rubbish at their jobs.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England).

Interview

The main flagship branch usually you submit an application online within a few working days you get a phone call for an interview. They will tell you the necessary paperwork to bring. You have a role play which I would suggest stick to the information given to you. Your allowed a few minutes to work out what to say and so forth ... And then you are given actual interview question which are pretty basic.

Interview Questions

• Why work for m&s ?
      Your method of transportation in order to get to the store ?
      What you can contribute ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Birmingham, England) in August 2016.

Interview

Had to complete an online personality quiz and also a scenario test, received an invite for an interview instantly via email two weeks away from the completion of the tests. Interview consisted of three stages; first a role-play, then I was taken down to the shop store to approach customers and then the last stage was a 'traditional' interview. Each task was conducted by a different member of staff, interviewed with three in total. They were all great women, felt quite at ease even though I was quite nervous and a babbling a bit. For the role play I was to assume the role of a customer service assistant at a store (not M&S), a customer was after a specific shirt but unfortunately we had nothing suitable in stock so it was my job to source one from elsewhere (all information about store delivery and stuff isn't included so you can pretend here and use some artistic license, also throw yourself in the role-play, pretend to be on the phone to the other store, use your props). I have five minutes to prepare before hand and was given around six or seven A4 laminated cards with images of stock and quantities, closest other branches, order forms, any offers that are on etc (Make sure to up sell! Also you can use the cards as reference points and visual aids for the 'customer' during the role play) I was then taken down to the shop floor (this is apparently a new section to the interview process) where I had to approach customers and ask them in they needed help. Don't worry, your interviewer will be with you and you're not expected to actually help the customer (the staff member will step in at that point), it's just to make sure you have the confidence to approach and talk to a stranger. After that we went back upstairs and a line manager was called in to give me a traditional style interview (see questions below). The managers then left the room and deliberated with the other two interviewers for around five mins, then came back in and informed me I had the job! They informed me of which department they'd like me on (I come from a creative background so they gave me a role which will allow me to express this), gave me an option of rotas and then had my details, told me about the next steps etc. I start in a few days although the interview was over a week ago so from the interview date I started in two weeks. All in all a pleasant experience, atleast as far as interviews go!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Sheffield, England) in August 2016.

Interview

I turned up at the Meadowhall branch and they sat me in the staff cafe for around 20 minutes, I was sat there by myself feeling rather intimidated. I went for the interview which was fine, but the women didn't really smile much or make you feel welcome. It was like she just wanted to get the job done.
    Then after this I had to do a role play on the shop floor which was horrendous. They told me I would be serving actual customers when it was obviously an actor. She was shouting really loud and everyone was looking at me. I then had 2 other people who worked for m and s following me around the shop helping this 'actor' find clothes.
    The whole process was intimidating, made to feel silly especially in the role play. Then the Lady sat me down at the end of all this and told me I hadn't got the job based on the role play which was such an unrealistic situation. Then went on to say and i quote that 'I had no personality'. The interview was fine, the role play was unrealistic and silly.

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Belfast, Northern Ireland) in June 2016.

Interview

Simple role play to test personality and advising customers.
    The questions were more than I expected for the post. The interviewer had a list of questions and took notes as I answered.
    I was able to answer them based on my previous job experience but for someone with no previous employment it could be difficult.
    Be confident and if you dont understand the question do ask what do you mean.

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bristol, England) in August 2016.

Interview

After three initial "multiple-guess" quizzes online (including an amusing animated one) I went in for an interview, which started with a ten minute role-play. This was less awkward than I expected, and I think the assessor was more nervous than me. You just had to look at stock sheets and suggest alternatives to an item that was out of stock/ upsell items to go with it. There was actually no formal interview questions as I had expected there to be, but this could have been as they spent a long time searching for a position with no hours on a sunday. I ended up being made a "Store Host", a slightly different position to the one I was expecting to come out with, so the only questions they really asked were about how confident I would be talking to customers.

Interview Questions

• How confident are you talking to strangers?
      How enthusiastic and outgoing are you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leicester, England) in August 2016.

Interview

After successfully completing the straightforward online questionnaires, i was able to book an interview right away. Few days later, had the interview which involved role play about school uniforms. Second part of interview was standard questions and questions about the 4 I's. Was told if successful straight after. Was invited to a two-day induction a week later.

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Reading, England) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for the customer service assistant role and passed the online screen test. Later I got a email to book my interview 19th August.

The interview process was really good you have to do a role play where you act as the assistant and interviewer acts as the customers, you just have show confidence and later I was told that I passed the role play and then I had to a interview with the line manager who also told that I got the job. I really can't wait to work in M&S

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.