Natwest Customer Service Officer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Natwest Customer Service Officer Interview Questions

Interviews at Natwest

2.3

Customer Service Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Natwest in October 2016.

Interview

I just had a phone interview with RBS recruitment team.

First we went through my CV and then we moved to the second part of the interview which includes some numerical questions and competency questions. After the numerical part ended I have been told that I did not pass and I cannot apply for any roles with the bank for 6 months.

First, I would like to say that I am really surprised that I did not managed to pass this part since I believe it is really basic mathematics that I am capable of giving the correct answer. I am currently working as a cashier for a betting shop and I have to deal with these kind of scenarios in daily basis and I am always processing these kind of transactions manually and my till is always correct at the end of the day.

Also, I would like to add that the interviewer was talking quite fast which it was not the main issue, but, there were a lot of background sounds which is probably the only reason I can imagine and I misheard a number.

Overall the interview it was really nice up to that point which I think it does not represent my capabilities. I believe I can easily pass this kind of test any other time.

Interview Questions

• First we went through my CV and then we moved to the second part of the interview which includes some numerical questions and competency questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Natwest

Customer Service Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Natwest in December 2014.

Interview

It was quick and painless. 1 day after the online application they had shortlisted me for the telephone interview. Called them , the interview lasted about 45 minutes.

Two behaviour based questions were asked. I aced the first , but didn't do too well on the second

Anyone with sales experience do go for this role! Good luck

Interview Questions

• give an example of a time you provided excellent customer service   Answer Question

Customer Service Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Natwest in November 2014.

Interview

I had applied online through a job portal and the process just took two days. I received an email from RBS that I have cleared the initial stage and are invited for telephone assessment. The interview lasted for 45 minutes. The interviewer was really good. Before beginning with the interview he explained the job profile and other job details like salary, location and timings.

Interview Questions

• I was asked two questions which were competency based (scenario based). The questions were easy but make sure you are prepared with good examples and you should have the ability to answer them back if they are not clear with your example.
      So I was asked 1)Tell us the time when you offered excellent customer service? But he actually wanted to know what did you do out of the way to help the customer? What motivated me to help the customer? So basically it all depends upon what example you give. Please make sure you answer all your questions in the S.T.A.R format. (S-Situation, T-Task, A-Action, R- Results)

The second question which I was asked was-
      2)Tell us a time when you sold off a bank product? How did you do that? Were you successful in selling the product? What persuaded the customer to buy the product?

All I can say is that please focus on your examples and facts. Though I have been successful in my telephone assessment, I still have to undergo face to face interview. Keeping my fingers crossed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Natwest (Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England) in November 2014.

Interview

Had a telephone interview which was quite easy based on a couple of competency based questions and 2 numerical questions. First one was tell us a time when you have gone that extra mile for a customer and the other was tell us a time when you have had to hit a target. The maths questions were simple, if a customer wanted £300 in £20 notes how many would they have? Just have a calculator to hand, makes it very easy but be sure not to answer straight away!!

I was successful with telephone interview and was through to the next stage which was face to face. First impression make a difference so dress smart. Was interviewed by 2 people. First started off by telling about the role and then asked me why I was applying and what I knew about the role, so make sure u do your homework. Then was asked about myself and what I've done to date. Then came the compentcy based questions which weren't that bad but just make sure you know what you are talking about and have good examples. They were the same as the telephone interview but worded differently and more in depth.

After this I had to do a couple of practical tests, the first was to take 4 minutes to look at a bank statement and then was asked questions based on that like can you tell me when my mortgage goes out and how much for etc. Then was given another paper to read which was to sell a holiday!! Strange I know but was told they do this to see how well we communicate and address very important points.

That's it guys!! Good luck to all those who are taking the interview with Natwest

Interview Questions

• How I dealt with an angry customer   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rhyl, Wales

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Natwest (Rhyl, Wales) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online which was very quick and simple; also was required to carry out an extensive questionnaire which took 10 minutes. I was told I was successful and to progress I must ring the Natwest Recruitment centre for a telephone interview.

So I rang them and was told to ring back in 90 mins; which I did and it enabled me to prepare properly. However, I then rang the centre and was on hold for 25 minutes before interacting with anyone. The interview was very simple - CV check, employment history, simple arithmetic questions.

Now the next part was competency based questions; I have done a wealth of these before but this is by far the worst I have ever dealt with. They were very simply, but I felt completely unfairly treated with the question I was given. We had discussed in LENGTH my employment history (few part time jobs) and the fact I had been in full time education (university) for the past 3 years, therefore admittedly I had no real relevant experience. I may assume wrong, but I assumed she had a variety of questions she may have asked me? She asked me name a time you have persuaded someone to buy something and sold them a product. The only slightly relevant experience I had here was McDonalds. Therefore, I spent the next 5 minutes discussing in detail, my motivations/the scenario behind selling... a mince pie... Absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the lady on the phone was very impatient I must say which definitely doesn't put you at ease especially when you are unsure of where to go with an answer. I did request another question but she rejected my proposal.

Fair to say I wasn't offered a one to one interview. But it gets worse...

As a recent graduate, I am looking for a job just to tide me over until the next batch of graduate schemes next year. Having done an Accounting & Finance degree I really want to pursue a career in banking. The lady then informed me that due to the unsuccessful nature of the interview I would be unable to apply for ANY jobs related to the RBS group in the next 6 months.

I fully understand this is not her fault, but I am completely disgusted at this, I questioned her as to whether this would be in relation to any graduate jobs but she said unfortunately that is their policy. I am absolutely gutted about that, in terms of the job in question - not so bothered; the woman made it sound very monotonous and put me off Natwest entirely.

Interview Questions

• A few math questions - simple enough - but be prepared to engage your brain early on in the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Natwest (London, England) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied online via RBS website for the customer service officer role. I got an email the next day to book a telephone interview. I got a slot the following day. The interview was very simple. First she told me about the role and natwest slogan "helpful banking" then she asked me about my previous jobs and why I left. Then she asked me a few simple maths questions. She told me not to use a calculator and only pen and paper. The maths questions were simple (1) I got a 5% saving from booking my holiday which costs £1850, how much did I save. (2) A customer wants to cash his check of £360 and would like to withdraw it immediately and he asks for £20 bills, how many bills would make up £360. (3) The maximum loan we can give is 3 times the persons annual income, if the person earned £16500 how much can they borrow. Really easy questions.

Then she asked me competency based questions, she said I can use work related experiences or uni or other experiences and she told me to use STAR.
    (1) Tell me a time when you sold something to someone. What did you do for the customer and what was the outcome?
    (2) Tell me a time when you provided good customer service. What was the outcome?

For both questions she asked me how did I get information from the customer and persuade them.

She put me on hold while she benched marked the scores. I was successful and made it to the face to face interview. I was told by a friend who had the same job that I'm applying for that the face to face is relaxed and easier then the telephone interview.

All in all it was the best interview ever. So relaxed. Fingers crossed the face to face will be easy as well.

TOP TIP: write down the typical competency questions they might ask and your answers. Lay it all on a table and make the questions clear so you can refer to the right one quickly when they ask you. This really helped me a lot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you sold something to someone. What did you do for the customer and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you provided good customer service. What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.