Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 18 Oct 2017

2.6

Warehouse Operative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bolton, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online was very easy but so long winded, after passing the online application which was basically a job application and video sketches with what you would do in that situation. Was invited to a interview which was basic 121 with a store manager, went really well was given all the signs that I've got the job, was told that someone would call to say you've got the job. No one bothered to call! I rang 3 times between 3 weeks to a month and half later, was told after after my 3rd call that the job was no longer available. Felt totally disrespected and mislead as if I hadn't called no one would of bothered to contact me. Total waste of time and very unprofessional! Week after my last call i got a email saying congratulations your a perfect fit for the role and we'd love you as part of the M&S team but unfortunately we have no vacancies available.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions, nothing you won't of heard before   Answer Question

Warehouse Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London Colney, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London Colney, England) in September 2017.

Interview

There is a few tests to do online to assess your match with the company/role, and then you get invited to an interview. On the interview day you will have a small task to do, sorting products in date order or something similar (role play if you've applied to customer assistant). If you pass that, you will sit with someone from HR, speak about available hours and you are shown all vacancies so can actually change from what you originally applied for. You will then get a tour of the warehouse/shop floor depending what you've applied for, and then an interview with your line manager. However my tour was done by the section manager and therefore we were speaking throughout and she didn't require a further interview. You sit and fill out paper work, get your uniform with a week, started the job on monday, had two days of training with other newbies and love my job! Very understanding, flexible and appreciative company who appreciates everyone!

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and had to do an online assessment. Pretty simple. Then I had to pick an interview slot. The interview was pretty straightforward, a role play exercise and some few questions.

Customer Experience Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in September 2017.

Interview

Went through a role play. If the role play is a success they go through to the interview but in my case they didn't because I was not able to go through the role play.

Interview Questions

• The role play was a situation where a customer was looking for squash but could not find it so I was told to offer alternatives.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Chelmsford, England) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied in July 2017, had an interview in August, the whole process took about 3 weeks. The online process was quite long but easy, and if you pass you get to choose an interview date straight after - be quick because these dates go very fast.
    The role play was actually a lot better than I thought, it was very relaxed, you just need to throw yourself into it and be confident, really get into the role. You are given all possible information and can look back at it if you want. I then passed this - eye contact is key, as well as upselling extra items like napkins - and could then do the interview. A tip is that if the customer is in a rush don't offer to order online for them. The interview felt very relaxed and casual - I think if you do really well on the role play they go a bit easier on you in the interview questions. Read up on the 4 i's and have an example for each - they do give a description of what each 'i' is if you cant remember. I was told I'd hear by the end of next week, but 2 days later I had a phone call to say I got the job. Unfortunately the job was posted as 'temporary' but didn't say how long for, and it was for a longer period of time than I could do and so I couldn't accept- this was really dissapointing as I actually enjoyed the interview and everyone seemed very friendly, seemed like a really nice place to work. I later received an email saying they would hold my application for 6 months which is positive, and a nice thing of them to do.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use an iPad?   1 Answer
    • What do you think a customer expects of a customer assistant?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you saw something that wasn't right and had to step in (integrity)   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you inspired someone   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you showed in touch qualities   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had an innovative idea   Answer Question
    • How did you get here today?   1 Answer
    • Which department do you think you would be best motivated to work in?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Very quick process. I applied online and was interviewed around 5 days later. I was interviewed by one of the store managers who was very friendly. She first asked me some general interview questions and made notes of my answers. She took me up to the shop floor to observe how I interacted with staff and customers. I approached different customers offering assistance and chatted briefly to any staff members I saw. I was then taken back to the interview room and was asked to fill out my details and my availability. I was then told that I had been successful. Overall the process took around 30 mins. Everyone was really friendly and the interview was relaxed so it was not at all intimidating.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

The interview consists of online tests, questionnaire, role play exercise (could be an unhappy customer and they want to see how you deal with them) and I personally got a manager's interview which was competency based (tell me about a time... type questions).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a great shopping experience.   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online and got an interview 2 days later i booked my time online. The interview was structured but i was asked simple questions based on integrity, innovation etc. Then after i was taken to the shop floor to interact with the customers. Then i was sent back to the interview room and was told that i got through and filled in the availability forms

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Went in about 10 minutes early, when i went to the customer service area they didnt sign me in - at the time i didnt even know i was supposed to be signed in- they took me down to the interview room, the interviewer was nice but she told me i had applied for stockroom assistant and i was really confused because the ad specifically said customer assistant and it entailed what the role consisted of. So, after she gave me a info about the stockroom role and what it was like and she mentioned that it involved heavy lifting. Before she showed me the stockroom area she said that if its not for you dont be scared to say that its not for you, so i told her straight away that it wasnt for me cos of recurrent back pain and she understood so she sent me back to the customer service area to sign out. So, i got there and they asked me where my green form was and i said that i didnt get one, so i just said nevermind and left it cos if i didnt sign in, how was i going to sign out??? They seemed quite unprepared to be honest.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in August 2017.

Interview

Started of with a role play where you had to ensure you found a solution to the customers query they tend to be difficult making it harder for you to find alternatives. Whilst you are role playing, another assessor is watching you. After your role play you do your interview, this is based on their 4 values (inspiration, integrity, innovation and in touch). You dont need to know these they explain beforehand but maybe a brief look before you attend might be good. They asked about 5/6 questions.

Interview Questions

• What isit about M&S that makes you want to work here ?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time youve used exceptional customer service ?   1 Answer