OVO Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at OVO Energy

2.8

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England) in March 2020.

Interview

Straight forward process however the internal recruiter's communication was very poor - he was slow to respond to my application in the first place and then never provided feedback on my interview. Disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Tell me about an app you really like and why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OVO Energy (Edinburgh, Scotland) in February 2020.

Interview

The process consisted of a screening interview via Hangouts and a 3 hour long on-site interview.

The screening interview was of an introduction to OVO, talk about my experience, solving a code challenge (agregale que usaron, era codility?) and some questions about what would I do to convert the code of the challenge into a service. Ie, testing (unit and integration), CI/CD pipeline, docker, monitoring, etc.

The on-site interview consisted of a pair-programming session, a system desing session and a behavioural interview.

The system design and behavioural interview sessions consist in designing a microservice solution for a startup company and the typical behavioural questions like what was your biggest challenge, how do you learn, what good practices do you follow, how do you approach a conflict, etc

Now for the pair-programming session... it's not really a pair-programming session. You need to solve six simple code challenges over a given set of data with 2 interviewers in about an hour.

My mistake here was to be concious of the time while trying to code each algorithm one at a time on the most performant way (O(N) for space and time) and talking through my thinking process and why I was doing things the way I was.

The feedback I got is that even though I aced the behavioural and system design sessions, I don't seem to know the basics on things like unit testing and design patterns based on the pair-programming bit of the interview.

If you are thinking on interviewing at this company, my advice for you during the pair-programming bit would be to focus on brute forcing the solution for each algorithm the fastest you can so you have a few minutes before the end to try to write a couple of unit tests and maybe split your code a bit more into classes.

My advice to the guys conducting the interviews at OVO: pay attention to what the interviewee says not only in your section of the interview but also in the other parts of the process. For the pair-programming test specifically, try to make it more consice and make clear exactly what you are after, the extra time won by the challenge being more consice would give the interviewee more time to focus on writing unit tests and splitting the code into classes or see if there is any commonality in the code and improve it if that's what you are after. And if you see the interviewee is straying away from your expectations, please tell them so they can adjust.

How can you come to the conclusion that "they don't know the basics of unit testing and design patterns" when during the phone screening the interviewee talked about unit tests, integration testing, a/b testing, building a ci/cd pipeline and more, and then on the onsite interview they talk about how they would solve the code challenges using TDD and following the SOLID principles, then goes and design a complete system using CQRS, Event Sourcing and polyglot persistence (and explains how and why), talks about good practices in code extensively etc etc, is still a mistery to me.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England).

Interview

Had a call after two weeks, the first week they didn't turn up and said we had technical issues.
    The second week, JavaScript tech screen by sharing my text editor asked 2 simple JS questions which I listed below the last one was a bit hard and non-relevant to any real-life programming scenario.

Interview Questions

• Given an array, return nth number of array elements.   1 Answer
    • Write a function which takes an array and number and if the number given is greater than array length then return from the beginning of the array.   1 Answer
    • Write a function which takes an array and number and if the number given is greater than array length then return element before last element.

for example take(['a', 'b', 'c', 'd'], 10) should return [a, b, c, d, c, b, a, b, c, d]   1 Answer

Talent Acquisition Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England) in February 2020.

Interview

Really awful experience - wasn't kept up to date with the process and had to chase them again and again only for them to email me telling me they had given it to someone else. I wouldn't recommend as they seem to be arrogant in the way they speak to candidates

20 Apr 2020 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your interview – we really appreciate it! A positive candidate experience is really important to us at OVO and we're sorry we couldn't provide one for you.

We're sorry you felt this way about how we communicated with you and that you had to chase us for an update on your application. Life at OVO is pretty fast-paced and we try our best to get back to candidates as soon as possible but sometimes this can take a little longer than expected.

We're always looking at ways to improve our hiring process and value any feedback to help us do this. We take your feedback on board and will use this to ensure we are improving the interview experience for future candidates.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

Had an initial phone call with HR on Monday; went over CV and motivations. Then invited to HQ in Bristol on Wednesday for a technical test. This involved a data manipulation exercise using Python and then writing some SQL queries. I was then invited to a 1 to 1 with the hiring manager the next day in the London office. Standard interview: went over my experience, motivations, and behavioural questions. That same day, I received a link to a psychometric test (verbal, numerical, verbal). I completed this the next day, and shortly received a call with an offer.

Interview Questions

OVO Energy Response

2 Apr 2020 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your interview – we really appreciate it! A positive candidate experience is really important to us at OVO so we're glad you enjoyed it.

Software Engineer - Industrial Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England) in December 2019.

Interview

I was sent a coding test to complete in a language of my choice. Upon completion, I sent it back and a couple of days later I found out that I had passed this stage.

The recruiter then phoned me to explain the role (not part of the interview process).

Had a phone interview with a Software Engineering about my past experience, how I like to learn new things etc.

Passed this stage and was invited to face to face interview which consisted of a 30 minute behavioural interview with the recruiter and 1 hour interview with the same Engineer I talked with on the phone going over my coding test and doing some pair programming.

I was told that I would recieve a phone call the next day about the outcome of interview, but this never happened. I emailed the recruiter later on in the week and found out that he had been on holiday. Whilst he was on leave another recruiter carried out an interview with another candidate and they were given the job as they "smashed" the tech side of the interview.

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OVO Energy (Edinburgh, Scotland).

Interview

Beware of trick–questions.

One Skype call, then a second round in their office. The brief I was sent to prepare for was – as I got feedback on in hindsight – a mock brief set up for me to tear apart, not to be used like they asked.

This trick–question tipped me off. I noted my assumptions about lacks in the brief on the day, but did not suspect to be set up like that in a trusted interview setting.

I found this part very unprofessional and unethical, not what I would expect from an UX interview. The UX Lead at OVO said this process works for them, so I don't expect them to take my feedback onboard and change anything.

Interview Questions

OVO Energy Response

26 Nov 2019 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your interview – we really appreciate it! A positive candidate experience is really important to us at OVO and we're sorry we couldn't provide one on this occasion.

We're sorry to hear that you felt you were tricked, this was not our intention with the brief. We're aware on this occasion that we initially read an incorrect brief at the start of the interview but this was quickly realised, rectified and time was given to consider the activity and address any queries.

Head of Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England) in November 2019.

Interview

Not exactly efficient, a fair amount of time lapsed between the various stages. Initial HR interview followed by a telephone interview with a Product director and finally a face-2-face interview, which included going through a case study and traditional interview. Body language and energy levels of two interviewers in the final interview was very poor, appeared to be a lack of interest from the start.

Platform Team PM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England) in October 2019.

Interview

I felt the process was efficient, they were highly communicative and the interviews themselves were fair. I knew the product was complex, so I was relieved that I wasn't really tested on my understanding of that. All my questions were answered.
    The take home task was was reasonable with well defined boundaries that was manageable in the time suggested. In the final interview I met the devs I would be working with - this was such a useful process and I'm so happy they included it!
    Pretty standard PM interview - Phone screen, video call with team lead, in person interview with team lead and product director (take home presentation and whiteboard), meet and chat with devs, online reasoning test.

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OVO Energy (London, England) in September 2019.

Interview

I applied directly to the company after seeing an ad on a website. The whole process took about 3 weeks. I initially had a call with an internal recruiter who described the job to me and asked what my expectations were. I was then sent a full job description which stated what skills the company expected me to have and what my responsibilities would be.

The first stage was an hour long Google hangouts interview. The person interviewing me was not relevant to the job I had applied for, and therefore I was not able to get meaningful answers to any question I had because he was answering from his own teams perspective rather than the one I would be joining. This interview also consisted of me writing code while the interviewer watched. I found this to be very strange as I had never heard of a non face to face interview where you are expected to just sit there and write code. I suppose this could be because the interviewer was a software engineer himself and couldn't think of many questions to ask around the actual job I would be doing so instead asked about a software engineering role instead.

After this stage I had a ~4 hour interview on site. I had to find my own way to the reception area as it was not made clear to me beforehand that I would have to wait for a random employee to let me in as they were walking by. I found this to be very unprofessional as they did not answer my calls and would of course have blamed me if I was late due to this error on their part.

In the first hour of this stage I was tasked with drawing up an architecture solution after an extremely vague question from the interviewer. After asking for clarification, the interviewer would more or less repeat the same question. This interview was not a back and forth where we discussed the role and my experience. Rather, it was more like an interrogation with very little information. In a real life scenario, a solutions architect would draw this solution up after discussing the requirements and producing drafts over a longer period of time than just one hour. I tried to ask clarifying questions and tried to get feedback on the solution I was coming up with, but the interviewer did not give any facial cues as to whether I was on the right track let alone answering my questions. Some people are really not fit to be interviewing people, and I found that this interviewer was one of them. This stage was very difficult due to the very vague question which, frankly, I was not expecting to be asked according to the job description.

The next stage was a coding exercise with two different people. I am comfortable with coding so I was expecting this stage to be fairly straightforward. The first thing the interviewing pair asked me was if I had brought my laptop with me. This was very bizarre as I have never heard of a candidate being asked to bring in a laptop with them to an interview; especially for a devops engineer role where programming is not the main task. I informed them that I had not been made aware of this and that nobody had told me that I would need to bring in a laptop. I was then given one of the interviewers' laptop to complete this stage. A list of questions was brought up on a big screen and some input data was given. I was to write functions, including tests, to answer these questions. I am used to being given a coding challenge beforehand but found it a little weird being watched while I typed for an entire hour. Overall this stage was not very difficult.

The final stage was an hour long conversation with another software engineer. The aim of this stage was to see if I would fit in with the culture of the company. Usually, in more competent companies, a person from HR would deal with this and not a socially awkward software engineer. The questions were pretty much read off a laptop screen and were composed of typical HR type questions, almost as if the interviewer Googled the questions just before the interview and clicked on the most irrelevant website he could find. Every time I answered a question, I would get asked deeper questions relating to my answer. One example was where I answered what my biggest weakness was. I was then asked to expand on my answer and provide ideas on when and where this weakness originated. I am not exaggerating when I say that this felt like an hour long therapy session where the interviewer, or I should say therapist, asked extremely irrelevant questions about my personal life.

This entire process was a waste of time. I have never had, and don't think I will ever have, such a bad interview experience. If after reading this review you still decide to interview with this company, expect to be asked questions which are extremely irrelevant to the job by robotic interviewers who don't actually work in the same team or area that you would be working in. You can read other interview reviews on this site to know that my experience is not unique.

Stay away from this company.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses? Followed by a therapy session.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.