New Relic Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

New Relic Interview Questions

Interviews at New Relic

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone screen. A few days after the initial phone screen, I had an hour long interview with the hiring manager. Shortly thereafter, I was given 48 hours to complete a take home assignment. The final step in the process was a day long panel interview consisting of conversations with cross-functional leaders within the organization.

Interview Questions

• How do you juggle input from customers, engineers, sales, and the general market?   Answer Question
    • Could you describe your general philosophy on roadmapping?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Relic (Atlanta, GA (US)) in September 2020.

Interview

I had a 30 minute video chat with a recruiter that went well.

I was supposed to have a 30 minute call with the hiring manager but she happened to be out for the day we scheduled so I spoke to a Technical Support Manager instead. That also went well.

They sent me the technical assessment. The wording of the prompt confused me a bit but I did what I thought was expected and I turned it in. They opted to pass on me after that.

The only thing that was negative is that you only deal with a recruiter via email so while I appreciate that he did get back to me to let me know they were no longer interested I can't ask what I did wrong without harassing him to be the messenger so essentially I gain nothing from the experience.

Interview Questions

• Why New Relic? Why technical support?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question
    • What got you into development?   Answer Question
    • After successfully installing the agent within your application, please take me through how you would handle a support issue. We provide most of our support via email, so you should approach this as a dialog with a customer. Imagine a scenario where a customer is describing how the New Relic agent doesn't appear to be reporting data when they deploy their application.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Relic.

Interview

First, call with the recruiter - Really great recruiting team knows a ton about the market and product and who they are looking for.

The second call with the hiring manager over video - Hiring manager showed up on time and immediately look uninterested. The first words are "I have contractors over" to work on my house. Ask me only one question to tell me about myself then went straight to do you have questions for me. I knew she wanted to end the call right then and there. I asked a ton of questions but essentially I was just dragging because she already made her decision. Not even 3 mins in and showed no respect for a candidate taking time off their day to interview. Either she didn't like my face or perhaps my ethnicity. Clearly she just wanted to get off the call to work with her contractors at her house during work hours.

Unprofessional. During COVID times, my entire family listened to this woman's ridiculously rude none interview. I will remember this.

Technical Role Interview

Interview

Recruiter reached out once and then I never heard from them again. Not even the courtesy of a rejection letter. It's a reflection of their corporate culture.

It's also important to note their lack of diversity in leadership position. The leadership drives culture and leadership positions seem to only be open to the non diverse.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The phone screening involved basic overview of the role and expectations and a high level explanation of the team and what they were looking for. There were questions on how I would implement different technologies that I had never seen and work with their large data stream.

Interview Questions

• what you would do if asked to use some tech you had no experience with   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Relic (San Jose, CA (US)) in August 2020.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by New Relic recruiter to schedule a phone screen. This was followed by a phone screen with the hiring manager. I then had an in-person panel interview conducted virtually. Overall it was a great experience with timely followups and scheduling. The whole process was very smooth.

Interview Questions

• What are New Relic values and how do they resonate with you   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic (Santa Clara, CA (US)).

Interview

Overall the process was really involving and drawn out (Gave a negative due to the amount of time needed from my side and then proving coding/ design ability and still getting rejected). Seemed like nice people and recruiter was outstanding in terms of coordination ( a bit of hickups early on) all the way to updating over phone the outcome. Given a take home related to designing a multi threading server with a set of functional long set of requirements. It took about 8 - 10 solid hours for coding , testing etc. weekend time. High level requirements also needed reliability , throughput etc The issue I had with the process is after tackling hours long coding exercise with skills on multi threading design and getting a positive feedback ( Have 10 years dealing with design and debugging multi threaded code) and testing for pretty high non functional requirements, their onsite face to face still had some senior engineer asking me to write a threaded code for printing numbers. It tells that they want to screen as heavily as possible for false negatives for coding and design skills or not sure what they are testing for. And, the data structure / design problem was pretty heavy to their domain problem which if you did not think about storing a function call stack in memory you might not do well. The design question was also pretty similar very close to their domain problem and interviewer I felt was always not sure about any answers given; maybe not sure about what he/she heard or maybe not happy with the answer. Was not helpful to carry the design conversation to where he/she was going with it. The interviewers' communication style was confusing me as a candidate on what they are expecting to hear was bad; It seemed like he/she wanted validate their confirmation bias on some design outcome. Either way if you don't want to spend days between take home(> 8 hours) and on site proving your skills and then maybe getting rejected don't waste your time with the process. The people and culture aspect seemed outstanding and like a very nice set of people. Managers seemed pretty thoughtful, seemed to care about mentorship of junior engineers but I think their input matters very little compared to engineers in the final outcome.

Interview Questions

• Design a data structure for storing a transaction trace (involving tree for storing method sub functions with statistics)   Answer Question
    • A multi threaded TCP server with some requirements on reliability, throughput etc. Needs understanding socket programming etc.   Answer Question
    • Design a system for keeping track of health of a website with streaming system design.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic.

Interview

- screen by recruiter
    - one hour screen by manager. Here we spoke about expectations on the take home. Manager said it is expected to turn it around within a couple days and in Java. I mentioned I hadn’t done Java and I’m concerned. He said it’s no big deal and I’ll still breeze right through the take home.
    - take home. Did not breeze through. Had to acquaint myself with locks, sockets, and lower level Java apis. Did not get any feedback on project aside from that it didn’t run to meet exact runtime expectations.

Did a similar type project in a language I’m familiar with for a different company and got called back. Lesson learned- don’t agree to learn and do any complex take home project in a language you haven’t touched before. I read on here that someone else had run into the same thing and didn’t heed the review so I hope this review helps anyone that’s just not familiar with Java or whatever your hiring team uses.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New Relic.

Interview

Interview Process was very smooth and completely remote
    - Phone interview with Recruiter followed by hiring manager interview in a week.
    - After 2 weeks had virtual final interview with team members for 3 hrs and I was able to see teams positive vibe and New Relic Culture during whole interview process.
    - Special thanks to Kiara Collins who helped me with BlueJeans issue during the interview and Beth Kern who always kept me updated on each steps.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were fair and focused heavily on Business process analysis and stakeholder engagement.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New Relic.

Interview

Fine - could have been better but ok. They moved very slowly which was annoying as I had other offers. The company seems to have a lot of change in management lately which scared me a bit as well.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.