Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview Questions

Updated 19 May 2017

2.8

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I applied online via a lengthy process. You have to answer about 40 questions with different scenarios. I was told straight away I passed this section and then had to book an interview "assessment".

The first part of the interview was a role play. Two staff members were in the room, one playing the customer role and one writing notes. I was provided with 4 pieces of laminated paper displaying various offers in store and showing what stock was available. I was told I would have 5-10 mins to read these through and make notes whilst the staff left the room. However you can hold and refer to the laminated pieces of paper as you are doing your role play. The staff then entered the room and you start the role play acting as a customer assistant. I thought this was going to be horrible and was quite nervous but it was actually fine and the staff are very helpful in guiding you as to what to say next. I then had to fill in an evaluation sheet on what I thought went well and what I'd improve next time about the role play.

I was then told a manager would be coming in to ask me some questions. This was more of the standard interview questions and lasted about 20 minutes. As part of the interview you have to give examples of the 4 I's which M&S go by. These are innovation, inspiring, in touch and something else. For each of these the manager gives you a question about a time you've done something relevant to these 4 things. For example a time you inspired a change or a time you encouraged someone.

After this I was told straight away I had got the job and then had to choose my hours and sort out paperwork.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Marks & Spencer's?   Answer Question
  • What is your understanding of the role of a customer assistant?   1 Answer
  • What experience do you have in selling/retail?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and passed assessment and was given a date and time for interview which I booked myself in for , I never received any follow up email and had to call them the day before to check I was booked in, I was on the system so all ok so far.
    Then the interview , was signed in and taken to a room, got given a few sheets about imaginary store fergusons told to read over them for 10 mins and when assessor came back in she was the customer , basically the item she wanted was out of stock, offered her similar item , and told her I could order in the item for next day , just do everything you can to help customer , also told her about offers that related to her item , asked at end if I could help her with anything else , then filled in a sheet to say what I thought went well , what didn't , after that the assessor came back to let me know id done well and she would be interviewing me as supervisor was busy , interview went really well at end she told me she was offering me the job and what department i would be in , great !! After 5 days and no contact I contacted store only to be told management had decide it was better to interview everyone before offering job !! So now I don't know if I have job or not and need to wait again to hear from them

Interview Questions

I don't know if I have job even though I was told at interview I did

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in October 2016.

Interview

After a quick search on the website many vacancies will appear with many different hour options. I found one that would be great for me a 10 hour weekend job I started to apply filling in the 3 tests that they have on the website, they are quite time consuming however it does illuminate some applicants. If all 3 are passed you will be taken to a page where you choose your face to face interview time. On the day of the interview there is two parts. First the role play where you will be working with a less senior member, they'll go out the room for 5 minutes and you will have time to look over the sheet they provide, when she comes back in she is the customer and you have to act out a typical day sene where she is looking for a product which is out of stock MAKE SURE YOU MENTION ALTERNATIVES AND TRY TO UPSELL OTHER PRODUCTS. The second part is with the manager where you answer typical interview questions "why do you want to work here" etc. Make sure to look over the 4I's and plan A before hand, she will then go out the room and talk to the other member to decide if you have the job. The first staff member will tell you if you have or have not been successful and if like me you have then she'll bring out a big book of empty vacancies to choose from (not the hours initially planned). Can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Great pay since i'm only 16 but no negotiation as the pay is set.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southend-on-Sea, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Southend-on-Sea, England) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, long process. Given situations and have to pick the best solution, then personality questionnaire. Told straight away if you have not been successful or to pick an interview time slot.

Interview is in two parts. First is a role play. You have a few minutes to read through the scenario and info on products and then an employee acts as a customer, they will try to prompt you but it is not a straightforward conversation-everything they ask for is out of stock!
    Then an interview with a manager. Questions are quite long winded and vague and they don't directly discuss your previous experience so difficult to show your suitability. Left alone for a while then the manager told me I hadn't got the job which I expected

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you influenced another person   1 Answer
    • When have you come up with a new idea that's had a good impact   Answer Question

Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2016.

Interview

Two part interview- started with a role play where a customer wanted an item that was out of stock. I was then given an evaluation of how I thought the role play went while the interviewers discussed. I was told if I did well I would be interviewed further, if not it would end there.
    Second part was a one on one interview with a manager.
    Did not get an offer because I couldn't start when they wanted, but details kept on file.

Anonymous Employee in Staines, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Staines, England) in October 2016.

Interview

I was invited to attend an interview after successfully completing the online assessment for the role I applied for. When I arrived at the store where the interview was being conducted, I was taken to a meetings office in the staff area. I had sheets of information in front of me which described various food and meal options for a vegetarian customer, I was given about 5-10 minutes to familiarise myself with information before the role play began. After the role play there was a brief interview with one of the store managers where I was asked some questions about myself and how I would handle doing the job. I was offered the job there and then.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with customers during the busy Christmas period?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Handforth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Handforth, England) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online on Marks and Spencer website, was offered an interview the next day. The interview involved answering questions from a printed list with a HR team member. The next part of the interview involved a short role play exercise; help a customer pick alternative products from ones which weren't available. The final part of the interview was with the team leader of the food department who asked more basic questions from a similar printed list.

Interview Questions

• what experience do you have, how well do you work in a team etc.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Online test - email received to book an interview

Role play - with a senior member of staff, role played as a difficult customer scenario. Was given cards with various pieces of information that helped in the role play

1:1 interview with line manager - competency based questions and about the role applied for. Things like 'tell me a time when...', why M&S, what do you know about the role applied for?

Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process is good, it consisted of a role play where you act as a customer assistant and the interviewer is the customer. You are provided with different information such as offers and you should use these in the role play, after to role play you get told whether you were successful with that part of the interview then get interviewed by the manager, competency based questions. The process was very long especially if you get the job you could be there for 2 hours, the managers and staff were very nice and gave time to think of answers etc.

Anonymous Employee in Greenhithe, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Greenhithe, England) in November 2015.

Interview

You sign in and and wait for someone to come get you. The interviewer will take you to the interview room. You begin by answering questions about yourself and check over details submitted online. A part of the process is to do role-play. You get given help sheets with information about some products available and some offers, it is a different store and you get 10 minutes to plan. My role play was that the customer wanted a blazer but it was out of stock, so had to show them others available, complimenting products like shoes and shirts - there was an offer on shirts on one of the information sheets. They do not tell you that they are going to test whether you know about the next-day collection available in store, but it's the only thing they want to test your knowledge on about what you know about the store (and what products you like too!). Next you would answer some questions on how you think you did and rate the role play section. That'd be taken by interviewer and a department manager will come in and ask you questions from a booklet they have to fill in. Then they leave and interviewer comes in to tell you whether you how well you did in the role play and whether you have a contract or not.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.