Marks & Spencer Section Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 Nov 2017

3.2

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England).

Interview

Interview day at an office in central London. Was one of 8 candidates that day. Each asked to enter the room and a test was conducted (this role was Deli Counter so technical knowledge test here). then individual interview in front of a panel of 3 senior members of the business.

Interview Questions

• Experience in other retail outfits. Passion and desire seemed key traits   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Section Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2017.

Interview

Very detailed & time consuming. Initial application with many multiple choice scenario based questions, which if you get past moves to a video interview with more specific role based questions. Once you get past this you are invited to an Assessment Centre which is composed of 3 tasks - a role play, dealing with a member of staff who has some 'issues'. I felt the M&S employee playing the role was being far too difficult & made the task totally impossible. There was an analytical presentation where you were given lots of detail on a fictional store scenario & you had to present what you would do to improve sales based on the information provided. followed by an interview. The 3rd aspect was a supposed competency interview however it was 4 questions based on M&S values to see if you would fit in to their business. My main issue was the length of time I was left hanging around in a room on my own. I was there for a total of 4 hours & only with someone for half that time - so no respecter of a candidates time. All M&S employees present were female & I feel that put me at a disadvantage before we had begun. No offer made as I feel my salary expectations were too high for what they wanted to pay.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in April 2017.

Interview

There were there were three exercises, an interview which explored my retail experience, an analytical exercise which looked at how I use commercial information and a coaching role play which looked at my management style.

Interview Questions

• How effectively do you think M&S business as a whole competes in the current retail market?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Norwich, England) in January 2017.

Interview

interview then asssesment 4 parts in it reasonable easy , the hiring managers are store managers from around the area , they follow the noral path in questioning and presentation they will keep asking you after you have complteted a task ' would you have done it any different now with what you know'

Interview Questions

• why apply for marks and spencer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Manchester, England) in August 2016.

Interview

After submitting your application and CV, you have a small number of metrics and competency questions online. After that there is a webcam-video interview. If you're successful at this point you get invited to an assessment and interview which overall takes 3 hours. Interview is about your expectations, skills and how you fit with the M&S values. Assessment involves an analytical task (ie. commerciality, numbers, problem solving, planning), and a roleplay exercise (typically involving an underperforming employee). You are emailed preparation work for these the day before. Really detailled but friendly and transparent approach. Thy make the job seem too good to be true, but as it turns out - they aren't lying!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time in your current role when you have inspired change in people or process, and how you came to do this?   Answer Question

Section Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2013.

Interview

Made of 3 parts, role play, an analytical presentation and a competency based interview. The role play was a coaching exercise and was to do with how you would deal with an awkward employee who was older. The employee was refusing to work any extra hours and would only work on a particular department.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.