Marks & Spencer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 Dec 2017

2.6

Retail Assistant- Sales Floor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Boston, England).

Interview

Online assessment first which includes a three part assessment. If you pass this then you are invited for an Interview including a role play exercise. You are given information about the role play that you can study for 5 minutes first before it begins.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Chester, England) in October 2017.

Interview

I filled out an online questionnaire, was called into an interview. Interview was split into two stages- personal questions, and a roleplay. The interview questions were very random, but the roleplay was straightforward enough.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any M & S sandwich, which would you be?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you received bad customer service, your worst shopping experience.   Answer Question
    • If you were the employee, or the employee's manager, how would you handle the situation differently?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dorking, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Dorking, England).

Interview

Questionnaires online before a face to face interview. Face to face interview with one person who then did a role play with me. General questions afterwards. Offered a job but it the one that I applied for

Customer Assistant Slales Floor - Launceston Interview

Anonymous Employee in Launceston, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Launceston, England) in October 2017.

Interview

I arrived at the job centre in Launceston where , the interviews were being carried out. I was greeted by a female M& S employee who presented an endearing smile. I was taken to the interview and introduced to the interviewer, Sam also a current employee. He explained the process and very quickly made me feel at ease.

The process consisted of a number of questions being asked (see below) and a ten minute - role play in relation to food products. Another female employee (again made me feel at ease) explained the process and then acted as the customer whilst I acted as the customer assistant. Sam, was present in the room observing and taking notes. Once the role play was over I was given feedback.

I really enjoyed my interview today, it has been the first job I have applied for in some time. I am very grateful for the reviews from other people on glass door as it enabled me to prepare for my interview and feel comfortable. Thank you to Sam and the two female employees for making my experience a positive one.

I will know if I have a position on 23 October 2017 (so although I have ticked that I was offered a job, I will not know until the 23rd. There isn't an alternative option to tick)

Interview Questions

• Q. Tell me a little about yourself?

A.

Q. What is your understanding of the role that you have applied for?

A.

Q. What previous experience do you have?

A.

Q. What do you think your biggest challenge will be in this role?

A.

Q. Give an example when you have had to use your integrity.

A.

Q. Give an example when you have been innovative.

A.   Answer Question

Christmas Temp Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Sheffield, England) in October 2017.

Interview

First you have to fill out an online questionnaire and general questions about the role and if you’re successful with that stage it will immediately tell you to pick an interview time. At the interview it is a very relaxed and welcoming atmosphere i never once felt too pressured which surprised me because this is my first job. One member of staff will ask you basic questions and then they will leave the room to assess what you said and then come back and tell you if you were successful and if you are you will move onto the next stage which is the role play exercise. A different member of staff will collect you and escort you to another room where they run through the scenario and then leave you to take notes of what the customer is looking for. For mine she wanted a suit jacket that was out of stock and she was acting in a hurry so it can cause you to panic but just try to focus and listen carefully to what they want. Ask questions such as “what is the occasion” or “what size/colour are you after” and also make sure to try and sell them any other products and mention any promotional offers. All the information you need is given to you and you’re allowed to look at your notes during the roleplay you just have to be friendly and patient with the customer. Whilst the roleplay takes place another staff member is taking down notes which they both then leave the room to score your performance. Whilst they are gone you have to fill in a self assessment sheet where you state where you feel you went wrong and how you would improve. Really try to sell the customer the products and offer to call other branches as this is what i forgot to do. Overall it is a very relaxed atmosphere and the staff are very lovely and friendly and guide you through everything. They then tell you if you have passed the role play and then you go to discuss uniform and shift hours and details like that. I’m very excited to start working there as the staff made me feel at ease and treated me very well and were very reassuring and kind.

Interview Questions

• The 4 M&S I values - “when was a time when you were innovative/inspirational/in-touch/integrity”   Answer Question
    • “What is the definition of the role of a customer assistant”   1 Answer
    • “Why do you want to work for M&S?”   Answer Question
    • “What makes you suitable for the role?”   Answer Question

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Preston, North West England, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Online assessment initially, once passed then you have to book a face to face interview at your chosen branch where the job vacancy is.
    Be aware that the interview places book up extremely quickly !
    M&S do regularly post new vacancies on-line so keep an eye out for these - I saw my vacancy,went to book an interview & there were only 2 times left.
    Face to face interview for myself, was the questions first - based around the 4 i’s M&S use, so learn these from their website ; questions were relatively straightforward.
    Next I had the role play ; you are given a brief and 5 mins to prepare- again relatively straightforward- just read all of the brief - the answers are in there !
    Lasted about 10 mins max, my advice is to go with it and listen to the “customer”, which incidentally was a member of staff and overviewed by the interviewing manager.
    After a 10 min wait I was offered a role and discussed work shifts, availability etc.
    Overall a good relaxed process.

Interview Questions

• 4 questions based around the 4 i’s M&S use - you can find these on their website; they were also on a stand up display in the interview room.
      Make sure you prepare fully !
      Use their website and drop in the fact you’ve looked by using some relevant fact.
      I went to the store the day before my interview to make sure I knew where to report on the day and check out the store window displays etc....which I dropped into the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bournemouth, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bournemouth, England) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied for a temp Xmas job. First I had to do a role play with 2 people, one played the customer and the other took notes. She was looking for a suit jacket which was out of stock. They're looking for you to suggest getting delivered from another store next day. Then a manager came in to do the interview part.

Interview Questions

• They asked about a time when I had to get attention of an audience (relating to their In Touch value!)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland) in October 2017.

Interview

I have interviewed and been successful for m&s on 3 separate occasions at different stores. Today I interviewed for a job at a store I had never worked at before. Same as the others, I went to the customer assistant desk where I was taken to meet the employee who'd be interviewing me. Then I was taken to a small office where the interview took place. Firstly I was asked a bit about myself and the experience I had. I was then explained the role play task by the interviewer and provided with materials for the task, a piece of paper and a pen and given 5 minutes. My task was working in a store where a customer is seen at the deli area looking around for the last 10 minutes and catches your eye. I approached the customer and asked if I could help him in any way. The information was provided allowing me to offer a number of things e.g. A list of items available at the deli. Then I asked different questions to get an idea of what was needed- food for a party, how many people, any vegetarian? Any allergies? I offered the party food selections and discussed the prices and availability of these etc. Also we spoke about alcohol and other bits and bobs for a party. I offered online order to customer. The party was 2 days time and it was 7pm after deadline time therefore I could not offer next day delivery for the customer but delivery to store on day of party. The occasion was his parents 30 year anniversary- personal touch i congratulated them and spoke about how it'll be a great day and we can get this all organised for them. Being friendly, confident and proving good customer service is the most important things. I was told I was successful and met with a manager. She seemed very happy with me, my confidence and my experience. I then filled out some forms and was told I will be called to tell me what contract I will be working.

Interview Questions

• Availability, start date, experience, and just a general chat with the manager   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Merry Hill, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Merry Hill, England) in October 2017.

Interview

First, you have to complete about an hour long online questionnaire which basically tests how you interact with the public as a potential customer assistant (always remember: always put customers first/make them happy). Once you're successful with that, you can choose your interview slot but remember first come, first served, so the faster you complete it, the more slots you can choose from. Then you go to the interview on time and may do a role play first or after the interview, I had the interview first and the role play after. During the interview, my interviewer, who was a manager, was writing my response down so I had time to collect myself a little without being stared at. The interview questions are based on the 4 I's so make sure to know them and think about examples of your own for the 4I's (inspiration, innovation, integrity, in touch). After the interview, they tell you if you passed the interview after like 5 minutes. The role play was simple and quite straightforward because you have instructions in front of you and a pen an paper for you to not stuff down. The role play happens in the interview room. After that they leave you for like 10-20 mins to discuss whether you were succesful or not. Then they talk about your hours, flexibility, your pay, uniform and you fill form out and they tell you your next steps.
    It was my first job interview so I was nervous but remember to stay calm and have water if it's your first too. Goodluck to everyone.

Interview Questions

• How was your journey/what was it like?   Answer Question
    • Has there been a situation where you had to interfere in something?   Answer Question
    • Was there ever a time where you came up with an idea and it being used, and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever inspired anyone?   Answer Question
    • Question about something to do with feedback/talking   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied for the Bromley branch, staff were super nice and the whole process took around 1h30. Unlike others I didn't get a role play section of the in-store assessment, this may be due to the fact that I applied for the events team, which I learnt later. So I was taken down to the shop floor and my job was to go around and greet customers politely and ask "hi, can I help you with anything". I was successful a couple of times in identifying customers that needed help, however it became awkward because when I did I had to call the lady that was supervising/shadowing me, to answer their question. This lasted for about 15 minutes and then I was taken up to a room for my interview with the manager. I sat down with the manager who was also super nice, where I learnt that I had applied for the events team, she said I was great but didn't have the right attributes to be a host, so she found me a vacancy in the childswear department. I spoke to the section manager, she was happy to take me on, I filled out a form, signed some documents and was told the information about my induction day.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for M&S?
      What do you think is good customer service?
      Questions on the 4I's:
      - Can you tell us a time you showed integrity?
      - Can you tell us a time you inspired someone?
      - Can you tell us a time it was important to be in-touch?
      - Can you tell us a time you were innovative?
      Flexibility?