Openreach Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Openreach Interview Questions

Interviews at Openreach

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (Leeds, England).

Interview

Firstly I applied on the Openreach website, then I received an email telling me I had been invited to do an online interview and I had 7 days to do it. I completed the online interview which was pretty straight forward, answered a few questions which were along the lines of, why do you want to work for Openreach, what are your hobbies outside of work etc. After I completed the interview I received another email telling me I had got through to the assessment centre stage. I was given a couple of dates I could attend and either an AM or PM slot, I picked the PM slot to give me plenty of time to get there and get myself focused for the upcoming assessment. When I arrived I was around 1hr30minutes early so I decided to go get a tea from a nearby shop and come back to prepare. Once everyone had arrived an engineer came round to us one by one and showed us a coloured wire out of a bunch of them and asked us to tell them which colour it was, basically a simple colour blind test. After this we all went into a room and was given an impressive presentation on the roll we had applied for and of Openreach as a whole, after this presentation we then sorted out all our documents and were able to ask any questions if we had any. We was then split into 2 groups. I was in the group that did the 2 interviews first, standard Interview questions which are mentioned in many reviews on here. We then went into a room to do the practical assessment, this I found was really simple and straight forward, they provided you with all the tools you needed and did a detailed demonstration for you to follow, it was basically wiring up a simple phone line box, again this is pretty straightforward providing you pay attention to the demonstration. We then went into another room to do the last part of the assessment which was a GCSE grade Maths and English test on a computer, after we finished that we was told we could go home and they'll be in touch to tell us if we've been successful or not and good luck! I got an email the next day telling me unfortunately I had been unsuccessful and the reason they gave me was my answer to their question "Tell me a time you've had to deal with a difficult customer and how you overcome this" wasn't good enough but to try again in a years time, which I have and I'm just about to do my online interview again so fingers crossed it will be second time lucky!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you overcome this situation.   Answer Question

Openreach Trainee Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Openreach (Nottingham, England) in January 2020.

Interview

Just thought I would submit the questions for the video interview; have yet to complete the other process. There were only 4 questions that were asked. Revise for all other interview questions as these may change.

Interview Questions

• What skills would you need to demonstrate for good customer service?   1 Answer
    • What do you what you enjoy doing?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about Openreach?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to join Openreach?   Answer Question

Trainee Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Openreach.

Interview

Had video interview so far Interview was pretty easy gave you time to prepare answers 4 questions over all, had email to say I passed video Interview now waiting for invite to assessment day

Field Engineer Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Bedford, England) in March 2020.

Interview

Step by Step Process and Experience:

(1) Uploaded CV and completed online job application form

(3-4 Days Heard back from recruitment team to say you have been selected for a Video Interview)

(2) Video Interview, very simple, remember to relax you can turn of the screen so you can not see your self and I had interview notes behind the screen to reference, at this stage you must do research on the questions they may ask you, you get 2 attempts per question.

(3-5 Days later they invited me to an assessment center which is the final stage, be patience the next email you receive gives you the location and date of the day but there was around a 4 week period where I heard nothing, I called in to ask, the next couple of days I received that email.

(3) Assessment day, Arrive early and be prepared, have notes about the company and questions they may ask you, I had 20 candidates on the day but remember we are from different areas and not competing against each other, English, maths and ICT tests are not see what level you are working towards as you will doing a NVQ if you get the job, these are really simple and I belive they do not effect the outcome of the day. Practical test, they will give you a run down and demo of what you need to do and you have to repeat it, its really simple just connecting a few wires, stripping some wire etc, remember to wear the goggles, clean up and put tools back after. Interview time, two interviews with patch managers who look after a team of engineers, be friendly and confident, relax they have been in the same position as you (Questions are below) Before all of that you have a presentation by the recruitment manger which tells you about the job, there is some sitting around but there are experienced engineers in the room and it helps to ask the questions. Remember passport, driving licence and proof of address and do research about company.

(2-3 days later email to say you've passed or failed, I passed but they said there are not jobs in the area at the minute but they will be in touch, I believe this is a trend and am holding out for another email, this doesn't mean you don't have a job, just hold fire!)

A good experience all round, when they offer me a position you are required to go to the training center for a week which is up north, for me this is great a whole week away from the misses! Then you spend around 4-6 weeks in your local training center and then are deployed in the filed with a buddy. The whole process is very military, ive done army recruitment before and Open reaches is very much the same with out the 3 mile run.

Hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer   1 Answer
    • Is it more important to Openreach to gain new customers or provide outstanding health and safety   1 Answer
    • Tell me about you   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time you witness someone avoiding health and safety regulations and what you did about it   Answer Question
    • Whats your biggest fear about this job   Answer Question
    • What does it take to be an Openreach Engineer   1 Answer
    • Where do you see your self in 10 years, whats your goal   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to join Openreach   1 Answer

Trainee Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Openreach.

Interview

I applied for this position twice, once was approximately 2 years ago, the other was around a week ago. I was sent a link to do a video interview. Thought ok this will be fine, I'll just be talking to someone from openreach over the internet instead of having to travel to a center.
    Nope, was just a screen popping up witha recording of their employees asking a question then you have 30 seconds to prepare an answer and 2 minutes to answer.
    I found it pretty difficult to talk to nobody, and seeing myself on the screen was distracting.

I ended up being rejected from the position. The message was sent from a no-reply email so I tried searching around the openreach website for an email so I could get feedback in order to know what I have to improve on to be more suitable but I had no luck finding one. In the email I recieved I was also told I could reapply in the future but it didn't say how long it would be until I could reapply.

At the end of it all, I'd have much preferred to have an interview with an actual person, or if they insist on doing these automated ones at least have questions that would actually find out about my relevant skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the proudest moment in your career. (that's not even a question, more of a demand)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Preston, North West England, England) in February 2020.

Interview

Applied back in September 2019. Got an email inviting me to a video interview within a week. I completed this and a few days later received another email stating I’d passed and would be considered for an assessment centre; not going to lie, the wait was unbearable however I learnt on the assessment centre that some people has applied over s year ago.

Got an email mid-January inviting me to an assessment centre which I couldn’t accept quick enough. I’d advise anyone who has to travel more than an hour to stay in a nearby hotel the night before if your slot is early (mine was 8am) to avoid congestion on the motorway, tiredness ect.

There where 20 people attending my Assessment Centre slot. The day started off with a colour test, nothing to difficult but necessity for Openreach as you’ll be working with a wide range of coloured wires.

Then we where invited through to another room to attend a video presentation. The guy completing this was incredible; very kind and made everyone in the room feel very relaxed. After the presentation, you’ll want the job even more!! Loads of perks to the job.

Then split off into groups. My group was doing the interviews first. 1v1 Interviews, water provided. They weren’t there to trick me out just get all information they can out of your.

Then came the practical Assessment. Again, nothing to difficult if you listen to the instructor’s advice and follow the completed wiring they’ve given to you.

Finally, the tests. It was made known to us this wasn’t pass/fail but was solely down to the NVQ we’d be completing. Test subjects where: maths, English, ICT.

Got an email 4 working days later saying I’d passed but no current jobs in my area. 1 week later I got a phone call saying there where jobs in my area and I’d be starting in April. Can’t wait!! Dream job!!

Trainee Telecoms Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Preston, North West England, England) in February 2020.

Interview

The application process was started online and included a video interview. Following that there was a selection day where we had two face to face interviews, a Maths, English and ICT assessment and a practical wiring test. The online aspect of the process was pretty straight forward, however the video interview was a little awkward. I recommend preparing some answers and practising beforehand. The tests are not too difficult and I think they are more for seeing what level you are at rather than being a pass or fail, its worth a look on BBC Bitesize, GCSE for a refresher if you are a little longer out of school. One interview was technical/skill based and the other more about your motivation and attitude. Make sure to research Openreach and have a look at the website for an understanding of the job role and products. The practical was done in a group setting, although individually. Full instructions are given and it is just a case of repeating the prossess demonstrated by the trainer. It was not very difficult but could be tricky if nervous or rushing. Listen/watch carefully, take your time and don't worry about what the rest of the group are doing. I was one of the last to finish and still got the job.

Interview Questions

• What PPE would you need when working.   1 Answer

Strategic Insight and Analysis Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (London, England) in February 2020.

Interview

I applied for the job in early February. Two days later I received a direct call from the hiring manager to arrange a telephone interview later in the week. The call was quite standard, 'tell me about yourself', 'what do you know about Openreach?' etc, also with further information given about the role.

The next stage was 2 weeks later and was a face-to-face with both the hiring manager and another senior manager. It consisted of me giving a prepared 15 minute presentation on the company's challenges and competitors, followed by 5-6 competency questions. About 90 minutes in total.

Within a week I was contacted to say I was in the final 2 candidates and the final stage was an SQL test to be completed online. I did so, scoring 100% well within the allocated time.

After that the company completely ignored me. I sent several e-mails to both my HR contact and the hiring manager but to no avail. After about 3-4 weeks Coronavirus reared it's head and the company put a freeze on all external hiring. Although I knew the job was gone I was still hopeful of receiving feedback and I was finally able to get a response by researching an additional HR contact within the company and e-mailing her, who forwarded it on to the hiring manager. This resulted in a non-helpful stock response from him, about 6 weeks after my final interview stage. Considering I'd negotiated several stages and put many hours of research and effort I think the rudeness and lack of respect was disgraceful. The only person there who showed me any towards the end was the HR contact I researched, who apologised on the others' behalf.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you formed a close relationship with a stakeholder.
      How do you influence senior management?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Hatfield, East of England, England) in January 2020.

Interview

The interview process was straight forward.

First of all, psychometrics, followed by an online interview, and upon being successfull an invitation to an assessment centre. The assessment centre took place outside of London, it was quite intense and took about 4 hours. Lunch provided.

Process took about a month and a half.

Interview Questions

• Why this particular graduate scheme?
      Culture related questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Openreach (Glasgow, Scotland) in December 2019.

Interview

Applied by submitting application form. Waited a couple of weeks for an email to say I was successful in gaining a video interview. Completed this by answering a 4 interview questions. Successful for next stage.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Openreach   5 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.