Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 Oct 2017

2.6

Customer Assistant Slales Floor - Launceston Interview

Anonymous Employee in Launceston, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Launceston, England) in October 2017.

Interview

I arrived at the job centre in Launceston where , the interviews were being carried out. I was greeted by a female M& S employee who presented an endearing smile. I was taken to the interview and introduced to the interviewer, Sam also a current employee. He explained the process and very quickly made me feel at ease.

The process consisted of a number of questions being asked (see below) and a ten minute - role play in relation to food products. Another female employee (again made me feel at ease) explained the process and then acted as the customer whilst I acted as the customer assistant. Sam, was present in the room observing and taking notes. Once the role play was over I was given feedback.

I really enjoyed my interview today, it has been the first job I have applied for in some time. I am very grateful for the reviews from other people on glass door as it enabled me to prepare for my interview and feel comfortable. Thank you to Sam and the two female employees for making my experience a positive one.

I will know if I have a position on 23 October 2017 (so although I have ticked that I was offered a job, I will not know until the 23rd. There isn't an alternative option to tick)

Interview Questions

• Q. Tell me a little about yourself?

A.

Q. What is your understanding of the role that you have applied for?

A.

Q. What previous experience do you have?

A.

Q. What do you think your biggest challenge will be in this role?

A.

Q. Give an example when you have had to use your integrity.

A.

Q. Give an example when you have been innovative.

A.   Answer Question

Christmas Temp Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Sheffield, England) in October 2017.

Interview

First you have to fill out an online questionnaire and general questions about the role and if you’re successful with that stage it will immediately tell you to pick an interview time. At the interview it is a very relaxed and welcoming atmosphere i never once felt too pressured which surprised me because this is my first job. One member of staff will ask you basic questions and then they will leave the room to assess what you said and then come back and tell you if you were successful and if you are you will move onto the next stage which is the role play exercise. A different member of staff will collect you and escort you to another room where they run through the scenario and then leave you to take notes of what the customer is looking for. For mine she wanted a suit jacket that was out of stock and she was acting in a hurry so it can cause you to panic but just try to focus and listen carefully to what they want. Ask questions such as “what is the occasion” or “what size/colour are you after” and also make sure to try and sell them any other products and mention any promotional offers. All the information you need is given to you and you’re allowed to look at your notes during the roleplay you just have to be friendly and patient with the customer. Whilst the roleplay takes place another staff member is taking down notes which they both then leave the room to score your performance. Whilst they are gone you have to fill in a self assessment sheet where you state where you feel you went wrong and how you would improve. Really try to sell the customer the products and offer to call other branches as this is what i forgot to do. Overall it is a very relaxed atmosphere and the staff are very lovely and friendly and guide you through everything. They then tell you if you have passed the role play and then you go to discuss uniform and shift hours and details like that. I’m very excited to start working there as the staff made me feel at ease and treated me very well and were very reassuring and kind.

Interview Questions

• The 4 M&S I values - “when was a time when you were innovative/inspirational/in-touch/integrity”   Answer Question
    • “What is the definition of the role of a customer assistant”   1 Answer
    • “Why do you want to work for M&S?”   Answer Question
    • “What makes you suitable for the role?”   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Walsall, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Questions asked about yourself for example ‘how have you inspired someone? Then I was left in the room alone with a deck of cards to read and decide on the A or B answer and explain why!

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Online quiz, booked interview as soon as I was told I passed that, friendly interview, was not asked about scenarios just my understanding of the job and previous experiences that could help in the job

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of the role you've applied for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland).

Interview

Online scenario based questions to make sure you have a grasp of customer service. Then interview with a bit of role play. Essentially in the role play make sure you are being polite and doing your best to help the 'customer'.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?
      They will also probably ask if you're flexible, say yes and you can work around it when you start.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Short interview with role play on food in the store and customer interaction. Asked about previous experience and roles that
    related to job. Overall was an okay interview, process lasted less than a week.

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Online process was straightforward and got back to you really quickly.
    Interview was laid back and was not too intense. Very friendly.
    No role-play, just a 20-30 minute interview and was told I got the job at the end of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cannock, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cannock, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Did an hour long interview online, passed and picked an interview date. Went today for the interview, and I don't think I've felt more uncomfortable in my life, they tell you to relax but if you relax then you're not getting the job. From what I have seen today this doesn't look like the best place to work if you're wanting a retail job. Staff was cold, smiled in your face but you could just tell they were fake. No-one under 30, which I think is ageist. They act like they want a diversity of people, but really they just want someone with 10 years of experience and seemed like they cannot be bothered to train any young worker. So glad I didn't get through the role play as this seems like a horrible place to work. Really would not recommend to anyone. RUN!!

Interview Questions

• Role play about a woman whose mom has cancer and she's getting tea ready for her tonight.   1 Answer

Store Warehouse Operative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Derby, England) in September 2017.

Interview

I did a 40 minute assessment online. This was fairly easy, you just have to make sure you focus on providing great customer service in the answers. I then recieved an email straight after telling me that I was successful in that part of the process and to book a slot for an in-store assessment. My interview/assessment lasted for about 1.15 hours. I started off with a chat about the role and then was taken around the backend of the store and into the cold room. After that, I had to do a product sorting exercise, by date and weight. This was really simple and you're using plastic cut-outs so it isn't difficult at all. The final section was a very causal and informal chat with the admin person. This is just to get to know flexibility and whether or not you're suitable for the role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

Interview

I went to the Marks and Spencer store for the interview. The interview process began with a role play. I was asked to take on the role of a Customer Assistant in an imaginary retail store and interact with the interviewer who would play the role of a customer.

I was given a few cards to read which had information on them pertaining to the situation given (description of the situation , stock information, on-going promotions, delivery options) . You are given 5 minutes to read the cards and take any notes after which the interviewer comes in as the "customer" along with a silent observer who takes notes while you interact with the "customer". I was given a situation where a customer was looking for a particular suit jacket that she had seen before in the store, which is currently out of stock. You are meant to approach the customer, ask if she needs help, help her find an alternative suit ( the customer was in a rush, as she needed the suit for an interview the next day). Make sure you save time by reading the stock information carefully. You should consider suggesting another color in the same style that she originally liked (I wasted time suggesting other styles when there was the same style in another colour). The lady who interviewed me was very encouraging put me at ease throughout the process. Make sure to be as natural as possible. Smile and greet the customer, listen carefully to what she/he wants (size, style etc) and mention in-store promotions in order to sell more products.

After the role play, you are asked to fill in a short feedback form to assess how you felt the role play went ( where you think you have fared well, where you could have improved). When the interviewer returned, she went over times and schedules with me to help me find a suitable time slot. Unfortunately, none of the times offered were suitable for my needs so I had to decline. If a suitable schedule was agreed upon, the next steps would have been a short interview with the manager.

Overall it was a highly organized, efficient and comfortable process. the lady who interviewed be was a gem of a person and she was really encouraging throughout.

Please note that you must bring in your passport to begin the interview process. The interviewer will confirm that you have all the required documentation (including originals) before the interview begins, so please make sure to bring them in.