Ocado Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Ocado Group

2.5

Performance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ocado Group (London, England) in March 2018.

Interview

I had the interview in Waterloo. It was a competency based interview. I found it quite basic and relaxing. The offices and the overall environment looked nice. The interviewers were also very pleasant and easy to get along with.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply to this role?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield, East of England, England) in February 2010.

Interview

I applied Ocado through agent. They asked me to send CV and cover letter. I was then asked to do an online test on Java. The online test was very difficult, and covered many concepts rarely used. Passed that and got onsite interview. The test consists of two questions, one is basically logical, you were given some basic operation, like increment, minus, multiply, and then you use these operations to define other operations, like test equality, nonequality, and so on. The other one is to finish an incomplete program. The program is about linked list, to test the size. Messed about this part.

Interview Questions

• Linked list. Base class and derived class. Complete the missing part about size test.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield, Yorkshire and the Humber, England) in July 2011.

Interview

Received information through agency, asked to fill in basic application form and send CV.
    Interview consisted of two tests, one using a basic 'language' for manipulating integers with limited commands (increment, zero, assign, loop) and using those to construct a series of more complex functions (decrement, divide, test if equal etc etc).
    Second test was a basic 'fill in the blanks' Java one based around a singly linked list.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England

Application

I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield, East of England, England) in January 2014.

Interview

Codility test. then 2 other tests at the company. then HR interview. then no feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield, East of England, England) in February 2014.

Interview

Did a codility test and was invited for a technical exam at HQ in Hatfield.

Interview Questions

• Technical exam was made-up assembly programming. Was also asked to do a Java implementation of LinkedList.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield, East of England, England) in August 2014.

Interview

Passed initial screen and was called to assessment center. At first stage you need to complete 2 tests. The first test is logical test which is similar to assembly language coding which required to be done in an hour. These questions are quite tricky if you have no experience in writing assembly language codes. The second test is to fill in the missing methods for a linked list class which is easy.

Interview Questions

• The logical test is tricky, but I think as long as you have found out the techniques, it should be straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield, East of England, England) in April 2015.

Interview

Recruitment process starts with a 90min Codility test. This test has 3 problems to solve.
    The first one can be solved with a simple quicksort algorithm for arrays that's already implemented in Java.

After this they scheduled a day to come over to their offices. This day begins with 2 written tests of 45min each.

The first test is about general programming logic. They'll give you 4 basic operations (set to zero, increment, loop, copy value from one variable to another) and will ask you to build new functions. Don't forget you can use all of the functions you've already built to answer the questions. The last question will ask you what a piece of code does and in my case was to find out wether a number was prime or not.

The second test is about Java and they'll ask you to implement a simple linked list. There's one question about recursion.

No matter how the tests go, Ocado will provide lunch for you.

After that they'll let you know wether or not you've passed the tests.

If you did pass the tests you'll get to see their warehouses and you'll have 2 interviews in the afternoon.

The first interview will be very technical and 3 of Ocado's software engineers will ask you multiple questions about SQL and Java. They may ask you to write a small method on a white board.

The second interview is more of a chat about you and your expectations.

Interview Questions

• What happens between you write the URL on a browser and you actually see the webpage on your computer?   1 Answer
    • Write a method to tell wether a char array is a palindrome or not.   1 Answer
    • How do you get memory leaks on C language?
      Can you get memory leaks in Java?   Answer Question
    • Multithreading:
      What is a deadlock?
      How do you avoid synchronisation problems among threads?
      How do you avoid deadlocks?   Answer Question
    • Is there any case where searching in a binary organised tree can be an O(n) ?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield, East of England, England) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks.

First round :
    Codility online test : 3 programs to be completed.
    Very easy if you have worked on examples in Codility website. Try to get 100% results while working on examples.
    In test, I could complete 2 programs but could not complete the 3rd one. But they selected me for 2nd round of interview which was at their office in Hatfield.

Second round :
    Two paper based tests in this 2nd round.
    1st paper based test was on pseudo code. Some questions are fill in the blanks and some questions are write code for the function. They would have defined some inbuilt functions like (ZERO X : initialise the variable x with value 0,
    INCR X : initialise the value of the variable x with 1,
    ASSIGN (X,Y) : Assign the value of Y to X, X=Y,
    LOOP(X) : run the instructions written inside the loop for X times )
    Questions are mainly on addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, finding the biggest number (out of 2 numbers) etc..using the predefined functions and also you can use the functions that has already defined in the previous questions. For example if 1st question is ADD(X,Y) and 2nd question is SUBT(X,Y) and 3rd question is MULT(X,Y), while solving the 3rd question you can use the function that was in first question that is ADD(X,Y).
    Try to be fast in solving the questions.

2nd paper based test was on Java singly linked list implementation. Some questions are fill in the blanks and some are write code for the function. If you practice the implementation of linked list in java(Insert, delete, count...) by understanding, you can clear this test.

One more important thing : They do not consider combined score of the two tests. In 1st paper based test passing marks is 15 out of 20 and 2nd paper based test passing marks is 6 out of 10. So concentrate on both tests. I took lot of time in understanding 1st paper so did not solve many questions. There were 13 questions in 1st paper and around 5 questions in 2nd paper.

Java Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield (South Africa)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield (South Africa)) in February 2013.

Interview

Really bad communication! I received a letter with all the details of the interview, and one thing pointed out was the time: "If you get late, you will not be interviwed." I came from another country the day before, concerned about arriving on time. Gosh, they received me with 40 minutes late!! I really couldn't believe that. More than that, they send me "someone" (a very nice guy in fact) to receive me, because the interviewer was too busy. The worse part was that I just made some silly tests, I was rejected and the interviewer never came to talk to me, he/she just kept sending a "messenger". I don't even know the tests results!! I am with a bad image from this company. I didn't expect that. After that, I don't want to work with them, nor I recommend them.

Interview Questions

• None really, just some silly tests with lists and meta-language. None that could evaluate people knowledge. Just if you can deal with... lists and meta-language.   Answer Question

Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield (Australia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ocado Group (Hatfield (Australia)) in February 2015.

Interview

The process has two phases. In the 1st phase you have two tests, aptitude and java, and if you pass you proceed to the next phase which is the actual interview. The java test is based on Simple Linked List which is quite simple of you are familiar with lists. In the aptitude test, basic functions are given such as increment(x) [x++], assign(x,y) [x=y], zero(x) [x=0] add(x,y) [x=x+y] and you have to implement more complex functions, like decrease(x) [x--]. For someone who haven't solve similar exercises it is quite hard to get good results.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.