Oxbotica Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Oxbotica

3.1

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxbotica (Oxford, England) in July 2020.

Interview

The process involved 3 stages with increasing difficulty.

The company should be saluted, as I found their interview process was really refreshing rather than unnerving and they really do go out of their to make you feel at ease. Sure they challenge you but they also make you feel as comfortable as possible at the same time. They want to see the real you, your potential and who you are as a person, and I felt that really helped. It's important you would fit into the company first!

The first stage was talking about myself, my skills and experiences, some generic questions about software engineering, to get an insight about who I am and how I might think.

The second stage involved some more challenging questions with some of their leaders around autonomous vehicles, thinking through problem questions. Very fluid however rather than a scripted question session, it's more of a discussion and explanation session.

The final stage involved coding, team and logical tests plus tours and speaking with the CTO. Typically the coding test requires you to code in programming languages they typically use, however they made arrangements for me to conduct it in a language that I have built my object-oriented skills in recently, which I really appreciated. Again the tests were challenging but still fun and I wouldn't mind looking over them again rather than be done with them. They emphasised they are interested in your potential rather than purely the number of correct / completed answers. Talking with the CTO was one of the best parts of the interview though. You gain wonderful insight into the leadership style and the way the CTO wants the company to work, you also get to ask questions which is an opportunity you rarely get at other companies. That alone definitely contributes significantly, if I was to be swayed in my decision on which company to join, based on this positive interaction.

Because of COVID, the whole process has been done virtually and I think the company deserves kudos for how it prepared and went about conducting all the interviews. They managed to give a fantastic insight into the company culture (sometimes you have no idea what you are walking into even though the whole process was in person, but I really feel like I got a great feel this time of what it would be like, where I would sit etc.). This is highly important to me when it comes to making a decision you don't want to regret later.

Finally, throughout the process a graduate from the previous year's intake was always at hand which contributes to feeling at ease and understanding what might be expected of you. You're also able to fire off loads of questions at any point which I really liked and I got to learn so much. You'll also hear back what I felt was relatively quick, about whether you have progressed to the next round.

Interview Questions

• How would I approach developing the software for a certain autonomous vehicle action? (I can't be more specific than this)   Answer Question

Functional Safety Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxbotica (London, England) in July 2020.

Interview

The interview process was in 3 steps.
    The first one was a phone call with HR with generic questions.
    The 2nd step was an formal interview with the functional safety leader.
    The 3rd step was a more techical interview where I had to show my presentation about functional safety for autonomous driving and resolve a technical exercise.
    The different discussions I had with the team members were positive. I really appreciated their feedback.
    Unfortunately, my job application ending without any job offer.

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Oxbotica (London, England).

Interview

Got a call from their HR lady re a full stack developer role. We had a friendly 1 hour conversation. I was told I would be invited for the first phase technical phone interview. Never heard from them since, nobody repied to my email either

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Oxbotica in December 2019.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. You feel very comfortable, engaged. And you feel there is a genuine desire to know you better rather than to intimidate you.
    For me later on I got a job offer and got hired. for the whole process I received a massive support when it comes to relocation, visa process ...
    I recently started working with Oxbotica, and so far I am having an amazing experience!
    Highly recommend it to anyone with passion for innovation and robotics

Full Stack Developer Interview

Interview

I have done the initial interview with the hiring manager first over the phone which went very well. Then I had a technical phone interview about 45 minutes with the technical manager which went well as well. Then they sent me a task to complete before the face to face interview. Since, I really liked the job and everything about the job was exactly what I was looking for, I took some days off to concentrate on the task before the interview. I completed it very well as requested in the task description. I went to the interview and honestly I really enjoyed the interview with two managers. I presented my solution and they asked me technical questions as well. It was about 2 hours. After that we had a tea together in the rec area. I felt very positive and I took another 2 days off to go to Oxford from Nottingham for the interview.Everything was really good and positive and I loved the company and environment as well. But after a couple of days I got rejected and no offer. I was shocked, spent time, money and everything wasted. and they told me that I have no experience in Linux and less experience in database, which was really shocking as they did not mention the Linux experience in the job description and I already told them about that over the phone interview and it was in my CV as well, so they could have just rejected me in the early phase not after face to face interview. That was absolutely heart broken!!! I am now feeling very disheartening and I hope they see my feedback and don’t do the same thing for another candidate.

Interview Questions

• They asked me questions like how do you optimise the API request/respond performance?   Answer Question

19 Sep 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for your time in posting your thoughts and feedback. I will send you an email directly as this is not the feedback that I gave to the agency as to why unfortunately we didn't move to offer with you. I would like to take the time to share constructive feedback with you personally as we really enjoyed meeting you, hence the time we spent getting to know you and I hope that we can explain the reason better off line for rejecting your application at this time.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxbotica.

Interview

This company doesn't care about your time. They make you fill a lengthy job application. Then HR interview over Skype. During interview, the 1st question they ask is will you need sponsorship? Said yes. Then they said they didn't have anymore visas and ended interview. Could have asked that as a screening question.

Interview Questions

Oxbotica Response

28 May 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we will certainly investigate the screening questions that are placed at the end of each advert to ensure the right questions are asked at the very first stages of our recruitment and interview process. As we grow and increase our head count, so to will our ambitions to recruit the very best global talent. Wishing you all the very best with your next career move.

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxbotica (Oxford, England) in June 2019.

Interview

First was a screening process which was really enjoyable. I got to know the company more and was able to share my experiences to see if both our expectations were aligned in what the role had to offer. The conversation flowed really easily and it was a really good initial chat.

The second stage involved an on-the-phone technical screening, which was again very relaxed and probed a little deeper into my technical understanding and experience to date. After the technical conversation I was given ample amounts of time to ask questions about the company and the role, which I did.

The third stage was a F2F technical assessment on-site. Met a Senior Software Engineer and another engineer who were very accommodating and friendly. I got a good sense of the culture here at this point and had a good feeling about what it would be like to work here. Unfortunately, the technical assessment did not go too well for me (I wasn't feeling great that day but didn't want to cancel last minute), I found it very hard to concentrate at times and this ultimately resulted in me making some easy mistakes. It was a shame that I slipped up on quite a simple task at the last hurdle but in terms of the interview process I could not have asked for better interviewers. They were both extremely helpful and comforting; it didn't really feel like a formal interview but rather a challenging pair-programming session where you were the one driving the changes.

All in all, I cannot fault the interview process and I would highly recommend to anyone who is considering interviewing to go for it. I would personally interview again, no problem.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxbotica (Oxford, England) in June 2019.

Interview

Applied from Sweden, so this was the three step process for me, it might be different if you are located near Oxford.

1. Skype interview with with HR with regards to my background, the job and some questions relating to relocating (For info: Relocating to UK is easy and Oxford is a fantastic place to live in, small enough to not be too crowded and still big enough to have everything - Perfection). Aimed more to see if I fit into the company culture and a control to check if my background fits the role.

2. Skype interview with the team leader (future manager). This went more into detailed technical questions relating to my role.

3. On site interview in Oxford, a two hour interview with the team that I would be working with. In my case this was the project management team.

This was a great interview process. All questions was relevant and not the standard "tell me about yourself" type of questions. It was not stressful at all and the people interviewing me was awesome to talk to. A very enjoyable process which took around 3-4 weeks in total. Of course when you have a chance to get a job in Oxford at Oxbotica the suspense is insane so the process could not go fast enough.

Interview Questions

• How would you tackle a time delay on a deliverable?   Answer Question
    • Did you had to change hardware to accommodate software?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oxbotica (Oxford, England) in June 2019.

Interview

Initial screening interview by phone, then a more technically-focused phone interview. Then a final onsite interview. Everyone was very friendly, welcoming and easy to talk to, especially Shelley! Very organic, relaxed interviews, which totally mirrors the atmosphere at the company. Everyone who interviewed me really put me at ease and asked interesting, thoughtful questions. I would say definitely research the company and the AV sector in general (which should go without saying, anyway). A high emphasis was placed on how I would potentially fit into the company culture, as well as, of course, my competency for the job. Really get the impression that they're trying to build a cohesive team across the company, rather than just hiring anyone who seems technically right for the job, which is great! Interview process was also very quick - roughly a week between each interview and the longest I waited to hear back after each one was about 5 days. Great people and great process!

Interview Questions

Oxbotica Response

23 Sep 2019 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your time and effort in providing feedback on your interview experience. We are certainly trying to build a cohesive team across Oxbotica, where everyone has a voice and a platform to share ideas. Great advice on researching Oxbotica in relation to interview preparation and thinking about why you want to work within the world of universal autonomy.

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxbotica (Oxford, England) in May 2019.

Interview

Initial interview was over-the-phone with the lead developer who would be the line manager of the successful candidate.
    Second interview was in-person the interviewer from first stage and another lead developer, after being asked to complete a short coding challenge at home.

Both interviews were completely focused on technology, the coding challenge and how I would approach certain tasks.
    The interview style made me feel very comfortable and the discussions we had were done in a way that I felt were able to showcase my experience and skills.

All communication through HR was prompt and courteous.

Interview Questions

• Describe the process you would go through to get this code (the challenge) through to production?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.