Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 Sep 2018

2.6

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in January 2011.

Interview

There was an online test and then a telephone interview and then a day of assessments. Apparently several assessment days were held to deal with all the applicants. Each graduate only needed to attend one. There were several different tasks, including group, presentation and interview.

Interview Questions

• How have you brought a team of different backgrounds together to deal with an issue.   1 Answer

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Álimos (Greece)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Álimos (Greece)) in July 2011.

Interview

A first interview with questions about work experience, studies and main psychological questions such as which person do you admire most, how could you see your self in five years from now etc. Second step was an online test which i took from my place with questions regarding real work situations and how to handle them efficiently (multiple choice). Third step was an assesment centre with role playing questions, case studies, presentations and group excercises. The last was the tougher as the working language for all these activities was english without any previous caution. I failed in this step.

Interview Questions

• In the group exercise they gave us a case study when we have to decide as a group, which investment plan wiil we choose to support in order to increase company's social responsibility. There were a certain budget and we have to choose which one action will give the maximum social output. The goal here was good team communication   Answer Question

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2015.

Interview

1) Few rounds of on-line tests ( verbal , logical)
    2) Telephonic Interview
    It was a friendly interview to know about me and how much I knew about the company.Many competency questions were asked about team work , motivation to apply , passion about technology
    3)Assesments Centre
    The assessment centre tested every capability where we needed to demonstrate how we work together in a team , presentation skills , knowledge and passion about technology ,motivation to apply for the role.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in December 2016.

Interview

Firstly, I applied online and completed the application form as well as the tests. I was later called for a telephone interview. After that I was invited to the group assessment which was a 1 day event including interviews with a panel, group exercises with scenarios and finally a coding interview. It was all very well organised and executed.

Interview Questions

• My code was very messy although it worked, so they asked me what would I do differently to make it more scalable and modular?   Answer Question

Accounting Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Makati City (Philippines)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Makati City (Philippines)).

Interview

Submitted online, then after few days HR called for initial interview. If passed, 2 sets of exam then another wave of interviews by Department Manager and HR Manager. Process took almost 2 weeks and called them for follow up. Entry permits are processed personally instead of HR. Offer is stated during actual signing

Junir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumba (Brazil)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Mumba (Brazil)) in March 2013.

Interview

it is verThe qustion for the aptitude was easy. The test contain 60 Q from apti & 60 from technical round.They conduct 3 round for interview including technical and hr. I am reject in very first round. Best of luck guys.

Interview Questions

• The qustion for the aptitude was easy. The test contain 60 Q from apti & 60 from technical round.They conduct 3 round for interview including technical and hr. I am reject in very first round. Best of luck guys.   Answer Question

Kitchen Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bristol, England) in October 2012.

Interview

I was asked what food I'd prepared and Cooked. I showed them my Food Hygiene Certificate. I quoted the temperatures for Frozen, Cold, Hot Food Counter and just Cooked.
    I was given a Tour of the Building, shown where the Fire Exits were.
    When being shown the Kitchen I was introduced to the other members of Staff.

Interview Questions

• How far away did I live?   1 Answer
    • Did I feel confident working in a Staff Only Kitchen?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Store Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in July 2015.

Interview

Hello's - three people interviewed me
    Role Play - me and one interviewer, another interviewer making notes.
    Interview (assessed with out of 4/4 scores, despite the email saying it was unassessed). Not the questions I expected from reading glassdoor m&s interviews.
    Feedback - assessment scores for both roleplay and interview q&a.
    Goodbye's

Interview Questions

• Role play:
      Out of stock of butternut squash for a vegetarian recipe
      Offer alternative to help make Lasagne - sweet potato mash (topping)
      Offer 3 for 2 deals on sides/desserts/wine/other main meals
      Don't offer the fish meals because the customer was not sure about fish and vegan stuff
      Make small talk throughout - ask occasion/guests/dietary requirements - I forgot to ask about allergies but they said there was a mushroom allergy anyway

Interview questions:
      COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from those advertised online - the interviewer said they have a new process now.
      Questions:
      Why do you want to work for M&S?
      Do you have any previous experience in retail?
      Describe your day from leaving home to coming to this room.
      When have you ever used your initiative?
      When have you ever changed something/rules/etc at work?

I can't remember the rest.

My feedback was great. I did really well. I got 3/4 and 4/4 on the interview questions. I had three people all interviewing me at once. The only thing they could give constructive feedback on, is that my interview answers could have contained more details - in relation to how others at my previous jobs viewed me or my ideas. Bit random. But I read their comments and assessment sheet and they did tick the box for me that said 'give offer'.

All in all it went great, and the guy even said I would be most likely so far to be hired.
      However I never got a call on the day he said they would call - if successful. I can only assume my rejection letter is in the post. So! If you don't get the job, don't assume it was you, because I KNOW I did good. :) Good luck.

Other notes:
      I took all my personal documents and CV etc. with me but they never looked at it once. Like seriously, they didn't know my age or education or anything.   1 Answer
    • When have you ever used your initiative?   Answer Question
    • When have you ever disagreed with rules/a situation and then done something about it?   Answer Question
    • Describe your day from leaving home to coming to this room.   Answer Question
    • Do you have any previous experience in retail?   Answer Question

Subject Matter Expert Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Interview

Interview through agency. Good background information given on requirements. Interview with two people from project team, one the line manager for the role, who asked the questions. The other was more an observer and did not ask questions. Very clear agenda given at the start of the interview. Chatty and reasonably informal, going through job history, then very structured around 4 key competencies chosen by interviewer from a longer list (did not share others), asked for one example of experience to cover each competency. Timed to an hour on the clock.

Interview Questions

• Questions around project and technical experience and working within a team. Nothing unexpected or designed to catch anyone out.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2011.

Interview

First the recruiter interviews and refers to company , the company HR takes the first round, then a assessment takes place with the Regional manager as per company norms. Then a personal interview with Regional Manager. Then a Interview with National Head Operations.

Interview Questions

• Case study assessment   1 Answer
    • The reason for leaving the previous job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No much scope for negotiation.