Plenty of Fish Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Interviews at Plenty of Fish

3.2

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2020.

Interview

Tedious, final interview ended up asking me to present 3 questions, which was delivered but despite that, the management demanded to hear "solution" rather than what was asked of me. When a better or "different" strategy was presented they dismissed me. However, two days later my ideas were announced as their new strategy to all the POF members on their app. When asked - HR denied and said my claims lacked merit. Um...not really, if you just implemented my suggestions without thought to intellectual property or ethics. Job interviewees should not be taken as FREE CONSULTANTS and for granted, and their ideas should be paid for and used with permission at the very least. How can you ask someone you are interviewing for a solution? It is not a pitch, it is a job interview only and should be based on past experiences and ability. POF should not pretend to hire and then just steal other peoples' ideas because management lacks them. Warning. POF is totally unethical and lack vision, knowledge and strategic vision. AVOID.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what content you like, what content you do not like and what content is missing.   1 Answer

24 Apr 2020 – People & Culture Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your hiring process. We are always open to constructive feedback which is why we value Glassdoor reviews so highly.

We consider our hiring process to be in-depth and robust, and we communicate all of the requirements in detail upfront. For every senior-level role, all candidates are asked to present a case study, which helps us evaluate job candidates' thought processes and presentation skills. The information presented remains in the candidate's possession.

We regret that you have perceived our hiring process and Plenty of Fish in the way you have described as we always strive to offer the best possible candidate experience for everyone who interviews with us. We do not believe there is any merit to your claims that we engaged in the practice of "stealing candidate's ideas”. Broad and obvious ideas should not be treated as intellectual property and Plenty of Fish would readily engage with an appropriate consultant if there was a clear business need.

We have high ethical standards and pride ourselves on a transparent and respectful culture and we're sorry that you feel you have not been treated in line with these principles.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Sara
    Senior People & Culture Manager

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2020.

Interview

The interview process was wonderful but very intense - first I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview and invited in for an in person interview with two of the hiring managers shortly thereafter. I was also given a tour of the office that was just lovely and appreciated, and everyone I came across during the process was warm and inviting.

Although I was not given an offer, they provided some very helpful constructive feedback, said they enjoyed meeting me and that I was welcome to reach out to them to be considered if another opportunity opens up that I would like to be considered for.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Interview

The interview was conducted by three members of the PoF software team. They just asked some questions regarding my resume, as well as got a basic understanding of what skills I was most comfortable with. Then they asked me a few generic software questions.

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in March 2019.

Interview

A phone screen with the technical recruiter followed by 4 in person interviews at the office on two separate days including technical and behavioural interviews. The recruiting team and the interviewers did an amazing job of making the process stress free. It was a pleasure going through the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There were technical questions about ML and statistics as well as open ended questions about the types of problem the business faces and how data science, ML and AI can help solve them.   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2019.

Interview

1) Phone screen with HR to get to know your current situation and past experience

2) Technical phone interview which consists of the Android team lead asking questions verbatim from a repository of interview topics for Java and Android. Questions like what is the difference between an implicit and explicit intent. He asked about 30 of them so the phone call lasted a good forty five minutes.

3) Take home assignment for building an app that displays a list returned from an API. Your app is expected to also have a detail page when an item on the list is clicked. Nothing difficult, expect to spend about a working day on it.

4) On-site interview with the team lead and a senior developer. They will go through your assignment and ask questions on your design. Main question is how you would implement a specific feature in their app, the press and highlight functionality on a member's profile. There were no other questions brought up after, so it's possible the interview was cut short after this about 30 minutes in. The main takeaway here is that they want to know whether you know the specific functions to override from having touch listeners or touch helpers to make a callback to update the UI.

5) Interview with the hiring manager if you make it past the previous stages.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement the drag and highlight functionality in our app?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2018.

Interview

After a phone screen, I had three rounds of on-site interview

1A- Interview with the engineering manager. Mostly general questions, and a system design question
    1B- Just after that, interview with 3 software engineers. I got specific questions about databases, a whiteboard coding question and a class diagram question

2- HR + engineering manager - questions about my previous jobs

3- Extra interview with an architect on a class design question. Given what I've been told before the interview, this extra interview is not part of the standard process.

Not a great experience overall. For the most part, the technical people don't seem to be used to interviewing.

But the biggest problem for me was the responsiveness of the company. They always said they would come back to me within a day or two but never did. This became a problem in the later stages of my job search, as my email asking for a status update (sent a week after the last interview) was ignored for another week... Without news from Plenty of Fish, I assumed that they weren't interested and took another offer.

I was very disappointed that after taking the time to come to the office 3 times, I couldn't get an answer to a simple emailed request for a status update.

I was reflecting on the irony of being ghosted by a dating app when I did get an answer after a week (ie 2 weeks after the date they were supposed to get back to me). They still seemed interested in me, but it was too late at that point unfortunately.

It's too bad because the engineering team looks solid. I expect that Plenty of Fish is missing on good candidates because of the recruitment process.

Interview Questions

Plenty of Fish Response

1 Feb 2019 – People and Culture Manager

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear you didn’t have a positive experience. I can assure this is not reflective of the standards we expect when interviewing.
    We always strive to create a positive candidate experience and agree that communication is important to ensure we bring out the best in a candidate. I’d like to offer you the opportunity to discuss it further so we learn from your feedback, so please feel free to email hr@pof.com.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

1- phone interview with HR - it was about my experience and why I want to join to POF
    2- phone interview with Team Lead - asked about how I debug apps
    3- on-site interview with Team Lead - asked about async and OOP (design interfaces and classes for a question)
    4- on-site interview with Manager and HR - talk about all of my work experience, it was about so long

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2017.

Interview

I got greeted by the door with the recruiter I had the telephone interview with and then
    3 people where interviewing me at the same time in a different room/
    1 was writing while I was talking.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know all about my past employees.
      What was good .What was bad about the job and if they would call them now what would they say about me?   1 Answer

Database Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2017.

Interview

A general fit interview followed by a couple of technical interviews and then further interviews with people in various management positions to determine all the non-technical, non-culture stuff. No points of this process felt repetitive, and there was a great feeling of accomplishment from getting through it, and also confidence that POF screens people well.

Interview Questions

• Was asked a technical question about an actual issue they had and how to figure out what went wrong.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Plenty of Fish in July 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was very nice, however the manager and another member on the team was very unprofessional and unrespectful.

- Late for 10 minutes, did not explain or apologize
    - Poker face since the beginning and whole interview felt like a interrogation instead of conversation, as they only ask questions and answer questions do not make effort for small talks
    - Unrespectful, the manager had legs crossed and lay back on the chair when he talks, and occasionally on his phone when I answer questions

Interview should be two way, if you're not serious about learning the individual and already go in with such attitude, why do you even have this interview in the first place?

11 Aug 2017 – People & Culture Manager

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear you didn’t have a positive experience with members of our hiring team. I can assure this is not reflective of the standards we expect when interviewing.
    We always strive to create a positive candidate experience and agree that two-way engagement is very important to ensure we bring out the best in a candidate. I’d like to offer you the opportunity to discuss with me further so I can personally take action to ensure we learn from your feedback so please feel free to email hr@pof.com. Sara, People and Culture Manager

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.