Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Interview Questions

Updated 16 Dec 2017

2.6

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I Had an interview with two managers and was told to role play a situation where I had to up sell to a customer who was zebra blouse. Also i had to explain a time when I was put under pressure and how I overcame it.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Andrews, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Andrews, Scotland).

Interview

Completed online assessment and was given an interview slot 3 days later. Role play exercise involved this fake store called ''Farmington Thornes'' or something and the interviewer is a customer who was looking for some red pepper and parma ham however its out of stock. You have 5 minutes to prepare yourself. You just have to handle the situation and suggest other alternatives, promote store offers etc etc. Many people on this website have described exactly what im talking about in much greater detail. The role play exercise is the same in nearly every store depending on the department you're in. I had a food role play because i applied to an M&S Simply Food. Afyer role play the assessor will go out and review how you did for a few minutes. They will then tell you there and then if you failed or not. If successful you'll go onto the face to face interview stage. I was asked questions on the ''4 i's''. That was fairly simply. Once i was told i had the job i looked over my shift and pay etc. I was made to feel very comfortable and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• When has there been a time you were innovative?
      When has there been a time it has been important to be in touch?
      When have you inspired someone?
      When has there been a time you've shown integrity?   Answer Question

Cafe Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland).

Interview

Applied online. Had to complete loads of online scenario tests and personality tests. Went to the store and got asked basic questions about my experience, team work examples and why I would be good for the role. You must be flexible.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in November 2017.

Interview

10 minute role play. The interviewer plays a customer looking for a jacket. In my scenario the jacket was in stock so it was mainly about the way you speak to the customer, trying to be as helpful as possible and talk about the current promotions after they have made a decided to buy the jacket or not. Information is provided about promotion etc to read before the role play starts and you can use it during too. You then get a form to fill in asking what you would have done differently. After that I was expecting some form of interview but she told me I had passed, then just asked about my availability. She said that there wern't any available positions at that time but will call me when one opens up.

CSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England).

Interview

Easy, one to one interview. Given a piece of paper to prepare (5-7 minutes) for interview. Asked about products and services and if a product is out of stock what you are going to do.

Customer Assistant Interview

Interview

Really easy. Referred by friend and it was just a few simple questions about me and my experiences. Some stores seem to do it more in depth, but it was pretty simple.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England).

Interview

Two people interviewing. Relatively tough questions on previous experience, situational type scenarios. Bit cold, not thoroughly prepared in terms of what the job required and overly proud of brand. Whole office & interview felt v sterile & corporate. Didn't like questions about future outlook, despite it obv being a challenge. Have had zero feedback since!

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester City Centre, England).

Interview

After you have found a job you would like to apply for, first stage is to complete an online test which takes around an hour. If you pass this then you can book an interview slot at the store. Mine was in 4 days time. Here you first have a role play, where you are the sales assistant at a pretend store (basically m&s with a different name) and you are left for 5mins with a load of information about it. Someone then comes in pretending to be a customer and has a problem, they are testing you can use the information to solve it and to be FRIENDLY. Someone else is watching and making notes. If you pass this you then have an interview with the manager. I was then put in hold as my job had already been filled, but i was called and given a new role within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you have inspired someone   Answer Question
    • Give an example of what good customer service looks like, and when you last received it at m&s.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I did an online assessment which was fairly easy, straight forward questions. The interview was a role play where I had to pretend I was a customer assistant and one of the interviewers was a customer. They have you lots of information to work with but apparently I didn’t ask the ‘customer’ enough questions, so make sure to always ask lots of questions .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland) in November 2017.

Interview

I completed an online application and was invited for an interview the following week. I was greeted by a member of staff who took me into a room and said the manager would interview me shortly. I waited around 20 minutes for the manager and he looked at me and sighed before even saying hello. He then asked me to give examples of the 4 i's, I used experiences from my old job and school, he didnt seem happy with any of these answers and made a few cheeky comments. When he asked about my previous job as a sports coach he informed me that this wasn't infact a real job. He was completely rude and unproffesional.