Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 Oct 2017

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Norwich, England).

Interview

After going through the online assessment process, I was able to book an interview for the next week.
    I went to the information desk and was greeted by an assistant manager who chatted and took me to the interview room. I was told about the role play activity, and was given about 5 pages of food to look at for the role play. The assessor left the room for 5 minutes, and when she re-entered it began. She asked for a product which was out of stock, and it was my duty to go through any options of phoning other stores, or suggesting alternatives. The role play goes on for about 10 minutes and the assessor is just looking for your customer service skills, and your ability to persuade and sell products. (My advice for this is to just go for it and be confident even if you're not - because realistically if you don't get the job you're never going to see this person again.)
    After this, the assessor left the room to write up her notes, and when she returned she was with the manager. She then asked questions which I have listed below, in a very friendly and nice manner. The interview was very relaxed, and both people made me feel comfortable.
    I was offered the job there and then, and was left to discuss uniform and shift pattern with the assistant manager.
    I have my induction in a couple of weeks!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online had to do around 3 questionnaires which took around 45 mins to complete all of them.
    I had then received a email couple hours after saying that I had answered questions well and had gotten an interview around 3 days after.
    On the day of the interview, I received a call from my interviewer asking to push the interview from 2:30 to 12:30 which I agreed with.
    On arrival I was told to wait at the cafe and was given a free hot chocolate beverage whilst I waited. I was waiting for around 30 45 mins to see my interviewer.
    Once seeing my interviewer I was told I had to do a role play with a customer looking for a certain item, I was a bit skeptical with this interview as I had never worked in retail and had no experience dealing with a customer, I was given 4 sheets of paper with food and drink items that were in stock and items that wasn't in stock and was told to read these when dealing with the customer if they had question about these items, if they were in stock or not. However these sheets were poorly laid out. I wasn't told what I should include when dealing with the customer and how to give a perfect service.
    When the role play had finished the interviewers then went out of the room to access my performance, they was gone for around another 20 mins to only come back and tell me that my interview was unsuccessfull, which I had appreciated as they straight up told me and I didn't have to wait a couple of days for the feedback. I was not asked any other interview questions and the role play was the whole backbone of the interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Firstly, there was a phone conversation: details checked, suitability/flexibility, and MCQ with customer service scenarios. They were not hard- common sense, but confusing over the phone- have a pen & paper to write down answers. Right there and there, after MCQ is passed I was scheduled for interview.

However, the 1:1 interview was pure hell. I came in early thinking early is better than late (20 min early), but was told to leave and come back in 20 minutes. I went for a walk and came back, they sat me in the changing room, where I waited again for the interviewer. The interviewer didn’t introduce herself until we got to the “interview room” which meant a very awkward long walk with a stranger. We got to a tiny & stuffy room, where no water or even a smile was offered. The interview took over one hour (!!!) which for a lower position like that is outrageous. First part regarded experience in different areas- felt belittling, as I explained different areas of experience in both work and academia, transferable skills and so on (as you do in interview), the interviewer made sure that I could see “NO” as it was written down. But that was not all, there were at list 7 pages of questions to deal with- firstly the interviewer read the questions out loud very slowly as if for first time in life (can understand that) but on top of that wrote everything… Word. For. Word. So, after each question there was at list few minutes of VERY uncomfortable silence, where EVERYTHING was written down. Didn’t know what to do with myself, where to look. During all that the interviewer barely made eye contact, read questions of the page, asked on many occasions to repeat what I have just said. A lot of sighs and eye-rolling with every answer. Questions were very badly designed too, with overlapping competencies, some of them were very long, some even had up to four parts to answer in one- try answering that and then repeated the same answer twice. Took me a whole day to recover from that.

After all that effort and experience that felt like interrogation I got call next day that I “passed” the interview stage but they do not have available contracts to offer me at the time, so they will hold my details until they need me. Very disappointed and confused, why interview people if you have no vacancies to offer?

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Milton Keynes, England) in September 2016.

Interview

had to do a role play with someone pretending to give product advice, it was extremely awkward and daunting. This was then followed by a one to one interview which wasn't as bad.

Interview Questions

• What fabric is best for someone with sensitive skin?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

I had a phone interview which was easy enough. Simple multi choice questions related to customer service. This was followed by a face to face interview. The face to face interview was very intimidating. Two women were interviewing me and it felt more like an interrogation. There was a role play that seemed completely irrelevant to the job I was applying for. Didn't feel comfortable at all

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whitstable, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Whitstable, England) in October 2016.

Interview

The online application is very easy, quickly got an interview but the interview is useless as they don't care about autism. Customer Service means customer support not sales. The whole roleplay was about sales. After I failed the roleplay, I had an autistic attack and she didn't care just got jobcentre involved. Bad management and rubbish at their jobs.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Braintree, England) in October 2016.

Interview

I was given a few sheets of paper about a fake supermarket and it had loads of stuff on it like products and prices etc and the role play was the customer walked in and said 'hi I'm looking for parma ham and a red pepper for chicken dinner' or something like that and they were both out of stock so i was like 'oh well ill go and look in the back for you' and they are out of stock there too so i said 'i can order them in for you tomorrow if you want?' And she was like 'no im cooking it tonight' and i was like 'oh well how about i call up a different store to see if its in stock there?' And shes like no i just want to buy something from here then cook asap' and i was like 'well theres a few other alternatives you may be interested in?' (Some different types of ham and i listed them out) and none of them were good enough for her.. So i was just like 'well i don't know then' and i failed the role play

Apparently i had to ask what was wrong with the alternatives i mentioned. But then i thought whys that any of my business? Why should i force her to buy something she doesnt want?

Customer Sales Assistant Gemini Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrington, North West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Warrington, North West England, England) in August 2016.

Interview

Arrived and was sent to the cafe. There was around 200 other people there, they said it was the first time that they had interviewed in this way. MD spoke to the room and told us one member of each department would be interviewing people and that we were to queue up for which ever department interested us most. We were told that people who shine and stand out will be hired. They didn't ask us any questions other than to sell yourself. I queued up for the home department as I love interior design, the lady was nice and I told her how I am a really creative person and I love interior design. She found my details from the list but informed me that I was put down for the lingerie department (I was not made aware of this) so insisted I should try that queue. The lingerie queue was at least 30-40 people long, however, I was persistent and waited my turn. By the time I reached the front the women was bored and uninterested and didn't listen to what I was saying at all. When I finished speaking she just said 'thanks, we will be in touch' no response or interest in what I had said. I left after this and didn't bother with another queue as I had already been there more than two hours and only managed to have a two minute conversation with two people (one of whom was not interested). One of the worst interviews, if not the worst I have ever attended. Disgusting from such a highly regarded company!!!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

A long process broken into three parts. A one on one interview which is based around the marks and spencer competencies. A test which asks you to give a presentation based on a set of criteria. You have an hour to prepare. Usually a business case.
    Lastly there is a group discussion.

Interview Questions

• They were very in depth about asking questions on how you came to make decisions in the presentation task.   1 Answer

Cafe Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bromley, England) in July 2015.

Interview

Went through an intensive online application process and was offered an interview immediately for the next day. This gave me little time to prepare. Upon arrival of the store you have to check in and are taken to wait for the interviewee. The interviewer asked if i had done something similar before and if I knew what to expect, I said i had heard there was a role play involved and some questions to see if i was suitable for the role. Without asking any questions we jumped straight into the role play. I was given five minutes to learn four pages of products and know if they where in-stock and the names of what they are, a long with two more pages of materials that where suggesting local stores in the area and drinks to compliment the role play. All in all, the application process is quick and upfront about whether you got the job or not, however, the role play was unrelated to the tasks I would be doing and very memory intensive, i left feeling I had been set-up to fail.

Christmas Salesfloor Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Tamworth, England).

Interview

I applied online and was immediately offered an interview slot for the following morning. At the interview I was led into a room and asked some basic questions about my current job, my availability and my education. I was then given 7 sheets of paper and some blank paper to make notes. The paper contained information such as which products were in stock, the phone numbers of local stores and current promotions. I was left alone for about 10 mins and then the role play began. In the role play I had to deal with a customer looking for a a tankini for her daughter but the particular one she wanted wasn't in stock I managed to offer her an alternative but then she asked if there was anyway she could skip the queue cos she was in a rush. I didn't think this would be possible because it would be unfair on other customers however I should have allowed to skip the queue.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.