Rackspace Technology Linux Systems Administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rackspace Technology Linux Systems Administrator Interview Questions

Interviews at Rackspace Technology

3.9

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology in October 2018.

Interview

After applying for job, I have digital interview link after 2 days. I have finished my digital interview. They asked basic linux commands like ( w, last, raid levels) . it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Rackspace Technology

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology (San Antonio, TX (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

I met with a manager and a higher level Linux admin and had a personality interview, mostly just asking how I deal with stress and how I feel I would work with a team.

I then met with two higher level Linux admins that asked me about things like the different RAID levels, how to set up a new disk, MySQL, and correcting web error codes.

The technical interview covered a lot of different topics, but was mostly focused on preparing and repairing web and database servers.

Interview Questions

• What was your favourite childhood toy?   Answer Question
    • What is the first thing you'd print with a 3D printer if you had one?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through the steps of setting up a new disk that will be a single partition that was just added to a server.   1 Answer
    • What would you do if, when following up with a client, you noticed you had misconfigured something, but the client didn't yet know about it?   1 Answer

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology in January 2015.

Interview

Hiring and interview process was easy and everyone seemed really friendly. I felt like I nailed every interview but got denied for the position anyway because someone else was more qualified.

Rackspace recruiters contacted me the first time for a DevOps position and they denied me for that position after getting my hopes up. Then they flew me out a second time the for Linux Administrator position and denied me the second time. I'm not letting this company waste anymore of my time.

Interview Questions

• During the in person interview they asked some crazy off the wall scenario that I had never experienced before and therefore couldn't answer... nothing a little research wouldn't have solved.   Answer Question

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Interview

Initial interview, very basic and probably easy for someone with any sort of formal education with Linux command line. The interviewer was very courteous, which made my utter inability to pass the initial interview that much more frustrating. Remember: if working with something becomes reflexive in day-to-day work, you may be unable to answer basic questions about it, similar to how a native speaker of a language doesn't think about the grammatical rules underpinning his or her sentences.

Interview Questions

• Having worked in a very specific Linux shop for awhile, I couldn't answer basic questions in this interview without having a terminal in front of me. Think for a second before passing on any questions, or you will feel like an idiot.   Answer Question

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology in September 2014.

Interview

4 panels each of 2 people. 2 panels were technical and the other 2 were culture. The technical side will keep asking you until you say "I do not know " and they will be waiting for the word after it, like what are you going to google, and what website you will go first.

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology (Austin, TX (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

The first interview I had was on the phone, with the recruiter. She asked me basic questions about previous work history, current work experience - Nothing too difficult or technical here. She then bounced me around to another recruiter, who later set me up with another phone interview.

The second phone interview was with a manager from Austin Rackspace. So there was some technical discussion involved - basic Linux / bash, iptables, resource usage troubleshooting, how to find information about the system and so forth. This is not very difficult if you have relevant experience.

The manager, after determining that you are technically proficient enough, will set you up (through the recruiter) for a TrueAbility test. TrueAbility allows you to log onto a server set up exclusively for Rackspace technical questions (traditionally called a "break box" fix or test).

The server was Centos and the questions were mostly about Apache2, Postfix, PHP, and mySQL. Please be expected to identify / edit / fix each service's configuration files. You will also need to utilize basic bash / mysql cli skills in this test (for example, how to place all incoming TCP connections into a file; or, how to import/export databases from mysql cli).

I had one hour to work on this. As you are by yourself, you can Google as needed.

Each follow-up from Rackspace took about a week or a week and a half through the recruiter via email.
    My new recruiter let me know that they'd like to see me in person. So, I was set up with my 4th interview in person, in the Austin office. Prior to this, you have to set up a "racker talent" online profile where you essentially fill in another official application.

This interview was by far the most difficult. It was three hours long, and consisted of two 1.5 hour interviews with three people each. The first section of people were all admins, higher tier. They had me sit on a company laptop which was hooked up to a TV in an interviewing office. From there, they had me enter screen and asked me some Linux quiz-like questions; their expectation is to have you display as much as skill as possible. Be prepared for scrutiny. They will ask you additional technical questions, i.e. to elaborate on a particular command, or to explain what something would be used for in a real-life situation.

If you are not familiar with x, but you bring up x anyways, they may prod you to make sure you REALLY understand what it is you're talking about. To some degree, I suspect they are trying to understand technical limits. Do your homework! And if you're really not sure, say so; we are all human, after all. I learned a few things after walking away from this interview for sure.

The second half of the interview was their HR team; they asked about customer relationships, and how you handle yourself in certain environments, as well as what steps you'd take in particular situations. Example: What would you do if you accidentally deleted a customer's database, even if you could restore it in 30 seconds? Or: If you had to reboot a customer's server to resolve an issue, how would you handle that?

I didn't get an offer after this interview - I got a voicemail stating they'd made a decision, and that other candidates were chosen. This was understandable because of some lack of technical knowledge.

Three months later, a recruiter contacted me, inquiring about another phone interview. They wanted to give me a 2nd chance since I'd made a good impression the first time around. The phone interview was nothing special, just re-hashing everything I'd gone through and discussed so far with the team. On the same call, the recruiter set up another in-person interview in the Austin office.

The interview was still three hours. However, this time I had three one-hour sessions with two people each hour. Instead of having technical and relationship questions separated, all three sessions combined the subjects. For some questions there was a whiteboard - "Draw me an example of a basic Apache VirtualHost." "If you had all the money in the world, what kind of servers would you set up and why?"

Other questions that I remember:
    "If a customer stated their website was slow, what exact steps would you do to troubleshoot it?"
    "If a website was reported as completely 'down', what would you do?"

There are many "stream of consciousness" technical questions like these - they can be very open to interpretation. Don't feel obliged to reply perfectly, just tell them what you'd do, and how you'd do it.
    Of course, there are also questions such as, "Are you familiar with our products, and can you explain them to us?" "What do you know about load balancing?" "Have you worked with mySQL replication?"

About a week and a half later, the recruiter called me back with an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• "If you had all the money in the world, what kind of servers would you set up and why? Draw it for us."   Answer Question

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology (San Antonio, TX (US)) in December 2013.

Interview

I first completed two phone interviews upon starting the process. First one seemed to be formalities about myself and some basic work history. Second phone interview was much more technical about working with Linux, some DNS, as well as what other applicable skills I had.

Afterward, I was given a breakfix through the TrueAbility website. This is an automated system that gives you a set number of things to fix and the grades it automatically. HR people can view your recorded session in case there are scoring anomalies. These tests are designed to be hard so it's okay to only get a few things correct; it is used to see where you would best fit in.

Finally, I made it to the in-person interviews. They are as difficult as others here are expressing. I interviewed at the Rackspace offices on three separate occasions spanning a couple of months. Each interview day consisted of at least two smaller interviews. In total, counting phone interviews and each individual interview from the blocks, I was interviewed by the company NINE times.

(A sidenote: I took the job, but I was not offered a Linux Admin role. There was some turbulence with training and placement so I took another position instead. Regardless, I still got a job!)

Interview Questions

• Many. Generally, they test your knowledge by asking you questions until they get an "I don't know" answer. This lets them know where your skills rest, and then they will ask you to take an educated guess to the "I don't know" based upon what you do know.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I used averages provided here on Glassdoor to negotiate a salary. Because this would be my first IT job I suggested the average calculated here as my starting income. This was agreeable.

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology in June 2013.

Interview

It was very difficult. I had to do a phone interview which was to see if I was a good fit for the company. Then I had to do a break fix so they can see what I possess skill wise. Break fix is very hard and is not meant for you to complete or ace.

Interview Questions

• They had me stand up and write on the white board the Linux ABC's in 60 seconds and specify what each command does in a terminal window.   Answer Question

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology (Texas, GA (US)).

Interview

First was phone screening, after a week I was asked to take online exam for the second round. After passing the online exam, it was the phone technical interview which went good. One week after, I was informed to have the 3 hour interview with different teams.

Linux Systems Administrator I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Rackspace Technology in February 2013.

Interview

Efficient and friendly from the beginning to end. Even if I didn't receive an offer, I still found it very beneficial. The technical questions were very thorough and each part of the interview process seemed smooth.
    I learned a lot from the process. Even thought I didn't get the position, I still found it very worthwhile and helpful. Even if a position was not offered at that time I still felt like there was a possibility.

Interview Questions

• What ports were used for FTP and SFTP   1 Answer

Rackspace Technology Response

17 Oct 2016 – VP, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback on your interview experience with Rackspace. I am pleased to hear that even though you did not receive an offer at this time for this role that you had a positive, worthwhile experience. We expect our interview experience to be Fanatical. That means that we treat our candidates with respect, we run a thorough process to make a decision, and that our candidates receive good communication and helpful feedback whether or not they get an offer. We hope that you have continued interest in a role at Rackspace and will apply again when you are ready. Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.