Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marks & Spencer Interview Questions

Updated 13 Dec 2017

2.6

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was offered an interview. On the day I was greeted by the manager. The first stage was a one to one interview with not to difficult questions I passed this and the next stage was a role play with the assistant manager while the manger was taking notes. I also passed this. I then had to fill out a availability form and the size of my uni form I was then told I will get a phone call or email on Thursday to say if I have the job or not.

Do not worry the M&S staff are brill and make you feel like you already work for them.

Cafe Customer Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online for my local M&S store. I got an interview straight away. I attended the interview with a full suit on was fully prepared. A woman gave me a sheet of statements to tick if they applied to me for example have you had experience with using industrial dishwashers before well I'm only 16 and just out of high school so I hadn't had any experience like that and it was my first jobs. The first sheet was all about experience the sheet went a way to get the main interviewer. He was nice and friendly. He then asked me a another set of questions like why M&S for example. I answered them to the best of my ability. I had done all the research before hand on the values of the company and used that knowledge in my answers. After 10 mins of questions then man went. He came back about 5 mins later and I was told I was unsuccessful because of my low experience and my Christmas holidays. I understand the holidays part but not the experience what experience did he expect me to have. I'm only 16 and on the online application it said nothing about having to have some experience . I was willing to learn as much as possible. This process has brought down my general positivity no I do not think M&S is a good place to work if you're young and travel a lot.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Southampton, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online. You have to do a simple question and answer process , then once you’ve passed that you’re invited to do a personality quiz selecting “most” and “least” like you out of the following statements and then a interactive “game” that involves pretending to be in multiple customer and advisor scenarios like ‘item out of stock’ or ‘help customer or help team’.

If you pass both, you then are asked to attend an assessment day. On the assessment day you do a interview with one manager (or so I had). Mine was quite laid back, asked six or eight questions of ‘name a time’ or general M&S questions. I then had to do a role play exercise. You get six pages of information prior and five minutes to read.

Once the exercise is complete they ask you to fill out a form asking what you thought went well during the role play, what didn’t and what you would do next.

I was told straight away that I got the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Brighton, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Basic information collected through an online form. Only giving you two options for last work.
    A fairly length quiz to determine if your feel it would be the correct job for you, which is fair enough.
    20 online questions role play need speakers on computer, and answer multiple choice.
    Then got automatically invited for interview. Booked all online. Taken into the managers office, went through questionnaire with her. They I was told I would be informed either way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stratford, London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Stratford, London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I passed the online assessment which included personality questions. I then had an interview the next week in store . Before I even had the interview and role play I was told that all the positions were taken for the job I applied for(Sales Assistant). They could have contacted me to say that there were no positions left. Instead I had a wasted journey and even though I went through the interview process they had already made their minds up. No wonder M&S is going downhill if they can't even get their communication right with a potential recruit. This has been a very disappointing and disheartening experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you inspired someone. (Look up the 4 i's)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Birmingham, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied for my interview online and had to go through some online tests to get through to the face to face interview stage. I got to my interview and was shown to the staff room upstairs where I had to wait for about 10 minutes for the manager. They then took me to the interview room where they explained that there would be 2 parts to the inverview. The first was the role play. They gave me a few sheets of paper with some information to do with the role play on them and left me alone for 5 minutes to make notes. The interviewer came back in and the role play started straight away. They played a customer who wanted some Parma ham and red peppers but we didn't have them in stock so I had to offer alternatives and promotions and stuff. After it was over they gave me a sheet of paper where I had to write what went well and what could have gone better. I wrote that I should have asked the customer more questions. The interviewer came back and explained that I had passed but only because I recognised that I should have asked more questions. Then it was the actual interview. They first asked some personal questions (work experience, etc) and then some questions about the 4 i's which I will list below. After that, the manager left the room to add up my scores and then came back and told me I'd been successful. They explained my hours, pay and that I would first need an induction. Overall, a stressful but good experience.

Customer Assistant - Salesfloor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glossop, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glossop, England) in November 2017.

Interview

I did an online questionnaire which took around 30-40 minutes and once it was completed I was offered an interview the same day. My interview took place the following week. When I arrived I was greeting by 2 friendly female members of staff at the reception desk and then taken into the staff room to await further instruction. There i met another two lovely members of staff who made me laugh and forget how nervous I was. After chatting and getting to know them a bit I was asked by a more senior member of staff to a room where she sat me down and asked me some questions which I will list below. The questions were really easy to answer as long as you do your research on the “4 I’s”. After the questions I waited for around 15 minutes for the manager and when she came in she explained the role play process to me. She gave me 2 laminated sheets of information on promotional offers and a small stock sheet. She left the room and gave me 5 minutes to make any notes I wanted to make and read through the information. The task was to help a customer who wanted certain products and if they were out of stock I had to suggest alternatives. She wanted Parma ham and red peppers which were both out of stock (shown on the sheet provided) so I suggested she got a more luxury ham and explained the price difference and that she got a sweet red pepper if she needed a red pepper for her recipe. I made a personal connection by asking what event the food was for and when I found out it was for a party I persuaded her to sign up to some promotional offers and the in store catering service. After the role play was completed (which took around 5 minutes) she left the room and came back about 10 minutes to move me into the staff room once again where I saw another interviewee who I helped feel more settled. About 5 minutes after she went in for her interview I was met by the manager again who told me I had passed all the assessments however I had to wait a day to see if she could offer me a position. I then received a phone call the following day and was offered a role. Overall M&S conducted themselves in a friendly and professional manner and I look forward to working for them. I would suggest if you are nervous about your interview to just give it your all and don’t worry about making a fool of yourself in the role play. As long as you are yourself I’m sure they will love you! Good luck and please post feedback on here on how you’ve got on so you can help people in the future.

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrow, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Harrow, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online and completed the online assessment which included watching videos and answering questions related to the scenarios shown. Was invited to an interview straight after being successful. Interview was relaxed. Questions on M&S core values

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in November 2017.

Interview

Had to complete an online assessment, which I passed. Was then invited to an interview. The interview was with two managers. They were both really nice and made me feel relaxed. It was my first ever interview and actually went great! Just make sure you prepare for it, research M&S’ four i’s, as you will be asked about these. We went through a lot of questions (at least 15 questions. Have listed the ones I remember down below) and then they went outside to talk about my answers. They came back in and told me I had passed, and then gave me 5 mins to go over the roleplay information, which I also passed. The role play is quite awkward as you have to pretend, which is quite hard when you’re in an office and not on the shop floor, but just be confident with it! They then went outside to talk about how I did and when they came back in they told me I had passed. The section manager for the role I applied for said she would’ve loved to hire me, but already had someone on hold for the job. Looking through the other reviews it seems like that’s a common thing they do. I was quite disappointed as the interview went so well! They then took my details and put me on hold, but I had to accept another job somewhere else, as they didn’t have any positions open up within a week. I would definitely apply to M&S again, though!

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

Interview

Question air is a bit long but quiet easy. Online assessment. Trying to fill in words Trying to fill in words Trying to fill in words Trying to fill in words Trying to fill in words