Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 May 2018

2.5

79 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Northampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Northampton, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Online application and questioning online before invited to interview. Interview involved a 10 minute role play with 5 mins prep time where information given. Interviewer supportive and gives prompts. Then told if passed role play and feedback given before interview. Interview focused on the 4I's and your view of the role of a sales assistant. Was offered job on the day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Maths test (very easy, but I was very nervous and scored 2 out of 10 which is joke consider I study maths at degree level -_-) don't think your results really matter

Standard interview questions just bang on about how much you like the company

I was the only person to show up to my interview so I didn't have to do the role play exercise. It was supposed to be a group interview.

I have facial piercings and multiple ear piercings and haven't had to take them out at all for this job, they haven't even been mentioned

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone was moaning about a long queue?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about M&S?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about food safety?   1 Answer
    • Did you find it easy to get here today?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in July 2017.

Interview

I just finished my interview, well pretty much only got to the role play and didn't get through to the interview. It was quite scary but the overall staff were very kind and welcoming, just make sure to always have the customer in mind and ask if there's anything else that you could help them with afterwards. Also don't panic like me, because they can certainly tell. They did also give me great feedback and things that I did well and that I could improve on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Reading, England) in July 2017.

Interview

The whole process was quit easy, but I have to wait for a long time for the branch to get back to me. They should try to keep to what they advertised online. but the role I applied for , was not the role offer to me at the interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Very quick process. I applied online and was interviewed around 5 days later. I was interviewed by one of the store managers who was very friendly. She first asked me some general interview questions and made notes of my answers. She took me up to the shop floor to observe how I interacted with staff and customers. I approached different customers offering assistance and chatted briefly to any staff members I saw. I was then taken back to the interview room and was asked to fill out my details and my availability. I was then told that I had been successful. Overall the process took around 30 mins. Everyone was really friendly and the interview was relaxed so it was not at all intimidating.

Anonymous Employee in Dunfermline, Scotland

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Dunfermline, Scotland) in October 2016.

Interview

In a very small room, taken one by one to be interviewed. Not a very friendly interview, feel like you've got the spotlight on you for the whole time and not in a good way. Very intimidating.

Interview Questions

• What do you think makes M&S more appealing than other stores?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in West Thurrock, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (West Thurrock, England) in July 2016.

Interview

Easy interview. Asked a few questions but was more of an informal chat. Then was given a document about which items are in stock and had to role play a situation where I was helping a customer who wanted an item that was out of stock. Got offer on day of interview and started a couple of weeks later.

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Glasgow, Scotland) in October 2016.

Interview

First of all you give your details and they copy them, after that you are given a portfolio with their services and products. you have 30 minutes to prepare yourself about a real life scenario. And you have to include as many as possible services of the portfolio. After that you interact with the interviewer and the scenario takes place.

Interview Questions

• How do you approach a customer who clearly seem like lost and trying to find a product.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in September 2017.

Interview

There was a role play followed by interview questions. I was interviewed separately by two people. It was a genuinely friendly and warm experience. A highly recommended employer to work for.
    It has excellent benefits and training once you are employed.
    The colleagues all want to do the right thing and that is simply to help the customers.
    The customers are at the heart of everything.

Interview Questions

• How did you travel here today?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2017.

Interview

After turning up, I was told there had been a miss-hap online and that the role I thought I'd applied for, was no longer available. So did the assessment anyway and passes, but was put on 'hold' for their own mistake online. Once on 'hold', you're up against everyone else on 'hold' scrapping for the same job. The recruitment process is not a simple matter of applying for a job, interviewing for it and then getting it. The whole notion of not really being sure of what you're applying for and then being left on 'hold' until you find something suitable, is really inefficient and totally wasted my time.
    The whole process is an absolute shambles, so went and got a job at Waitrose instead.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.