Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Interview Questions

Updated 19 Jul 2018

2.6

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in March 2012.

Interview

Very simple, It was a 18 year old looking for a part time job! you just show up for a chat and get hired. Spoke to a manager in a room for 10 minutes and then was shown round the store by another manager

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rotherham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Rotherham, England) in November 2013.

Interview

Online application form with some situational scenarios. Take a long time but are really realistic and feel like they help a lot in the real role. This followed by some Would you do this or that questions.

Interview once you get there which is followed by a role play where I got a "cake not turning up" scenario

Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Malvern, England) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview included two parts. One was a knowledge test and the other one was interview by a manager. The first part was easy. You are asked to arrange ambient, chilled and frozen products according to their categories and sell by date.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland) in January 2016.

Interview

Online application goes through to head office first. Walk around floor followed by styling activity to dress 2 mannequins in the clothes provided. Very few questions asked about me or my experience, mostly role based. The interviewer had not seen my CV before my interview so be sure to take on with you.

Interview Questions

• Describe the visual merchandising techniques used in this brand section of the store.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview split into three parts, the first part was to head out on to the shop floor and put together three full outfits and then talk about them. Second part was a floor walk talking about various displays, the third part was an actually one to one interview about me adn my experience.

Visual Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, East of England, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Kingston, East of England, England) in November 2014.

Interview

A friend was leaving the role and suggested that I contact her manager via email (I think usually vacancies appear on the M&S website).

I was called to the branch for a two and a half hour interview (30 minute introductory "chat", 1.5 hour styling which was assessed by the VM manager and section coordinator, 30 minute store tour with questions)

During the styling segment, I was asked to style 3 mannequins (2 women, 1 man) using a selection of clothes from a large rail of clothing and baskets of accessories. All had to be at the same event/doing the same thing, e.g. all going to a wedding, all going to Sunday brunch etc.

All seemed very casual. The styling section got a bit stressful as I ran out of time, but the two staff assessing were really nice and even allowed me an extra five minutes to get everything sorted.

Visual Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leicester, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received an email a few days later inviting me to book in for an interview slot. Was advised in the email that the interview would be split into three sections lasting for one hour, a styling section, floor walk, then one to one chat. I was also told to dress in my own style and not typical interview clothing as it was a styling interview.

I arrived and was greeted by one of the visual merch managers, he took me up to a room where the main visual merch manager was waiting, I sat down with them and they talked me through what the process would be, they were really nice and said to not be nervous and they know how it feels to be in an interview etc etc.

They left me for 45 minutes to style two mannequins and an extra outfit that I laid out on the table. I had a choice of clothing on a rail which was mainly made up of lots of coats, jumpers and jeans (the clothing choices were pretty horrendous)

They came back and I talked them through my styling choices for the mannequins, they said they were really impressed with what I had done and then we moved on to the floor walk, I was asked to critique their window displays and then point out the differences between two different sections on womenswear, they asked quite misleading questions such as 'How would you dress that mannequin differently?' (Bit difficult to answer if you aren't given different clothing/accessory choices to dress it?) and seemed a bit stumped themselves, constantly asking each other if they had any more questions....

We then went back upstairs to the room and they asked questions about my experience and why I want to work for M&S. The whole process lasted about 1 hour 30 mins.

I felt the interview went really well and the interviewers were really nice. I was quite disheartened to receive an email a few days later from a 'no reply' account saying they wouldn't be taking my application any further, not even an opportunity to request feedback, a call to let me know would have been more appropriate.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and there were two tests online. One for my behaviour /personality and one as a situational test. I found out after completing the online tests that I had been succesful and I was asked (in the same day) to pick an interview time slot to attend. When I arrived in store for my interview, I was lead upstairs to wait for the manager and another member of staff to interview me. The first part of the interview is the roleplay. They give you 5 -10 minutes to prepare by reading over the booklet they provide you with. (You are allowed to take notes and keep them). I was asked in the roleplay for ingredients that are similar to butternut squash and I also asked what to recommend the "customer" for a vegetarian dinner party. After which, the member of staff pretending to be the customer will give you some feedback. If you are succesful with the roleplay, the manager will come in and ask you general questions about yourself and the company. Nothing too difficult! This part of the interview was more relaxed. Afterwards, if succesful, the manager will show you where you will be working and *may* introduce you to your fellow colleagues. The manager phoned me back within a few hours of leaving the interview to tell me that I had been succesful!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?, What do you know about Marks & Spencer?, Do you know about any of our core values?   1 Answer

Warehouse Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Donaghadee, Northern Ireland

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Donaghadee, Northern Ireland) in August 2017.

Interview

First was an online test the usual most agree least agree type. After that was on line questions giving multi choice answers. If you pass those you get to pick an interview slot, then came face to face interview at store this lasted 2hrs 39 mins. First was a tour of store then a first interview followed by role play then second face to face interview. I was then told I had passed the process but as position I applied for had only one position and it had been filled. So they fill the post but continue to interview, tip choose first available date and time for interview.

Warehouse Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bromley, England) in November 2016.

Interview

Very basic, not many questions, just document check.

Interview Questions

• Online questions about customer care   1 Answer