New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 Oct 2017
1,115 Interview Reviews

2.4

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume through the career website of New York Life. Within two weeks, I got the invitation for the phone interview. The interview was mostly behavioral and just a few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to become an actuary? Why New York Life?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

It was pretty simple first interview. After that, the company host a little conference for us to introduce the potential the compensation can get. I think if you show your interest at selling and passionate about running your own business, you will have a big chance getting the job. After all, you are literally working for yourself.

Interview Questions

• What experiences of yours is going to help you perform well at this position?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fairly laid back, and not overly formal at the initial stage. The interviewer was focused on "walk me through your resume" questions, and behavioral questions. They were particularly interested in prior internship experience and leadership roles.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

SO far so good, Manager took a lot of time to answer all of my questions. They asked me about my background. Spend a lot of time explaining how the company system works

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process took longer than it should. I applied online and got a phone call a hour later. The phone call was to set up a phone interview. I set it up 3 day from the phone call. When the day arrived no phone call. This was because of the Hurricanes Irma. So I called them back and reschedule the interview. Didn't get a call on the day of second interview. So we rescheduled for another time. Finally got the call and the interview went smoothly. It was a basic phone interview. She asked about my resume and made me explain it in more detail. From there she would branch out and ask questions on my response.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

There was a phone screening call first, in which we discussed what they were doing and the relevancy of my experiences to their needs. This was followed by a face to face interview, where I met with the internal recruiter, a team of peers, and finally the hiring manager. The recruiter mentioned that the goal was to try to change the culture, but in five years of work the culture was not ready to accept change from within.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I knew anything about how annuities worked. They also asked detailed questions about my technical experience as a software developer.   2 Answers

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

Went into the office and talked to a current employee about how he was trying to start a team. I was told that there was no starting salary and that all my income would be dependant on commission. I was not interested in that so I wrapped up the interview and never contacted them again.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to take a job with 0 base salary and 100% commission?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Buffalo, NY (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

My resume got floated to them which resulted in a call by one of the HR reps. The rep was polite and seemed like he looked into my background fairly well. Overall very professional.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about what we do here?   1 Answer

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Norfolk, VA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

The first interview was simply to get to know me. The agent who conducted the interview was very nice and straightforward about what I would need to do in the job. New York Life very obviously wants to hire you if you will put in the hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals in your current job?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

It was about an hour minutes long. It was great to get to know the company. Though I didn't like the idea of selling life insurance, they emphasized possible growth within the company.