Marks & Spencer Sales Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 30 Sep 2017

2.6

61 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in September 2017.

Interview

There was a role play followed by interview questions. I was interviewed separately by two people. It was a genuinely friendly and warm experience. A highly recommended employer to work for.
It has excellent benefits and training once you are employed.
The colleagues all want to do the right thing and that is simply to help the customers.
The customers are at the heart of everything.

Interview Questions

• How did you travel here today?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Very quick process. I applied online and was interviewed around 5 days later. I was interviewed by one of the store managers who was very friendly. She first asked me some general interview questions and made notes of my answers. She took me up to the shop floor to observe how I interacted with staff and customers. I approached different customers offering assistance and chatted briefly to any staff members I saw. I was then taken back to the interview room and was asked to fill out my details and my availability. I was then told that I had been successful. Overall the process took around 30 mins. Everyone was really friendly and the interview was relaxed so it was not at all intimidating.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2017.

Interview

After turning up, I was told there had been a miss-hap online and that the role I thought I'd applied for, was no longer available. So did the assessment anyway and passes, but was put on 'hold' for their own mistake online. Once on 'hold', you're up against everyone else on 'hold' scrapping for the same job. The recruitment process is not a simple matter of applying for a job, interviewing for it and then getting it. The whole notion of not really being sure of what you're applying for and then being left on 'hold' until you find something suitable, is really inefficient and totally wasted my time.
    The whole process is an absolute shambles, so went and got a job at Waitrose instead.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in July 2017.

Interview

I just finished my interview, well pretty much only got to the role play and didn't get through to the interview. It was quite scary but the overall staff were very kind and welcoming, just make sure to always have the customer in mind and ask if there's anything else that you could help them with afterwards. Also don't panic like me, because they can certainly tell. They did also give me great feedback and things that I did well and that I could improve on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Reading, England) in July 2017.

Interview

The whole process was quit easy, but I have to wait for a long time for the branch to get back to me. They should try to keep to what they advertised online. but the role I applied for , was not the role offer to me at the interview.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Firstly, there was a phone conversation: details checked, suitability/flexibility, and MCQ with customer service scenarios. They were not hard- common sense, but confusing over the phone- have a pen & paper to write down answers. Right there and there, after MCQ is passed I was scheduled for interview.

However, the 1:1 interview was pure hell. I came in early thinking early is better than late (20 min early), but was told to leave and come back in 20 minutes. I went for a walk and came back, they sat me in the changing room, where I waited again for the interviewer. The interviewer didn’t introduce herself until we got to the “interview room” which meant a very awkward long walk with a stranger. We got to a tiny & stuffy room, where no water or even a smile was offered. The interview took over one hour (!!!) which for a lower position like that is outrageous. First part regarded experience in different areas- felt belittling, as I explained different areas of experience in both work and academia, transferable skills and so on (as you do in interview), the interviewer made sure that I could see “NO” as it was written down. But that was not all, there were at list 7 pages of questions to deal with- firstly the interviewer read the questions out loud very slowly as if for first time in life (can understand that) but on top of that wrote everything… Word. For. Word. So, after each question there was at list few minutes of VERY uncomfortable silence, where EVERYTHING was written down. Didn’t know what to do with myself, where to look. During all that the interviewer barely made eye contact, read questions of the page, asked on many occasions to repeat what I have just said. A lot of sighs and eye-rolling with every answer. Questions were very badly designed too, with overlapping competencies, some of them were very long, some even had up to four parts to answer in one- try answering that and then repeated the same answer twice. Took me a whole day to recover from that.

After all that effort and experience that felt like interrogation I got call next day that I “passed” the interview stage but they do not have available contracts to offer me at the time, so they will hold my details until they need me. Very disappointed and confused, why interview people if you have no vacancies to offer?

Anonymous Employee in Northampton, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Northampton, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Online application and questioning online before invited to interview. Interview involved a 10 minute role play with 5 mins prep time where information given. Interviewer supportive and gives prompts. Then told if passed role play and feedback given before interview. Interview focused on the 4I's and your view of the role of a sales assistant. Was offered job on the day.

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in May 2017.

Interview

Maths test (very easy, but I was very nervous and scored 2 out of 10 which is joke consider I study maths at degree level -_-) don't think your results really matter

Standard interview questions just bang on about how much you like the company

I was the only person to show up to my interview so I didn't have to do the role play exercise. It was supposed to be a group interview.

I have facial piercings and multiple ear piercings and haven't had to take them out at all for this job, they haven't even been mentioned

Interview Questions

• What would you do if someone was moaning about a long queue?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about M&S?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about food safety?   1 Answer
    • Did you find it easy to get here today?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in March 2017.

Interview

Manager took me upstairs. There was a roleplay that you had to memorise cards for. Basically something is out of stock. I found a solution for the customer but they didn't put me through to the actual interview as I didn't show enough personality or didn't upsell £100 worth of stuff

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

I had a phone interview which was easy enough. Simple multi choice questions related to customer service. This was followed by a face to face interview. The face to face interview was very intimidating. Two women were interviewing me and it felt more like an interrogation. There was a role play that seemed completely irrelevant to the job I was applying for. Didn't feel comfortable at all

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.