Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2012.

Interview

Signed on through career office. The interviewer was really straight forward and open about Microsoft. It started with soft questions like why do you want to work with us and what are your interest then he got into design questions.

Interview Questions

• Design a virtual voting system. I had limited practice with this and shot the question.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Had a 30 min on campus interview in which they asked me to design a phone for a 6 year old. The way design problems work is that the candidate is supposed to come up with several ideas and then the interviewer would steer the conversation in a particular direction, at which point you start brainstorming again. For example for the "design a phone for a six year old" i started out with reasons of why the kid would want a phone. Then the interviewer picked one and we continued the discussion on to features the phone would have.

For the 2nd round in Redmond, I had 4 interviews, three of which were an hour long and the lunch interview was 90 mins. They will make you feel extremely comfortable and will be very friendly. The interviewers talk to one another between the interviews so make sure to make a good impression on the first one (not that they are completely biased, but im sure it helps).
    (questions they asked me are listed below)

Be prepared to talk to them about your personal or school projects and how you "solved problems". List your projects on your resume so then they have an idea already and can ask you specific questions. All of my behavioral questions were from my resume - "tell me about the challenges you faced in this project", "tell me what you did in this project", etc

ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU START ANSWERING!! I cannot emphasize this enough. If its a technical question, ask what format the inputs are available in. If its a design question, put yourself in the shoes of the person working on the problem and ask appropriate questions. The interviewer will be vague on purpose, to see if you can ask smart questions and find out details about the project.

Interview Questions

• Find the angle between the hands of a clock..
      (Ask questions like, is the input a spring that i have to parse?, is the output the acute angle?, etc)   2 Answers
    • An airline carrier is losing a lot of bags. You have been assigned to help them out. What would you do?
      (see how vague this is.. you need to ask questions to clarify)   1 Answer
    • You are a startup trying to design a new mobile online music player.
      (startup => you need to differentiate yourself from the existing music players)   1 Answer

Negotiation

No need to negotiate, the offer and benefits are over the top already!

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Durham, NC (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume through a recruiter, then got a call for an on campus interview. The interviewer was not what I expected Microsoft to bring. He was quite, barely talkative, asked basic questions and would not look at you while you answer a question. I was asked couple of behavioral questions regarding my resume, followed by a programming question that asked to find the number of a certain character in a string and that was it. The trick was to understand the way you tackle a problem and how you would consider all possible situations.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft? Don't under estimate the power of this question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied on campus job fair. Got phone interview on second day. Then got on-site interview opportunity on second day. After three rounds on-site interviews including lunch interview from 8am to 1pm, I was told that there wasn't more interviews in the afternoon.

Interview Questions

• I didn't prepare for the algorithms, so I failed to write good algorithm. The interview questions weren't difficult.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2012.

Interview

I interviewed for PM position. They asked me about my experiences and told me to design a weather thermometer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with basic questions about how much experience I had.

Interview Questions

• Say you're a cobbler and I want to buy a pair of shoes... what would you do?   Answer Question
    • How would you design a children's alarm clock   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in October 2011.

Interview

The interviewer went over the position and what he requires. It then went on to be a fairly technical interview.

Interview Questions

• What were the toughest decisions you had to make in your role as a Team leader and what consequences did you think they would have ? However once you carried out the decisions what consequences did they actually have   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC (US)) in September 2011.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and prompted to apply online for project manager-public sector position and schedule a phone interview. Interviewer was senior-level HR and was very straightforward and somewhat abrasive at times. Typical behavioral-type questions with the exception of a few unique questions; asking you to explain a fairly basic technical subject (e.g. the internet, databases) to someone like a "child" or "your grandmother" and asking you to describe yourself (strengths/weaknesses etc..) from the perspective of a prior employer or peer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what your previous supervisor from two jobs ago (e.g. not your most recent supervisor) would describe as your three greatest weaknesses and how would your most recent supervisor respond to that and describe your three greatest strengths.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Tempe, AZ (US)) in July 2011.

Interview

Current employee submitted my resume. Had 1 hour phone "technical interview". Was then flown to Tempe, AZ for full day of interviews. Had four one hour interviews. Was told at end of day I would be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview started with background of the position and the department, as well as the purpose of the project. Then talked about myself for about 5-7 minutes. There were 2 situational questions asked at the end.