Peace Corps Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated 20 May 2017

2.8

Community Health Educator - Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Portland, OR (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was initially set up over the a web application with video and audio. However, on my old laptop the program would not load and I ended up having the placement officer call me over the phone. The interview lasted about 90 minutes and it well very well. I am really happy with the ease of the conversation, and it was really nice that the interviewer also offered up a little of her own experiences while she interviewed me. At the end I had prepared at least 5 questions that I was able to ask her about. Overall, it was smooth, easy, and I heard back 2 days later that I was accepted!

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself adapting and integrating with your community? Have you ever experienced this before? Do you forsee any challenges and do you have any experiences with working and living with people from a different culture?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

We spoke on the phone about my experiences, interests, and any concerns I had. I then completed a medical checkup, and about four months later, I was offered an opportunity in Bulgaria.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any dietary restrictions?   1 Answer

Health Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I interviewed over Skype, as do most applicants since the change in their process (2014). The interviewer stuck to a strict list of questions that seemed to be standard for all interviewees. The list of questions can be found online by doing a simple search. It didn't feel very engaged at all, but understandably because of the huge number of applicants. Overall, not a great experience but worth it. I felt overly prepared and the interviewer seemed impatient about the lengthier responses.

Interview Questions

• Q: Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation.   Answer Question

Ced Interview

Interview

There was two phone interviews and a language interview. The first interview was mostly to see your commitment to the organization and why you applied. The second interview is more about your technical skills and talking about the area you want to work in. The language interview happens after you get into the Peace Corps but it is good know to prepare before hand

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying to the Peace Corps?   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2015.

Interview

Quick, mostly painless, but very formulaic and structured. My interview was conducted remotely, as I believe all of them now are. It was difficult to determine whether an answer was positive or negative, as interviewers are clearly well-trained to avoid giving much feedback during the process. The lack of follow-up is frustrating but understandable due to the volume of applicants PC is dealing with at this time.

Interview Questions

• General Qs about cultural adaptability, teaching/volunteer experiences   Answer Question

Economic Development Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Houston, TX (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

After submitting your application, you will be put "under consideration" for a certain position and country. If they believe you are a good match, they will ask for an online interview. The interview is pretty standard and includes mostly behavioral questions. They also check to see how flexible you will be as a volunteer. The process takes a lot of time (from completion of application to interview = 3 months)

Interview Questions

• Have you ever broken a rule/law and why/what did learn from this?   Answer Question

PC Volunteer - Indonesia Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sumter, SC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Sumter, SC (US)).

Interview

I applied back in April 2015 and did all the online forms for pre medical. In June 2015 I got an email telling me I was being considered for placement in Indonesia leaving March 2016. Around July 20th I got my invite to interview via Lync (the new way they are doing it now with your placement officer) and set my interview for july 28th (today!). Check your spam folder for your interview invite!!

I got prepared with the questions from the Wiki page everyone talks about and she also included some topics she would cover in her interview confirmation. All in all the interview took 45 minutes and she didnt ask me all the questions i reviewed (the email said an hour to an hour an half... idk if thats a good or a bad thing). We started off with questions about my motivation for wanting to join and that went into the situation and experience based questions where she asked question like "tell me about a time when..." , I stumbled on a few but pushed forward, next came the "how will you handle this" section and wrapped it up well in the question and answer portion. During the interview I got the feeling maybe she didnt like me too much, but by the end during the question and answer portion she seemed to lighten up and become more friendly when talking about her own experience serving.

Now it's time for waiting for the invite.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   Answer Question
    • Have you studied a second language?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work in an ambiguous situation   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed to do something. What would you do now?   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time when you had to work in a group of 3 or more   Answer Question

Office of Civil Rights and Diversity Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple and took about two to three weeks. I applied at my school's career database when the internship opened up and the staff called me in for the interview. They had several, typical behavioral questions that most common jobs asked.

After the interview, once I sent them a thank-you note, I heard from them about a week later, during which I then had to go through several processes like a mini-Orientation and et cetera.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself

2. What kinds of news publications do you usually read, related to world events?

3. How do you define diversity?

4. What is your working style?

5. Do you have any questions for us?
      Answer Question

Water Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

The whole process took a long time. The interview itself went very well. However, I had to get some extra experience in order to be placed in my desired sector. Though, it seems they mainly wanted to ensure I would do what it took to be accepted and prove that I would commit to staying the whole 2 years.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I was interviewed as part of a couple so this may be different than other people's experiences. I was interviewed initially for 2 hours and then my partner was interviewed for 2 hours and we were interviewed for about 1 hour together.

Overall the experience was pretty average in that they asked questions and we answered. The best part of the process, though, was talking to the recruiter about her experience as a volunteer. She shared with us about her time in Africa and was very candid about how challenging her experience was. I think most interviewers are returned volunteers so that helps.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if something happened to your partner and they needed to leave the country?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about working with people who were very different than you?   Answer Question
    • Would you be comfortable working with people who have different values than you?   Answer Question