Palantir Technologies Product Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Palantir Technologies Product Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Palantir Technologies

3.5

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA (US)).

Interview

7 different interviews. Overall, it was the hardest interviewing process I've ever been through, but all the interviewers were incredibly thoughtful. The experience was quite intense but I'm still very grateful for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Presenting projects from my portfolio (portfolio review)   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Palantir Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

I applied online through the Palantir website, and in a few weeks, I received an email from a recruiter. I had an initial phone screen and then went on to do two video interviews.

The first interview was a portfolio review that was done through Zoom, and the second interview was a design challenge that was completed through HackerRank, then discussed through another Zoom interview. Both of these interviews went smoothly, and the team members I spoke with were extremely friendly and interactive.

I was then called in for an in-person interview at the NYC office and had three more interviews. I had another portfolio review conducted by two different members of the design team. Then, I had a short and relaxed talk with another member of the Palantir design team. After a short break, I had a design interview, which was challenging and fun (sketching on the whiteboard, and working through different cases).

Finally, I had an ideation interview, which was not as collaborative or well-conducted, as the other two interviews. I felt that the interviewees of the ideation portion of the process were unprepared. They had no input on what I was coming up with or what I was building, even as I worked through the challenge out-loud. The interviewees in this portion, unlike any other, sat there silent while I did the challenge for most of the hour.

Overall, my recruiter and most of the design team members I meet at Palantir technologies were great. They answered all my questions and made the process wonderful.

Interview Questions

• Please walk us through your portfolio and talk through a project that you had a lot of impact on.

How would you design a really small infotainment screen for airplanes?

Come up with ways to use E-ink screens, then design the MVP.   2 Answers

Product Designer Interview

Interview

Pretty straightforward - one portfolio presentation followed by design challenge, and on-site interview. Onsite included two whiteboard challenges and one portfolio presentation. Interviewers were pretty friendly and helpful during the interview.

Interview Questions

• If given 2 more months, how would you evaluate this project?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me first with information about the interview process and scheduling info. The initial video conference was with a product designer and was a 45-minute review of past work. (one to two projects depending on time)

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at Palantir?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in November 2018.

Interview

One 45 min phone interview on portfolio with a senior designer. Followed by a 90 min design challenge. You have 3 prompts to choose from. Then walk through your solution with another designer. Next, quick chat with HR about your job hunting process, why Palantir.

Finally onsite. Started with portfolio presentation, then two whiteboard challenges. After lunch, demo on product and design work. Final round was a hiring manager interview. It was mainly behavioral.

A week later got call from recruiter saying "it's not a fit for the team". Asked for more specific feedback and got declined.

Overall my experience was positive. The design team was professional. My interviewers asked thoughtful questions to understand my process. They were also supportive during whiteboard challenges. I felt very upset about how this ended. After weeks of effort in interviewing, I would expect to at least know why "it's not a fit". A quick 2 min rejection call with a perfunctory reason feels disrespectful for any candidate who invested time.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Seattle, WA (US)).

Interview

Get approached on LinkedIn by a recruiter. Then portfolio review. Then a design challenge. Then a an on-site. I get rejected after the design challenge which is a timed 90 mins one following by a review with designer.

Product Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me by email after I applied online for the internship few weeks earlier. We had a phone interview that took 1h and she was very polite and answered all my questions. The second interview was a Google Hangouts with a Designer. He was also very polite and asked me to explain my design process of one project during the interview. He also gave me a feedback and answered all my questions. I didn't get an offer, but it was a really good experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Can you tell me about your design process? What is Palantir?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

First step was a phone screen with HR. Second step was a 1:1 portfolio review (remote) with a team member. Subsequent step consisted of a remote timed design exercise followed by a 1:1 review/pitch (remote) with another team member. I was rejected via an email after this phase but, from my understanding, the final step is a day of on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Questions at the early stage of the review process were mainly focused on challenging how and why you made specific design decisions (regarding work in your portfolio and the subsequent design exercise). Minimal questions regarding experience/professional background were asked.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

Long interview process (2 months). Phone screen, interview and portfolio review through hangouts, design exercise through hangouts (three exercises, choose and and work on it for 90 minutes, take photos, send it back and review it with one of the designers), onsite interview in Palo Alto.

Interview Questions

• Design an experience for the recruitment process. Design a mobile app for splitting the bill among friends in the restaurant. Generate ideas for e-ink reader display use cases.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Palantir Technologies (New York, NY (US)) in April 2013.

Interview

Background: I have a CS degree, but have worked as interaction designer for 10 years.

My first contact from Palantir was an email from one of their recruiters that was a bit odd because it was looking for "highly technical individuals" and had some bullet points about my CS degree, and some recognition as a student (placing in ACM competition etc).

I ignored this since I get a lot of emails from recruiters looking to fill engineering positions :-(

Then I got a follow up a month later that was commenting more on my design capability. I looked up their website and was blown away with the product demo, and I saw they were hiring Product Designers in NYC so I emailed back to arrange a phone interview.

The first disappointment was that although advertising NYC positions, it was explained they are looking for people to be based from Palo Alto office initially, before moving to a regional office.

Next were a bunch of questions that I think I might have been able to answer, but only on a whiteboard/pen paper not off the top of my head over the phone:

1. What is minimum number of guesses needed to find a number between 1 and 1,000 (when with each guess you're told if the target is higher or lower) (I guessed 10+1 #fail)

2. What is significance of 32^2 (I answered I have no idea, but guessed it was something to do with memory?)

3. What is a stack? (the only one I could answer confidently)

4. What is the optimal performance to expect from a hashing algorithm with no collisions?
    (I said O-log-n with the disclaimer that I was just guessing and hadn't really thought about computation complexity for over a decade).

5. Describe how given two lists of random numbers how to most efficiently find a list of duplicates.

...at this point it sounded a bit like the recruiter was getting fed up with my guessing so I excused myself by saying I didn't think I had the skills they were looking for :-(

Overall the recruiter I spoke to was very nice, and prompt at arranging the interview (entire process from first contact to interview was less than 24hours) which I appreciate.

After the interview I jumped on Glassdoor to see if anyone else had posted a similar interview experience for a product design position, but they were quite different so it's possible that I wasn't being interviewed for a product design position at all, or possibly the internal expectation they have for product designer doesn't match what I'm familiar with.
    I emailed back to clarify but haven't heard back!

Interview Questions

• Describe how given two lists of random numbers how to most efficiently find a list of duplicates.   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.