Palantir Technologies Business Operations and Strategy Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Palantir Technologies Business Operations and Strategy Interview Questions

Interviews at Palantir Technologies

2.8

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in October 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn, and after a brief dialogue, he scheduled a Skype interview with a person on the team. The interview was about 45 minutes long, during which the interviewer walked me through what being on the team is like, some of the problems they solve, and the long hours they put in.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous experience at your current job and college. What problems did you encounter and how did you approach them?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2016.

Interview

Phone screen was brief but cordial. Questions were around interest in Palantir and going over my resume. First proper interview was about a week later. The interviewer asked only two questions about my strengths and weaknesses. No questions about how I solved problems in the past, or how I would solve hypothetical problems in the role. Few days later they sent a rejection email saying "we do not have a position that is a strong match for your qualifications at this time." Surprising assessment, since I wasn't asked any questions about my qualifications. In September, the US Labor Department sued Palantir for discriminating against Asian candidates in their hiring process. Then all of it suddenly made sense.

Interview Questions

• What are your top three strengths?
      What are your top three weaknesses?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

Member of the team reached out via LinkedIn, passed onto another member of the team who conducted Skype interview.

Questions:
    + What is your long-term career goal?
    + What is a strength? Give example illustrating that.
    + What is a second strength? Give example illustrating that.
    + What is a third strength? Give example illustrating that.
    + What is a weakness? Give example illustrating that.
    + What is a second weakness? Give example illustrating that.
    + Name 3 references who supervised you most recently:
    >> What would each rate you on scale 1-10?
    >> What would each say is your greatest strength? Why?
    >> What would each say is area for improvement? Why?

10 minutes for you to ask questions

Interview Questions

• What is your long-term career goal?   Answer Question
    • + What is a strength? Give example illustrating that.
      + What is a second strength? Give example illustrating that.
      + What is a third strength? Give example illustrating that.
      + What is a weakness? Give example illustrating that.
      + What is a second weakness? Give example illustrating that.   Answer Question
    • + Name 3 references who supervised you most recently:
      >> What would each rate you on scale 1-10?
      >> What would each say is your greatest strength? Why?
      >> What would each say is area for improvement? Why?

10 minutes for you to ask questions   Answer Question

Business Operations & Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter on LinkedIn. We had a brief telephone call and then I was matched up with someone on the Business Operations & Strategy team for a Skype interview. The interviewer was fairly rude, interrupting me multiple times during the process. Like others, I got the impression that they were looking for something specific. The interviewer said things like "Great, that's really helpful" and "Perfect". At the end of the process, I had 3 minutes to ask questions and was unimpressed when the interviewer stated that the recruiters would be reaching out in a couple weeks if they wanted to move forward and that "If you don't hear from us, then please reach out." The interviewer stated that Palantir was revamping their recruiting process to be more data oriented rather than intuition focused. My intuition was that I was uninterested in working for them.

Interview Questions

• Strengths, weaknesses. Examples for three of each. How would your managers rate you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY (US)) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn last year and did not make it past the phone screen. I was contacted again via Linkedin this year and made it to the on-site interview stage. Overall, the recruiting process seemed efficient and timely - the longest I had to wait for follow-up was the week it took for them to get back to me with the rejection.

Recruiter call: Lasted about 30 minutes and was very pleasant and conversational in nature. Mostly discussed my background and interests.

Phone screen via Skype: Lasted about 45 minutes. As others described, it focused heavily on weaknesses and dug deep into the "why" behind your decisions. It seems like they follow a very strict methodology in terms of who they are looking to hire (felt like they were checking off boxes while interviewing me). It wasn't sufficient to provide a "X was the problem, Y was the approach I took, and Z was the outcome" response to questions. Instead, the questions were very psychological in nature as a means to evaluate decision-making skills and innate thought process. I got off the phone feeling like the conversation went okay, but I was not expecting a call back.

On-site interview: Surprisingly, the day after the Skype call, they invited me for an on-site interview (somewhere around this time I also completed an analytical challenge that tested Excel skills. They gave me 24 hours to submit - not super hard). They covered two nights of stay, which was a nice perk. I interviewed with two individuals (1:1) and had an informal lunch interview as well.
            The first interview was behavioral and was very similar to the previous Skype interview, except they dug much deeper into my answers. Unsurprisingly, it seemed like they were less interested in my skills and more interested in my failures and weaknesses as a way to gauge my openness. This was evidenced by the fact that they shot down my initial "what is your weakness" response and told me to try again. Overall, it seemed like the interviewer really liked my responses given the positive reactions.
            The second interview was analytical and involved three questions. The case question did not involve any whiteboarding or math, but sought to assess how you would think through a problem and collect data. It was relevant to my background and was not as difficult as I expected. The final question was related to Palantir's product and how you would evaluate its health.
            The third interview was an informal lunch, where they take you to their cafeteria and let you chat with an employee.
            All interviewers emphasized that this was not a lifestyle job and the hours can be excessive. They also maintain a relatively flat organization, which has its ups and downs. For instance, there is no formal promotion process or a "boss" per se. Everyone pulls their weight, takes full ownership of their work and decries corporate/bureaucratic culture and working for behemoth organizations.

After the lunch, I was let go. One week later, I received a phone call with a generic rejection and no further details on why the decision was made, due to "legal" reasons. After doing some research, it does seem that if they do not keep you past lunch, then they've already decided not to give you an offer (hence, my whole theory on their secretive methodology used to determine the right fit). My understanding is that they no longer require the founder interview (though they may still do it), but at the very least you should get a product demo on-site. When or how they make that decision while you are still in the on-site interview is beyond me. Ultimately, it's difficult to say what the "magic sauce" is they are looking for, but I definitely ended the process feeling quite confused as my answers to the Skype call questions (which I passed) were not wholly different in nature than my answers during the on-site. In fact, I felt that my on-site performance was stronger. *kanye shrug*

Interview Questions

• 1. What is a contrarian view that you hold?
      2. What is one world problem you want to solve?
      3. What is the most difficult analytical problem you've ever had to solve?
      3. Strengths/weaknesses/failures (have several of each prepared)
      4. Describe in detail a difficult problem you had to solve.
      5. How would you determine the amount of marijuana consumed in the U.S.?
      7. How would you measure the health/success of a deployment?
      8. Name three supervisors (yes, they asked for first and last names during the Skype interview). Tell me how they would each rate you and why.
      9. Why Palantir?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY (US)) in December 2015.

Interview

I had a Skype interview first, did a skills test, and then was invited to interview in person with team members. The in-person interview lasted 6 hours, and included meeting 6 people. The company and team are young (average age, I understand, is 27), and the employees I met were all highly intelligent Type-As. The oldest interviewer (other than the manager) was maybe 30 years old. The upside to youth is the creative energy, the drive, the dynamic intellect. The downside to youth, in this case, is that we spent a surprising amount of time on my high-school and undergrad time, which was almost 30 years ago for me, and in my view not very relevant to who I am now and what I can do. This also led to compressing the time allotted to my more-recent career experience. Nevertheless, I thought the interview was professional, in-depth, and I really got the impression they knew they type of person they wanted to hire (which in the end, wasn't me.)

Interview Questions

• What were your ACT/SAT scores?   1 Answer

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies.

Interview

Basic interview with two team members. I did most of the talking and it was difficult to get a sense of what they were looking for. The job description is very broad, and as they claim to interview people with diverse experiences, they must have some formula for how they pick people or be looking for certain consultant-y buzzwords, but it certainly wasn't clear.

Interview Questions

• What would your supervisor say about you? What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, the job description is some fancy essay that does not provide any insight into the position. Only had a phone interview, and it was really basic behavioral questions to evaluate your objectives and your interest in the firm. The recruiter was a robot and always replied with the same 'perfect' or 'that's a GREAT question'.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral stuff, why you want to leave current job, why Palanthir, give an example of a project you saw on the website and why it's interesting to you. She'll give examples of projects the team has actually worked on and request your feedback.   Answer Question

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2015.

Interview

Had an initial phone screen with a recruiter, then a 45-minute-long call with a member of the Business Ops and Strategy team. Questions focused on my career goals, strengths and weaknesses, working style preferences, and past experience.

Interview Questions

• Recall your most recent review: what was some constructive feedback you received?   Answer Question

Business Operations and Strategy Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process took about 3 weeks. I talked to one recruiter, then another, then did a Skype interview with someone on the team. The interview was pretty basic. List three weaknesses with examples and three strengths with examples. Where do you want to be in ten years. I am mainly just confused by my interview because the recruiter kept saying "perfect" then decided not to move forward with my application. They seem to want something very specific but I have no clue what it is.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.