Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 Oct 2017

2.6

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Online process was straightforward and got back to you really quickly.
    Interview was laid back and was not too intense. Very friendly.
    No role-play, just a 20-30 minute interview and was told I got the job at the end of the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

Interview

I went to the Marks and Spencer store for the interview. The interview process began with a role play. I was asked to take on the role of a Customer Assistant in an imaginary retail store and interact with the interviewer who would play the role of a customer.

I was given a few cards to read which had information on them pertaining to the situation given (description of the situation , stock information, on-going promotions, delivery options) . You are given 5 minutes to read the cards and take any notes after which the interviewer comes in as the "customer" along with a silent observer who takes notes while you interact with the "customer". I was given a situation where a customer was looking for a particular suit jacket that she had seen before in the store, which is currently out of stock. You are meant to approach the customer, ask if she needs help, help her find an alternative suit ( the customer was in a rush, as she needed the suit for an interview the next day). Make sure you save time by reading the stock information carefully. You should consider suggesting another color in the same style that she originally liked (I wasted time suggesting other styles when there was the same style in another colour). The lady who interviewed me was very encouraging put me at ease throughout the process. Make sure to be as natural as possible. Smile and greet the customer, listen carefully to what she/he wants (size, style etc) and mention in-store promotions in order to sell more products.

After the role play, you are asked to fill in a short feedback form to assess how you felt the role play went ( where you think you have fared well, where you could have improved). When the interviewer returned, she went over times and schedules with me to help me find a suitable time slot. Unfortunately, none of the times offered were suitable for my needs so I had to decline. If a suitable schedule was agreed upon, the next steps would have been a short interview with the manager.

Overall it was a highly organized, efficient and comfortable process. the lady who interviewed be was a gem of a person and she was really encouraging throughout.

Please note that you must bring in your passport to begin the interview process. The interviewer will confirm that you have all the required documentation (including originals) before the interview begins, so please make sure to bring them in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cannock, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cannock, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Did an hour long interview online, passed and picked an interview date. Went today for the interview, and I don't think I've felt more uncomfortable in my life, they tell you to relax but if you relax then you're not getting the job. From what I have seen today this doesn't look like the best place to work if you're wanting a retail job. Staff was cold, smiled in your face but you could just tell they were fake. No-one under 30, which I think is ageist. They act like they want a diversity of people, but really they just want someone with 10 years of experience and seemed like they cannot be bothered to train any young worker. So glad I didn't get through the role play as this seems like a horrible place to work. Really would not recommend to anyone. RUN!!

Interview Questions

• Role play about a woman whose mom has cancer and she's getting tea ready for her tonight.   1 Answer

Store Warehouse Operative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Derby, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Derby, England) in September 2017.

Interview

I did a 40 minute assessment online. This was fairly easy, you just have to make sure you focus on providing great customer service in the answers. I then recieved an email straight after telling me that I was successful in that part of the process and to book a slot for an in-store assessment. My interview/assessment lasted for about 1.15 hours. I started off with a chat about the role and then was taken around the backend of the store and into the cold room. After that, I had to do a product sorting exercise, by date and weight. This was really simple and you're using plastic cut-outs so it isn't difficult at all. The final section was a very causal and informal chat with the admin person. This is just to get to know flexibility and whether or not you're suitable for the role.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milton Keynes, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Milton Keynes, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Arrived at the interview and they had no idea who I was or that I was coming. I was told that the position had already been filled and that the only job they were hiring for was Cafe staff - agreed to interview for this instead and after 45 minutes he realised I couldn't work in the Cafe as an under 18 with no qualifications in food safety. Complete waste of time.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in September 2017.

Interview

There was a role play followed by interview questions. I was interviewed separately by two people. It was a genuinely friendly and warm experience. A highly recommended employer to work for.
    It has excellent benefits and training once you are employed.
    The colleagues all want to do the right thing and that is simply to help the customers.
    The customers are at the heart of everything.

Interview Questions

• How did you travel here today?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Nottingham, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Two part interview. A 10 minute role play (which was fully explained) followed by a 30min or so interview with one person from HR and a section Manager

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Leeds, England) in September 2017.

Interview

One on one interview, going over about ten questions, then doing an allergens test. Afterwards spent about 20 minutes in the cafe for role play which involved interacting with customers.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online. A roleplay with an assessor. I was given 5 minutes to prepare product knowledge. Had to upsell and offer alternative products and deal with the original request being out of stock. This lasted about 10 minutes. The questions were dealt with quite well already on this site.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2017.

Interview

Completed the online questionnaires and got offered an interview straight after. Only one interview slot left so you have to be quite quick with this process. There were three ladies in the interview, one of them was assessing the interviewer. All of them were really lovely and made me feel extremely relaxed. We did the role play first. They gave me ten minutes alone to look over the information, they give you everything you need to know and the lady even put it in order of importance. You have to start the role play as soon as the 'customer' walks in the room. So stand up and greet them. In this role play the customer wanted a red pepper and some parma ham but both were out of stock. Everything i needed to offer was on the information they gave me and i could use it while interacting with the customer. I was then interviewed by the department manager which was the standard questions. Check out the 4 i's as the questions are based off of these.