Marsh & McLennan Companies Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Marsh & McLennan Companies Interview Questions

Updated 3 Oct 2018

2.8

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Austin, TX (US)) in February 2010.

Interview

I was hired via a temporary agency contracted by Marsh. After a trial period that included extensive and detailed training specifically for the position, I was offered a permanent position with Marsh.

Placement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Multiple interviews with numerous collegues. My first interview I met with 8 different people in small groups (2 at a time). Based on my prior industry experience (12+ years) most of the questions were about getting to know me. I was invited back for a second interview with upper management level collegues. Similar to the first interview session as I met them in small groups and was mostly asked about my working style, challenges I've faced in the work environment, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe the biggest challenge you faced in your prior job. How did you address and find resolution to the challenge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation is through a 3rd party that Marsh uses for hiring and backround checks. The process was easy as they agreed to the terms I asked for. Conduct a backround check.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies.

Interview

A phone and then 2 in person interviews. The people that I spoke to were very nice and open about the company. At times I felt I was asking more questions about the company than they were about me. Would have been a nice place to work; however, I received a better offer elsewhere.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Boston, MA (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

They used an software app for interview, it was pretty awkward. you are basically just looking at the camera and talking to yourself. However, you can practice multiple times before you actually interview.

Interview Questions

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

19 Dec 2016 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am sorry that the video interview felt awkward for you. It certainly feels that way if you haven't done it before.

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Columbia, SC (US)) in December 2016.

Interview

I arrived on time but sat in the front area for approximately 10 minutes before the interviewer, a supervisor in that department, came to get me. The email stated to dress formal so I arrived in a nice, navy blue pants suit. However, the interviewer had on jeans and a sleeveless casual top. Evidentally, there's no dress code. The interview consisted of a few questions but more so the job description which consisted of several different roles in one. The interviewer told me they needed people badly and right now, everyone is a bit overworked and the environment is a bit chaotic. (Paraphrasing). I was concerned about that part but I'm a hard worker and am used to challenges so I didn't scare easily. Anyways, three months later I received a rejection email.

Interview Questions

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

31 Mar 2017 – Global Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. Each of our office locations have a different dress code. It never hurts to be overdressed for an interview! I am sorry to hear that this opportunity didn't work out... More

Client Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Chicago, IL (US)) in June 2008.

Interview

Conversational, skills and knowledge based interview style.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to a client expressing their dissatisfaction?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple. In the form of a letter with salary and laid out bonus plan.

Client Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Dallas, TX (US)) in July 2010.

Interview

I applied online for the Client Advisor position. I was contacted one week later by the recruiter for a preliminary phone interview. She asked me about my experience, my responsibilities at my previous position, why I left, and why I was applying at Marsh. The phone interview went well and at the end of the conversation she let me know that she would give my information to the manager for review. She informed me of the salary and asked me if it was in my range. I really appreciated that she gave me that information up front so that there were no surprises later.
    I had an in-person interview with the manager a week later. The manager asked me about my experience and my responsibilities at my previous position. She asked me to explain instances of resolution conflict at my previous job. She explained the responsibilities of the position I was interviewing for and what the day-to-day was like. The interview went well.
    The recruiter scheduled a second in-person interview with the office head and zone leader. This interview was the most difficult. The zone leader asked challenging questions and asked for examples of resolution conflict at my previous employer. I had to prove why I would be a good candidate for the position and really sell myself to the zone leader.
    I was contacted two days later to continue the hiring process with the recruiter which led to an offer.
    Overall the experience was enjoyable. I am very happy with my new position and highly recommend interviewing with Marsh. It was by far the most professional and most challenging interview process I have experienced. Many companies could learn a lot from the Marsh interview process.

Interview Questions

• Explain an instance where you resolved a customer complaint that made them happy with you and with the company.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The recruiter and I agreed to a salary that I could accept but wasn't completely satisfied with. They had a tight salary window that was difficult to negotiate. The recruiter came back with a slightly higher salary for the final offer that I really appreciated.
    My advice is to be willing to negotiate but be up front and honest if you're not totally satisfied. I didn't play hardball and in the end the recruiter helped me out.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Hoboken, NJ (US)) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied online, received a call from HR. Initial phone interview was basic walk through of resume and then provided information of the position. I was then invited in for a group interview. Very friendly atmosphere. A few weeks later I had another interview with manager, big difference from the first interviews. She was rude and did not seem to know what was going on. Everything she said contradicted previous interviews in regards to the position and where they were in the hiring process. After the call I never heard anything which, judging by the impression I got from the hiring manager, was a blessing.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (New York, NY (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

HR phone screen followed by in-person interviews with team.

The team was very nice and the conversations went well. Talked about background of group, goals and outlook of the position and team.

However, poor communication throughout process in terms of updates. After reaching out to HR for updates on the status of the position weeks after the interviews, was told they would be in touch during the week. A week later, had to reach out again to follow up and was told verbatim from previous response that they would be in touch. Meanwhile, according to the MMC website career section, the position is "inactive" and no longer taking submissions. So either HR is misleading to imply the process is still ongoing or the position has been filled already without any communication.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Atlanta, GA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Note: I truly think Mercer is a great company that I would love to work for despite my experience. I can tell the people that work there are genuine and caring; which is rare. General Process: Submit online application and recruiters at corporate will sift through the applicants. If they like you then HR calls you and schedules a phone interview. They usually do a few phone interviews, aptitude test(s), then an in person interview or HiVue interview if you're remote. This was a 2 hour interview with 4 interviewers having a budgeted 30 mins with each applicant. I wonder the effectiveness of jaded interviews. Those who interview are not actually recruiters, so they have a bunch of other responsibilities they need to get to... I imagine they want to do things that help them keep their job moreso than focus on an applicant trying to answer a question correctly.
    My experience: The process lasted 3 months. I was a referral from a respected employee and enjoyed visiting with the employees I interviewed with. The high level of ambiguity during the interview process was difficult. Long story sort, I made it to 2 final round interviews (the latter interview suggested after the original final round interview). HR sent me emails to links with the wrong job description attached so I literally was not sure what job I was interviewing for since different emails were saying different things. Mercer was impressed enough for me to be a "runner-up" to a senior position that they would move me to an entry level position to gain a proper foundation. I loved this about them! However I found it odd that they would not seek clarification of my responses to their questions nor give me any feedback after denying me twice.

Interview Questions

• "Are you looking to re-locate?"   1 Answer
    • What is your expected salary?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.