Marks & Spencer M&S Customer Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer M&S Customer Assistant Interview Questions

Updated 5 May 2017

3 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

M&S Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2017.

Interview

You have the role play the regular interview questions. The role play is not as bad as you think it will just be very friendly and give lots of options. For the interview you will be asked about the 4 is so look these up.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in Marble Arch, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Marble Arch, England) in November 2016.

Interview

I was met by the assessor and she talked me through the assessment process. She read from a sheet of paper basically explaining the rules to the first half of the assessment which is role play.
     I read through the materials given to me so I could get a better idea of what I was expected to do.
     I was given five minutes to do this and when the time was up the assessor came back into the interview room as my "customer" to begin the roleplay assessment.

My customer was looking for a suit jacket that was not in stock and needed it that day because she had an interview the next day. I offered her alternatives such as if she would buy the clothes in another size/colour or if I should call another store nearby to check if it's in stock and I also tried telling her to order it online and pick up at a nearby store etc. When she eventually accepted one of my alternatives I managed to suggest that she should purchase a shirt with her suit jacket and included a "buy one, get one half price deal" to persuade her to do so.

After the role play assessment had finished I was given a question sheet to fill out asking me : what I thought went well and why, what I thought didn't go well and why &what I would do next time?
    When I had finished the assessor collected the question sheet from me and we discussed my performance and what I did and didn't do well.
    When the assessor had finished the discussion she went to call the sectional manager who would take the 1:1 section of the interview with me.

He came into the interview room giving me a warm smile and a friendly handshake, taking a few minutes to familiarise himself with me then we settled into the questions. After he had finished asking me a few questions he went to meet the assessor to get feedback on my roleplay assessment and came back to give me my fairly good news.

All in all it was a fun experience and not half as scary as I assumed it would be. All the staff were very kind and warm to me and gave me little need to worry or feel nervous about the process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with M&S?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Wrexham, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Wrexham, Wales) in October 2016.

Interview

I went through an online application which took around 30-40 minutes to complete. It consisted of a general quiz with feedback on every answer, a personality test and a situation/scenario test. After passing, I was offered an in-store assessment.
    At the interview I signed in and was greeted by the interviewer, she was really friendly and we spoke casually about things before hand such as university etc. We began by having a role play exercise. I was left alone for 5 minutes to read over the process and look over some laminated sheets with various pieces of information on, such as discounts, food prices etc. She returned as a customer looking to purchase food for a buffet. She asked about drinks, foods, deserts etc. I'd advise up selling products, e.g. suggesting buying sandwiches as they're "delicious". Be smiley and confident and make small talk to welcome the customer.
    After the role play was finished, I had passed and was asked to fill in an evaluation sheet which included me writing 'what went well', 'what went less well' and 'what I'd do next time'. She returned with a department manager who conducted an interview consisting of various questions. It was quite a casual question and answer session and both employees made me feel welcomed and less nervous thanks to their positive feedback.
    After the interview they left for 5 minutes to discuss my responses. The first woman returned and we spoke about which specific role would best suit me bearing in mind I was in full time education. We settled on a role and we sorted paperwork and I signed some forms. (You MUST bring your national insurance number, passport/any other form of ID and details of your address, e.g. provisional/driving license.)
    Following this I left the interview and was ready to start working a few weeks later after confirming the job from an email and attended 3 training days which lasted all day.

Interview Questions

• What would be something that you would find satisfying about the job and something you may find less satisfying and why?   Answer Question
    • What retail/selling experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you influenced someone's way of thinking?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you motivated someone/a team?   Answer Question
    • What do you believe is 'customer service' and what would you expect as customer service?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.