Marks & Spencer Customer Service Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Customer Service Assistant Interview Questions

Updated 30 Aug 2017

2.5

43 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (New York, NY (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Interview involved questions about my background education and customer service experience. I was then asked to do a role play exercise where I was the shop assistant and the interviewer was the customer. Bit embarrassing but not too difficult.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2017.

Interview

Simple

On line introductory process, combining personality test and situational multiple choice. Have to book an interview slot once confirmed has passed. Need to act quickly as only limited number of slots. Interview the following day which consisted of a role play and a formal interview.

Interview Questions

• All the questions I was asked are covered really well on this site - based around M and S 4 I's. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cambridge, East of England, England) in June 2017.

Interview

Leading to the interview there was an online senario test that required a lot of time. I passed this and was offered an interview the following week.
    On arrival I was greeted by a member of staff who showed me where to go and was fairly friendly. The interview consisted of a role play where an item was out of stock and how you as an assistant would deal with that. After that I was told I had completed that part of the assessment and the manager would be coming to interview me further. I had to wait a while in a room for him to arrive. This interview took around 15 minutes asking many of the questions others had previously discussed.
    The previous interview came back in and told me I was successful and had passed the interview. I filled out a uniform sheet and an availability sheet and was told that they would be in contact again within the week.
    However 4 days later I received a call from the interviewer and was told that even though I was successful and they would love to have me in the store there wasn't any vacancies for me!! I would be kept on the record for 6 months if any positions did arise. Very confused as to why I was told I was successful and filled out a uniform request or why they even ran interviews when there were no jobs to be had?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bolton, England) in June 2017.

Interview

I had an interview at 9am I got there as early as 8am went to the store keeping in mind it was raining heavily the store was closed but the stock management were having a meeting they saw me outside in the rain and just ignored me until someone was nice enough to tell me to come back later. I chilled around for a while till my interview time. I went to the desk and a lady signed me in, took me to a room and came in few minutes later with another lady. The first interview was a role play about a woman looking an out of stock shirt for her father's birthday I offered her so many things but she refused I was later able to convince her to buy another one that was online. Do not forget to ask for her details to post the item and the budget ask her loads of questions like what are you doing for your dad's birthday e.t.c

Anonymous Employee in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Ashford, Kent, South East England, England) in June 2017.

Interview

Have to apply online and complete a general performance test (based on situations you might encounter, what will you do? etc.) You will quickly find out whether or not you have gotten an interview (I got an email within an hour) based upon how you did in the test. In the email you are asked to book your interview appointment. In the interview there is a role play, basically you have to look at a booklet of products and sales etc for 10mins (or so) then pretend the interviewer is a customer and sell them products. You need to up sell and and introduce the offers etc, basically get the customer to buy everything. After the role play you are then asked questions based on the core principles of the business... Inspire, Innovate, Influence and Integrity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Northampton, England) in April 2017.

Interview

Starts with assessment online if you pass that you go onto further scenarios online
    Once you get past this stage you get invited for an interview which includes role play then questions from the manager( mine had no clue, didnt even ask if there was anything i wanted to ask or anything about hours needed)

But what they don't tell you that more often than not the job as already gone by earlier interviewers and that you cant reapply within the company for another 6 months

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England).

Interview

During the online application, before actually applying, you are taken through questions about teamwork and customer service. The face-to-face will include basic interview questions as will as a role play.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you've had to made a difficult decision?   Answer Question
    • During the role play, you act as an advisor helping a customer solve a situation.
      This could range from finding a product that the store doesn't have or helping them plan a party.
      (The role plays change regularly)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burnley, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Burnley, England) in March 2017.

Interview

I'd previously completed all the online procedures and been invited to an interview in Leeds, where I passed the role play - information from Glass Door reviews was very helpful preparation for this. I was then put on hold for a suitable vacancy and did not progress to a management interview at that time. I was told that I would not have to repeat the online or role play stages again as I was 'in the system'. Whilst I was waiting for this suitable vacancy, I saw a vacancy in another store and for the hours I most wanted. I needed to contact HRSS about it but they were able to attach my profile to this new vacancy and book me in for an interview. I did not have to repeat a role play and progressed straight to a management interview. I was the first of 4 people to interview and was told they would call me the next day. I was contacted the next morning and offered the job.

I'm an older candidate who hadn't been in paid work for a few years although had done voluntary work continuously since finishing paid work. This is the first time I have found that a Diversity Policy actually does what it says on the tin - they assessed me in the same way they assessed everyone else and then took me as they found me without any prejudices.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about when I had shown qualities matching all of the 4 I's. I was only expecting to have to address a couple of them but I had prepared for all 4 as I didn't know which they would ask me about.

I was also asked about whether I liked technology. Obviously I'd used technology to get so far but this question was about whether I LIKED technology. I'm an older candidate and many people of my age are technophobes. Fortunately I'm a technophile.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Aberdeen, Scotland) in November 2016.

Interview

Went in and was taken to the interview room. first part was the role play where I was given information on food. Given 5-10 mins to look at the info and the interviewer came back in as the customer and I had to sell the products to a "customer".
    I was then passed onto another guy where he went over a series of questions.
    Finally was offered the job and ask which department I wanted to go to. (the times and days that are on the online job application does not mean those are the times you are given).

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2016.

Interview

After completing the online tests, which assess your personality and how you might respond to different work situations appropriate to the role, I was told that I'd been successful and was offered an interview immediately. When I arrived at the store, I made my way to the information desk and was met by a member of staff. She asked me to tell her about myself. I'm currently taking a gap year so I told her about my A levels and plans for the future. Remember, companies are really much more interested in what you can offer them- they really don't want your whole life story. In this case, the opening, "tell me about yourself", was a way to break the ice but ultimately used to assesss how many hours I could work and whether or not I would be able to commit to the job. After I had introduced myself, my interviewer gave me a folder containing information about the role play. She told me that she would give me 15 minutes alone to read over the information. Now, there is a lot of information in the booklet so be selective about what's relevant and what's not. In this way, try to build up a picture of the scenario M&S are trying to get you to see. I had children's swimwear, women's beach cover-ups and suncream which = a holiday. This gives an easy conversation starter and creates the opportunity for you to upsell and inform them of useful offers-- "Oh you're going on holiday! Anywhere nice? ....Make sure you check out our women's wear department - we've got some beautiful beach cover-ups." This is a really easy way to upsell. Once you've established what the scenario is all about, it's just a question of listening, smiling and being polite. Remember, you should be able to refer to the booklet during the role play. Once the role play was finished she said she was happy to offer me the job. There were no questions about why I wanted to work for M&S or what I thought the role was all about. But preparing for these types of questions will go along way to helping you feel confident and ready on your interview day.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.