New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 May 2017
1,033 Interview Reviews

2.4

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

I spent 1000 dollars to New York for this interview. It was horrible, the interview was scheduled on 1:30pm, however, I wait more than 15 min for the HR to see me. At the beginning of interview, she asked me to tell about myself. After that, when I mention I'm international student. she said this position didn't provide the sponsorship. You can tell me this before I spent the money for hotel and flight. totally waste money and time for this interview.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA (US)).

Interview

In brief, this is a pyramid scheme. No compensation until you pass the licensure exam. They refuse to discuss compensation until 3rd round interview then quote you a 70k+/yr salary-zero guaranteed. Totally commission-based...some Republican drivel about "eating what you kill" (ad nauseam). Super entry-level.

Unless you really aspire to work in the CBD and wear a cheap suit to work, keep your service-industry job or gig with the girl scouts/Mary Kay cosmetics. I think there's probably more demand! Also you must have your own car so you can traverse the state like a Depression-era salesman in order to meet weekly/monthly sales targets.

Oh yeah, they run an intense background check on you after Round 1. I completed the same level of historical detail, addresses, and contacts when I applied for "Secret" clearance with the State Department! Absurd.

Interview Questions

• How would you find leads to meet your weekly/monthly sales objectives?   2 Answers

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process literately took forever.... (3 weeks to be exact and that was only round 2 ). The 1st interview was with a recruiter who was very nice and welcoming and made it seem like working for their company would be the best thing ever. However, after it was over she assigned me homework... Literally. The 1st assignment was to get 10 references... not 2 or 3.... 10 . They did not have to be professional they actually preferred it to be personal. after you completed that you'd have to read an entire booklet about N.Y.L and its history, products and their expectations of you. After you finished that you would have to complete another "self assessment" which has to be handed in during your second round interview. During the 1st round they briefly talked about salary information saying that the average is anywhere from $40,000-60,000 a year (entirely commission based ).

The second round interview now I had to wait 2 weeks to schedule ... I got there 10 min early and the guy was literately 25 min late because he was with a client . He Printed out my 1st online self assessment along with a script I'm supposed to follow and a bunch of more information about the company. He explained the salary in more details however the numbers were greatly different saying that the average is now $70,000- 80,000 in the 1st year and explained the league of averages and how it works out. When hes done rambling in circles about the same thing over and over again he finally ask me a few questions which i answered well . After our interview was over he gave me more ... you guessed it! Homework. this assignment now was to get 3 people to actually come in to the office be signed up for New York life( this is where your 10 references come in) . This did not work for me because i recently moved to Atlanta and none of my references could realistically come in. Id have to wait another 2 weeks to schedule another appointment and at that point i decided to terminate my interviewing process. Its very long and daunting. I did not graduate college to go back and do more homework. I did not enjoy. I would rate this entire process a 2 out of 5 stars. Not worth the time wasted.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Tacoma, WA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview started with a phone call. i was pleased to hear insurance was about people's needs and not about sales. We also talked about ethics and morals and doing what is right. And that insurance is about building relationships and trust. We also talked about support for new agents, training, benefits, etc. Just a very good interview. I was impressed

Interview Questions

• What's most important to you when working with clients?   2 Answers

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Eugene, OR (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

It's a long process. The first day they ask all about you, then talk about the company and give you a test to see if you can continue pursuing a career with NYL. Next time they ask more about you then you learn more about what NYL sells and how they do it. Gave up after this as it did not seem right for me

Interview Questions

• Name someone close to you and how would they describe you in 3 words   1 Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

They​ take you through a series of interviews, 4 in total. I only did the first one which was just to get to know you and for them to familiarize you with New York Life and the position you are applying for. They were friendly and welcoming. However, they should be more upfront about the fact that you are purely compensated by commission (i.e. no base salary). Because of that I chose not to continue.

Interview Questions

• What intrigued you about New York Life?   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (San Antonio, TX (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Four step process. I completed the first step and have to schedule the second. The second is where they explain how the company actually works so you can try and decide if the job is a good fit for you during the third step of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did you not start your own business before trying to get into the financial industry. I think they are wondering how you became interestedly getting into the business side of life. It is not a make or break question in the first interview. The first interview just seemed to be more of a friendly encounter. The second meeting is with your recruiter and manager from what I understand.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Milwaukee, WI (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a three part interview. I actually did my first interview on the phone and it went really well. The interviewer sold the job really well and I was very excited to be asked to come in for a second interview.

The second interview was not really an interview, but more like an informational meeting. You are bombarded with a lot of information about life insurance products and the compensation package. The compensation package is kind of confusing, but basically it is 100% commission, so if you don't sell anything, you don't make a lot of money. They also hint at the fact you will be "building a network" from your friends and family, and what this means is that you are going to bug your friends and family about life insurance to the point where they are annoyed with you.

Needless to say I declined to take the third interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you ask for the person to fully explain the compensation package because it seemed designed to make it seem better than it actually is.   Answer Question

Eagle Strategies Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter no more than 12 hours later. A phone interview followed which wasn't very difficult. Basic experience questions along with salary expectations. I was selected for an in person interview with three senior employees. First one was 2 on 1 followed by a 1 on 1 with the CVP. Since I was in a sales position at the time and was interviewing for a middle office position there was a lot of focus on why I was switching roles. At times it seemed to me they were dumbfounded on why I wanted this position. There were a lot of questions on customer service and account opening. As we parted ways I was told "good luck" in my job search so I knew I didn't get it.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA (US)).

Interview

Was very straight forward. Asked about being out going and a self motivator, and a lot of time was spent by them explaining operations. Not too many difficult questions, was a pretty basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours and stay late if it means you can make more money?   2 Answers