PrecisionLender Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

PrecisionLender Interview Questions

Updated 25 Jul 2018

3.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PrecisionLender (Cary, NC (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 4 steps: Phone Screen, Coding Assignment, "Coffee Screen", and On-Site Interview.
    ____
    The phone screen was brief, where both myself and the interviewer could go into some detail about what we were looking for. I was given an overview of what the company does, what some of their core tenets are, and how the interview process would proceed.
    ____
    The coding assignment was straightforward and fair - about 8 questions across C#, SQL, and JavaScript, and I was asked to complete at least one or two in each section. The assignment was given to me as a PDF and did not have a turn-in deadline; it was expressed that the only consideration would be the quality of the work.
    ____
    The "coffee screen" was a chance to meet with two current software engineers on the PrecisionLender team. This portion of the interview was a very general overview into my experience in a development environment, as well as some insight into the average day for a Software Engineer at PrecisionLender. I was given the chance to ask any questions about the company, their role, their likes/dislikes, etc.
    ____
    The final portion was the in-person interview. It was just short of a full day and consisted of a coding exercise, two interviews, and a lunch.

The coding exercise was intentionally simple and the interview told me that it was not meant to be a trap of any sort, but rather just a confirmation that I'm comfortable in a programming environment. I was given time to work on my own and use whatever resources I had available, with the interviewer checking in every few minutes. Afterwards there was a brief review, during which we ran and tested the code.

The first interview was a "standard" interview with two developers, each from a different team. There were questions about my resume, my history as a developer, past successes and failures, etc.

The second interview was a "technical deep dive" with three other developers (again from different teams), and focused mainly on my knowledge of the primary technologies used at PrecisionLender. We spent time going into specific facets of each technology, starting with general questions and getting more specific until they felt they were able to get a good idea of what I knew and didn't know for each.

I was then taken to lunch with three other members of the PL team, however this time it was not strictly developers - I was able to get a sense of what other teams PL has, and what the day-to-day workflow might be for someone on an entirely different team. The discussion was kept very informal and light, touching on things like background, hobbies, sports teams, etc.
    ____

All-in-all, the interview process was thorough, but at no point intimidating or excessive. I was happy to be interviewing with other developers rather than strictly managers and higher-ups, as it gave me an honest idea of what to expect if I were hired. Coming out of the interview, I felt that I had a very good idea of who PrecisionLender was, and that the process had left them with a very good idea of who I was as well.

Interview Questions

• What steps might you take to improve a slow SQL query?   Answer Question
    • What steps or tools do you commonly use when debugging?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with Unit Tests, and have you written them?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PrecisionLender in March 2016.

Interview

There were 3 rounds of interviews. A phone screen first, then they send you some coding assignments which are expected as soon as possible. Then there is one on-site with a couple of members of the team. This is to figure out if you are match with the culture over there. If they think you are good enough, they will call you for a full day interview where pretty much everyone in the company gets to talk (interview) with you. They really screen the candidates in every way possible.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PrecisionLender (Cary, NC (US)).

Interview

I applied online. In lieu of a traditional cover letter they ask you three narrative type questions. One is about the best customer service you have received lately.

They clearly are looking for personality "fit". I'm not sure exactly what that is, but many of the questions are centered around who you are, values, etc. They do seem to ask about very specific things on their website and expect you to have reviewed it thoroughly.

I was told the process was 1hr phone screen, 3 hr "deep dive" and possibly other meetings. I was asked for my salary range on the 1 hr phone screen. I was quickly rejected via email about 3 days after the initial call.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time something you tried at our job didn't work.   1 Answer
    • What appealed to you about this position?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PrecisionLender in October 2015.

Interview

I applied for a marketing position with PrecisionLender. It's an extremely in-depth interview process, and I only got through step one, which was an hour long phone conversation. After that would have come a 3 hour deep interview, going through every decision I've ever made. The whole process will take 3-4 weeks. Be prepared to explain your most recent job in depth, many times over, and why you want to work with Precisionlender. It might seem like an easy question, but you need to do your research on the company. They're different, and expect a great deal from you. They also get around 800 applications for each position. Despite this, they seem to not have an HR department - I was contacted and interviewed by the marketing department. This seems a bit strange to me.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PrecisionLender in April 2015.

Interview

PrecisionLender was very straightforward about the interview process and length, which consists of four rounds, two on the phone and two in person. They explained that the process would be long, and focus primarily on how good of a fit you were for the company.

The first interview was with a peer/colleague level employee, which was very informal with a couple softball questions about "why do you want this position" and "what would make you fit this role well." They were very timely getting back to me after the first interview.

The second interview was a tell-all about your life history, which PrecisionLender warned about. It was approximately three-hours on the phone, walking through every aspect of my life since elementary school. Although highly personal, it was an interesting process. However, the team interviewing, more on the management level, asked a number of clarifying questions that felt more aggressive in nature then conversational. For instance, I was questioned about hobbies in high school and about exactly how I came to the current point in my career, all while I was still in the process of trying to explain my entire life story. Overall, given the highly personal nature of the second interview, the team did not respect how difficult it is to remember your whole life when you are in your late 20's/early 30's and thinking back to the age of 12. I felt a little "doubted" about certain parts of my life, which wasn't a warm feeling when I volunteered my whole story.

The most unfortunate part of the process was the lack of communication after the interview and a generic rejection email. I was asked to submit "homework" after the second interview, answering a rather strategic and philosophical question. After submitting this homework I waited two full weeks and received a very generic rejection email, impersonal, and with little reasoning. Particularly after spending what amounted to 8 hours of my time on interviews alone, this was an amateur and very poor way to handle a rejection.

The company appears to have no formal HR staff, would I think impacts this non-traditional approach to hiring. I support the ideas, but you need some structure and rules of the road to make the system work. Management needs to look into getting a professional to handle this process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for PrecisionLender   Answer Question
    • Why would PrecisionLender be a good fit for you   Answer Question
    • Tell me your life story, since birth (or as long as you can remember back)   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PrecisionLender.

Interview

Interview was with 2 employees. They have a 4 step interview process. Interview call was 90 mins where they asked a variety of question about myself. They rarely ask about the position its self. They are more interested in how you would fit in with the company versus what your qualifications are. I asked specific questions about the job regarding the job description but they could really answer them for me. I think it was because the people interviewing me didn't know the exact answers. I was surprised by some of the questions they asked me as I have never been asked that in an interview before. They seem to ask the same question a few different times in different ways. Took 1 week to hear back from them. Interviewers were very nice.

Interview Questions

• Why is this company a good fit? How would you describe PrecisionLender. Why are you wanting to leave your current company? What you make at your current job vs. what you made when they hired you? What has been your biggest failure at your position? What salary do you want to make?   Answer Question

Marketing Department Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PrecisionLender.

Interview

I was called for an initial phone screen, which lasted 1 hour, and I did not make it past that round. I was notified promptly via e-mail. However, had I been invited to continue, there would have been a 2 hour phone interview, a casual coffee interview, and then a final formal interview at their office.

Overall I definitely had trouble connecting with the interviewer, I felt like I had to keep answering the same questions over and over because was just going down her list of questions and not listening to previous answers. For example, I must have been asked to tell her four separate times why I was currently looking for a job, and she didn't acknowledge that this had already been addressed.

Interview Questions

• They asked for specifics on what other companies and positions I was applying to, and followed up when I dodged the question with a generalized industry level answer.   Answer Question

Director of Strategic Partnerships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at PrecisionLender (Raleigh, NC (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied for the position over a month ago. I appreciated that they didn't just ask for a resume to be sent in but rather asked questions so the candidate could elaborate on their experience and personality. The application, if done mindfully, takes over an hour to complete, however upon submitting the application, I received the standard resume acceptance confirmation email. I then waited over a month to receive some feedback and all I received was a canned, "thank you for applying but we are not going to move forward at this time" email.

If you are going to request that good candidates take the time to give thoughtful replies to questions just to start the interview process, that good candidate deserves a timely response and some feedback instead of just being blown off.

Client Success Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PrecisionLender (Cary, NC (US)).

Interview

The interview process took a lot of time and wasn't clearly laid out for me when I started. The application required a couple of questions to be answered in lieu of a cover letter. My questions were about the best customer experience I had, why I wanted to work with PL, and a scenario where I was replying to a customer request to login. After applying, I participated in 2 phone interviews and 1 in person interview, approx. 2 hours each. In each of these interviews, I was asked multiple times why I wanted to work for PrecisionLender, a few very specific questions about their website, and to explain what I thought PL did. After the first interview, I was given "homework" to complete which required me to present some ideas I have for the position as well as how I would handle different situations.

After speaking with the recruiter and a couple of managers within PL, I was surprised that my in-person interview would be with 2 random employees. It seemed a bit odd to me, but PL had a big focus on "fitting in" with the company, so I went with it. This interview was a bit awkward as they were more interested in my personal life - especially TV shows which I don't watch a lot of. At this point, I was advised that the next step would be participating in an on-site interview for at least a half day - a big time commitment for a job you haven't been offered yet.

This is a long interview process and takes a lot of time from both parties. I assumed if PL was taking this much time with me, I must be doing pretty well so I was a little surprised to get the generic rejection email after the in-person interview. After spending over 6 hours in interviews with PL, I expected that even if I wasn't offered the position they would provide an explanation for why I wasn't a good fit (is it experience? is it personality? what went wrong?). I felt like my time had been disrespected to be dismissed so impersonally.

Looking back, I'm glad I wasn't offered the position. I have the impression PL is looking for young, HPLE employees with very specific personalities for their team. In my opinion, what makes working as a team interesting is having different and sometimes conflicting personalities with a huge variety of experiences that find a way to come together. I think it would be boring to work with people who agreed on everything all the time.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PrecisionLender (Cary, NC (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

I was contacted one day after applying for the Software Engineer position and asked to come in for a "coffee" interview. I met with two software engineer (one was quite senior, one was relatively new to the company) for about an hour and asked a few basic questions (what are you looking for in your next job, what kind of side projects are you doing, etc). This interview seemed like a chance to determine whether what I wanted and what they were looking for was fundamentally incompatible and it was quite low pressure.

The next step was an at-home technical assessment. It had three required problems and four problems where I was asked to complete at least two. It certainly was not a complicated assessment and seemed to be for the purpose of assessing whether a candidate was familiar with the technologies at PL (Microsoft stack). I was encouraged to use all resources at my disposal to solve the problems (Stack Overflow, etc).

The final step was a long in-person interview (about 5 hours long). I was given a simple programming exercise to complete on a computer (not whiteboarding). After that I met with several different engineers to have in-depth discussion about my previous experience and specific technical projects I had worked on in my current job. Be prepared to know a lot about at least one project you've recently worked on, because they will ask for details! I was also taken to lunch with employees from different departments so I could ask more general company questions, and the day finished off with a Q&A session.

I received a verbal offer the next day and accepted formally soon after.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.