Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Norwich, England).

Interview

After going through the online assessment process, I was able to book an interview for the next week.
    I went to the information desk and was greeted by an assistant manager who chatted and took me to the interview room. I was told about the role play activity, and was given about 5 pages of food to look at for the role play. The assessor left the room for 5 minutes, and when she re-entered it began. She asked for a product which was out of stock, and it was my duty to go through any options of phoning other stores, or suggesting alternatives. The role play goes on for about 10 minutes and the assessor is just looking for your customer service skills, and your ability to persuade and sell products. (My advice for this is to just go for it and be confident even if you're not - because realistically if you don't get the job you're never going to see this person again.)
    After this, the assessor left the room to write up her notes, and when she returned she was with the manager. She then asked questions which I have listed below, in a very friendly and nice manner. The interview was very relaxed, and both people made me feel comfortable.
    I was offered the job there and then, and was left to discuss uniform and shift pattern with the assistant manager.
    I have my induction in a couple of weeks!

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheltenham, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cheltenham, England).

Interview

I went into a room with a man who told me the position I was applying for had gone and there was only early mornings left which was annoying but we did the interview anyway. I also thought it was clothes but they only had food positions. Interview was basic questions and a scenario which was rather awkward but okay. But he kept leaving the room and leaving me for long periods of time, a rather scattered and messy interview. Wasn't a good interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Thurrock, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (West Thurrock, England) in July 2016.

Interview

Easy interview. Asked a few questions but was more of an informal chat. Then was given a document about which items are in stock and had to role play a situation where I was helping a customer who wanted an item that was out of stock. Got offer on day of interview and started a couple of weeks later.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland) in October 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed and been successful for m&s on 3 separate occasions at different stores. Today I interviewed for a job at a store I had never worked at before. Same as the others, I went to the customer assistant desk where I was taken to meet the employee who'd be interviewing me. Then I was taken to a small office where the interview took place. Firstly I was asked a bit about myself and the experience I had. I was then explained the role play task by the interviewer and provided with materials for the task, a piece of paper and a pen and given 5 minutes. My task was working in a store where a customer is seen at the deli area looking around for the last 10 minutes and catches your eye. I approached the customer and asked if I could help him in any way. The information was provided allowing me to offer a number of things e.g. A list of items available at the deli. Then I asked different questions to get an idea of what was needed- food for a party, how many people, any vegetarian? Any allergies? I offered the party food selections and discussed the prices and availability of these etc. Also we spoke about alcohol and other bits and bobs for a party. I offered online order to customer. The party was 2 days time and it was 7pm after deadline time therefore I could not offer next day delivery for the customer but delivery to store on day of party. The occasion was his parents 30 year anniversary- personal touch i congratulated them and spoke about how it'll be a great day and we can get this all organised for them. Being friendly, confident and proving good customer service is the most important things. I was told I was successful and met with a manager. She seemed very happy with me, my confidence and my experience. I then filled out some forms and was told I will be called to tell me what contract I will be working.

Interview Questions

• Availability, start date, experience, and just a general chat with the manager   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bournemouth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bournemouth, England) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied for a temp Xmas job. First I had to do a role play with 2 people, one played the customer and the other took notes. She was looking for a suit jacket which was out of stock. They're looking for you to suggest getting delivered from another store next day. Then a manager came in to do the interview part.

Interview Questions

• They asked about a time when I had to get attention of an audience (relating to their In Touch value!)   1 Answer

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Preston, North West England, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Online assessment initially, once passed then you have to book a face to face interview at your chosen branch where the job vacancy is.
    Be aware that the interview places book up extremely quickly !
    M&S do regularly post new vacancies on-line so keep an eye out for these - I saw my vacancy,went to book an interview & there were only 2 times left.
    Face to face interview for myself, was the questions first - based around the 4 i’s M&S use, so learn these from their website ; questions were relatively straightforward.
    Next I had the role play ; you are given a brief and 5 mins to prepare- again relatively straightforward- just read all of the brief - the answers are in there !
    Lasted about 10 mins max, my advice is to go with it and listen to the “customer”, which incidentally was a member of staff and overviewed by the interviewing manager.
    After a 10 min wait I was offered a role and discussed work shifts, availability etc.
    Overall a good relaxed process.

Interview Questions

• 4 questions based around the 4 i’s M&S use - you can find these on their website; they were also on a stand up display in the interview room.
      Make sure you prepare fully !
      Use their website and drop in the fact you’ve looked by using some relevant fact.
      I went to the store the day before my interview to make sure I knew where to report on the day and check out the store window displays etc....which I dropped into the interview.   Answer Question

Customer Experience Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Went through a role play. If the role play is a success they go through to the interview but in my case they didn't because I was not able to go through the role play.

Interview Questions

• The role play was a situation where a customer was looking for squash but could not find it so I was told to offer alternatives.   Answer Question

Christmas Temp Customer Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied on line through their website. Spent over and hour and half completing the personality assessment and the video scenarios, submitted the application and all I got was a thank you. Didn't get an offer of an interview. Never got an email. Later that same day I checked online and the position I applied for was no longer advertised, on that basis I presume I didn't hear anything, didn't get an interview as the vacancy no longer existed,, almost two hours of my life I won't get back. If I apply for another post or store I have to do the whole process again.... doubt I will.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Brief online questionnaire - asking you what you'd do in certain situations - followed by a role play in store - you need to log in and book a time - be very quick and get the earliest you can as they fill roles on an ongoing basis.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Walsall, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Questions asked about yourself for example ‘how have you inspired someone? Then I was left in the room alone with a deck of cards to read and decide on the A or B answer and explain why!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

An online application form is the first step, followed by a series of online questionnaires which test your ability to interact with the public in a supermarket setting.

Following successful completion of this stage, they invite you to an interview. This process involves a one on one Q and A session to find out more about you as a person, followed by a 'role play' session which tests your understanding of the job as a whole

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you provided excellent customer service   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.