Oxford University Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (Oxford, England) in May 2019.

Interview

Friendly and informal. We were split into two groups. The first group did presentations first. Each had to work on their own, one person talking about the topic for 15 minutes to a member of the HR team. Then the second half of the process, was interview 1v1. Talk through CV for five minutes, and then 10 skills questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you worked in a bad team.   1 Answer

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

HR phone screen, department head phone screen, two rounds of in-person interviews with a reasonable assignment in between. HR followed up with the offer. Everyone was friendly but smart, except HR was a little uncoordinated sometimes. All told it took a while -- about 3 months from application to hire.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

I had a phone interview with human resources, then we scheduled a one on one with marketing manager in the new york office and then third step was a skype interview with the marketing director in the UK office.

Interview Questions

• They just asked about past experience and what about marketing was important to you   Answer Question

Associate Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

Three phone interviews followed by face to face interview with two hiring managers and Human Resources manager. Conversational type interview. Whole process took about two weeks. Good organization, good follow through.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University Press in June 2018.

Interview

Brought in for initial interview with direct report for lengthy interview. Came back again for couple interviews with other personnel. Final interview with director. Long drawn out process of 2 months where sometimes wouldn't hear back with HR for weeks. Enjoyed conversation with hiring manager and felt all questions were reasonable and fair. The 2 other personnel I sat with was a waste of time as I could tell one interviewer didn't really understand why they were being asked to participate. Other asked questions well outside the scope of job I was interviewing. My main takeaway throughout interview process was this. No one really providing any compelling reasons why anyone would want to work there. They would talk freely about challenges and limitations of the company but very little positive. It's a two way street. I tried to do enough to sell myself but Oxford wasn't very keen on selling itself as a good place to work. Maybe they think being associated with a world class University they shouldn't have to try hard to do that. Not a well done interview process at all.

Interview Questions

• Being asked to make recommendations on what I would do to improve an area of the company's business that wasn't directly related to my role   1 Answer

Art Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press in June 2011.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was not challenging at all. In fact, I could hardly get a word in edgewise. The hiring manager was new and seemed nervous. She compensated by talking non-stop. I had to interrupt her to make a few salient points about my experience relative to the job. She never asked me difficult or challenging questions. This should have been a red flag that she was an inexperienced manager who lacked management confidence. I subsequently met with three senior editors who were pleasant but never challenging.

Interview Questions

• None. I was surprised only by how ill-prepared my interviewer was to speak with me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to increase the starting salary by $3000 by citing salary figures for similar positions and experience levels in other companies. Don't take their first offer; by the time they make an offer, they'd rather give you a bit more money than try to find another qualified candidate.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

The only thing I have to say is what a mess. What a huge mess. I had a phone screening interview, and then was asked to come in for an in-person interview the next week. The girl interviewing me was over 20 minutes late and no one could locate her - apparently she had been called into a meeting and "forgotten." After our interview, I talked to HR briefly and they told me that they would let me know in the next week or so, and if I didn't hear from them, to definitely "get in touch." I emailed a thank you to my interviewer - she didn't care to respond. I didn't hear from them for weeks and sent emails and made phone calls to no response. Finally, after a month, I received an automated email that I didn't get the position.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (Cary, NC (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a recruiter several weeks after applying online for the position. He repeatedly referred to me in written correspondence using a nick name that I never approved. I interviewed at the Cary office in early July, however the recruiter was not present. He contacted me via phone the next day inquiring about salary expectations, as well as asking whether I'm currently interviewing elsewhere. The whole tone of the conversation was rather invasive but I took this as a sign of true interest. We agreed on the budgeted salary range and I was told I would be hearing back that same evening or the next day.

Fast forward a month, after one email and voicemail followup-up, I still have not heard back from the recruiter or anyone at OUP. This is by far one of the worst cases of "employer ghosting" I've ever experienced and many in my network agree. The overall level of unprofessionalism and improper communication was astonishing considering the recruiter has "over 15yrs of experience in talent acquisition" according to his LinkedIn profile. A simple rejection email would have sufficed.

If OUP's way of recruiting talent is this terrible I can only imagine what substandard work opportunities and environment they provide. Avoid.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Started with a call from HR where they asked me first off about my salary requirements. This was a long back and forth, and they eventually told me the budget they had for the position and that it was was inflexible. On a second call with HR, I answered questions while they typed my answers, which had to be pretty short. Then set up an interview with the supervisor for the job. This was a pretty standard interview, and I met with HR after where I had to reiterate certain things we had talked about. It was about a month before I finally heard back after the interview process, via email.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst thing you had to do in your last job.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward. I applied online and had a recruiter reach out about a week later. Then I had one phone interview with a recruiter and then a phone interview with the hiring manager.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Initial phone screen (pretty basic—strengths, weaknesses, reason for applying, etc..), followed a few days later by in-person interviews with first the intern coordinator and, then, about an hour later, the lead editor. Received an offer a week after the in-person interviews. Overall, a pretty standard interviewing process. No major curveballs.

Interview Questions

• What are your strategies/methods for staying organized? What is a challenge you've faced in one of your previous opportunities and how did you overcome it? What are your intellectual passions? Why are you interested in publishing? Why are you interested in Oxford?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.