Merck Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Merck Interview Questions

Interviews at Merck

2.9

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenilworth, NJ (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Merck (Kenilworth, NJ (US)) in July 2015.

Interview

They put me in a conference room and 5 interviewers took turns coming in the room. Questioning was not intensive but they all asked the same thing. It didn't come across that they were trying to see if I would say the same thing, rather they were just winging it and asking the usual questions. But they made me feel very comfortable and no games.

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Merck in February 2018.

Interview

I spoke with several interviewers. Although we did speak about my experience in reviewing regulatory documents the questions were not in any depth. They seemed to be more interested in my personality and perhaps my 'fit' for the position within their group.

Interview Questions

• Describe some of the regulatory documents you have had charge of in the past.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Interviewed by the potential district manager. They wanted to see how you would react on the spot, for example: "how would you sell me this pen?". They were looking for strong soft skills, and the ability to interact with many different personalities. A positive attitude plus a very competitive edge combined with the potential to lead among district members (usually 12) was a winner.

Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Merck (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in April 2016.

Interview

It was by far one of the best interviews I've ever been through. All the managers at Merck are very professional, smart, driven, and comforting. Coming from someone who doesn't have any pharma experience, it was nice to have them ask questions about my background rather than questioning my inexperience. Remember to keep positive and motivated!

Pharmaceuticals Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merck (Miami, FL (US)) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a behaviour-based interview, the hiring manager was very nice, be prepare to give a lot of examples, during the interview they paid attention to your body language, so you have to stay positive and it will be much easier to project your confidence. After the first interview ended i had the next one the same day, it was someone on the phone, it was much more difficult than the face to face one, so i had to give additional examples.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to make a quick and unexpected decision   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Merck in December 2014.

Interview

No phone screen. Asked to interview in person for a position that needed filled quickly. Met with two gentlemen, one was much more laid back and "down to earth." The other asked a series of "typical" questions (describe a time when you had experienced a conflict at work and how you resolved it). Refer to the STAR format...it works. Decision was made in a week. I was second in line, but given I didn't have pharm sales exp prior, the other candidate was extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time (at work) that your ethical/moral compass was challenged and what you did?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Very long and arduous. We were brought into a hotel with different shifts of interview. We individually met with two different hiring managers- not necessarily your own. This was on top of several initial phone interviews. Then I met with my hiring manager separately and then had to wait for approval etc. It took a total of 2-3 months- including the offer- by the time I went off to training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not too bad. The manager offered me one amount- I came back with another and he met me a number we could both agree upon. I was instructed to do this by a current employee who did not counter-offer and was not happy she didn't. Too many people want the job so bad- they jump at the initial offer. Of course they aren't going to give you the best offer up front- and after all of this interview process- aren't going to turn you away without at least saying no. At least you tried and they will remember that. It shows tenacity.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Merck in June 2009.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 DMS individually, then an interview with the Regional a ride along and then came the offer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Merck.

Interview

Now using InVentiv and Publicis for all external hiring. STAR format used for all interviews.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time that you have tried and failed?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little room for negotiation. It used to be based entirely on your current salary, now I think it is a standard amount... regardless of whether you are making more than that- take it or leave it because they have so many people looking for a job. Internal sales reps that move to different sales divisions are now considered lateral moves with no raise in pay.

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Merck (Kansas City, MO (US)).

Interview

It was through a third party and consisted of various paperwork, a phone call interview, a video recording answering questions on the spot, and one final 40 min interview with the territory manager.

Interview Questions

• "If you had a rare opportunity to give a presentation in front of your district manager, but your presentation was not quite ready, it just wasn't up to pare, but it was still good. Would you reschedule your presentation or give it anyways?"

"Who is the most important person for you to talk to when you enter a physicians office?"

"How would you determine what the more important clinics are to go to first?"   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.